GM Diet as Cleanse

Options
I am attempting to do the GM diet to help kickstart me of my plateau (I haven't lost weight since August, though the past month I've been staying under 1440 net calories and working out at least 5 days/week the past month or so). Has anyone tried this?
I'm a vegetarian, so I'm doing this variant: http://msync.org/health/GeneralMotorsDiet.html
Basically, it looks like this

Day 1- only fruit except bananas
Day 2- only vegetables, one potato in the morning.
Day 3- fruit and vegetables only
Day 4- Bananas and Milk
Day 5- six tomatos and (for non-vegetarians--- beef), for vegetarians it says brown rice, but I think I will substitute it for Tofu, because I will need protein at this point.
Day 6- vegetables and 1 cup rice
Day 7- 1 cup rice, fruit juice and vegetables.

I doubt I will make it past day 5 because that is New year's eve which is also my birthday, and I will not be able to adhere to the "no beverages but water and tea" rule.

Has anyone done this before? Success stories? Failure stories? Things to look out for?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    sounds like an awful idea to me.

your body needs protein and fats FAR more than carbohydrates.

and this diet basically has you going protein free (or very limited) for the majority of a week......

there is no need for a cleanse. eat good foods and excercise.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    How hard are these workouts you do 5x a week? 1400 calories might be too low for you ( or 1400 net might be too high if you are miscalculating the true calorie burn) , and you probable need more protein to fuel those workouts than you are getting.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    At the very least I do 30 day shred, but I usually do more cardio and strength before it. I am also reasonably active (I work at a correctional facility so I'm generally moving around and meeting with residents, as well as I own my own home and do my own upkeep for it). My metabolism has always been crap, so I'm not surprised that as I'm getting older (turning 27 in a few days) its getting crappier and crappier, but I'm not okay with the way I look.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more to increase your metabolism and sorry but 27 is NOT old. A net of under 1,500 may not be enough.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I need to do something, because I've been working my *kitten* off and nothing has worked. I'm looking for information from people who have tried it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You age has very little to do with it, especially at 27 years old.

How accurately are you weighing/measuring and logging your food? Are you eating your exercise calories back and how are you estimating them if you do?
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I tried GM diet several times. You will definitely put back all the weight once you resume normal eating.
    But. to use it as a cleanse is not a bad idea IMHO.