SBF2 Reboot Boogaloo! February 22

mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,699 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Good morning!
I must be feeling better and more motivated if I am the first one to post this morning! :smile:

I don't know exactly what I am doing but I do know that I am going to try to check in only on days that I work out and after I work out. I may check in if I have some news too. I need to have goals but I am realize that when I write them on here I do not do them. So I am going to have to think this through. I have a slot each day in which I can work out. My problem with working out is that I burn out easily and I also tend to bleed after most work outs. :grumble: Which is not a motivating factor. Another thing I need to figure out. I've got to get my eating under control, how much and what I eat. I do not know how to feed my body. I hate research so I don't want to spend my days trying to figure out why I should eat this or that. I want someone to tell me and I just do it. :laugh: I have been inspired by the Olympians over the last ten days and realize that, though I will never be an Olympian, there is no reason why I can't be fit and accomplish things I never thought possible. I was doing my daily devotions and it was about beating the flesh into submission (not literally of course) and how we need self control. Self-control causes all areas in our life to come into line, not just the exercise/eating area. So that is what I am praying for.
I have not worked out today, but I will. I do not know what work out I am going to do, but something will get done. I will not live under the laws I have created for myself before (work out everyday, log food, etc), but I will do what I can and I will push myself and deny myself. I am going to try to limit desserts to twice a month but if I go to church Wednesday night and someone brought cookies and I already had dessert that week, I will not necessarily say no, but I will use self control.
I still need to find the motivation to work out. It's just not there.
Thanks for being here! I'm glad I have friends like you!
Thankful boogaloo!
MM

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I'm really struggling with still being sick. I am very, very, very cranky. I've been unable to sleep because my coughing fits are so bad. Not sure what to do there, and it feels exactly like what I had a few months ago. (interestingly, it was the last school break I had...so maybe my body secretly pencils in "get sick as a dog and stay in bed for a week" during any breaks in my academic calendar):tongue:

Also, I was supposed to get some news about the job either yesterday or today...and not yet. I'm trying to stay positive, while at the same time letting go of any expectations. What a difficult balance to maintain.

I was really hoping I could get a workout in today of some sort, but this is difficult when I can't breathe.:grumble:

Sorry, I'm totally a downer today. Boo.

Positive/letting go boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    V, I'm sorry you are so sick! :cry: It makes me sad. Have you tried putting Vick's rub on your feet at night. Slather it on, in between your toes too, and put socks on. It works almost every time for me and I sleep good. It usually wears off around 2-3 in the morning, so you may have to put more on. You might give it a try. It really helps with the coughing. :flowerforyou:
    Back to cleaning!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Positive thoughts for both of you!

There are some simple food rules that will help you eat better, MM. My favorite is: don't eat anything that has any ingredients you cannot buy at the store (or pronounce). I had a idea for a diet book recently - you can eat anything you want, as long as you make it yourself :laugh: Imagine making your own pasta, bread, cereal, ice cream, etc? I would never follow it, of course, but I'm sure, like every other diet book, it would sell.

The workshop was wonderful. I did firefly pose and was so dang proud of myself, that when I tried to write down the sequence after class, I couldn't remember anything that happened after that pose. I'm still smiling about it.

Today is a busy day - walk and yoga are on the schedule.

Blessings on your head, boogaloo, boogaloo!
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Hello, all. Got my spin class in this morning. My 8 year old little boy wasn't feeling well yesterday and continued to run a fever today. DH got to stay home with him as I had appointments that would have been difficult to reschedule. Same goes for tomorrow. He will need to be home again tomorrow because his fever was 103 this afternoon. At least we were at the doctor's office and were able to get him checked out good. Not strep. Not flu. Just treat his symptoms and if the fever isn't gone by Thursday, take him back in.

Got my hair cut today. Yeah. Looks much better.

V : I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know you are sick of being sick.

MM: Hang in there. I love reading your posts.

Mary: Congrats on your pose! I don't have a clue what a firefly pose is, but it sounds cool!

The "dieting" is going well. Weight is going down. Yeah! I'll see if I can get to the Y in the morning. I need to, but I also need sleep when I am rushing around during the day. I'm kind of a wuss when anything extra gets added on.

New haircut, Boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Snow/sleet in the forecast today. Sometimes they are saying it won't stick, but 34 degrees and rain are enough to make me want to stay at home. Sadly the hard yoga teacher will not be continuing her Tues/Thurs class this Spring - so this week is my last chance. Fortunately, I only have two class passes left. So far, nothing is closed - but I still worry about ice over bridges.

So the plan today is to try to make it to the hard yoga class or do yoga at home. Depending on the weather, I might try to make it to the yoga class at my gym tonight as well. I would like to make it to the gym and watch the Olympics, but they don't come on until mid-afternoon.

Brrr, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Does coughing burn calories? Because that's my exercise that my body has apparently scheduled for the day. At least my abs are getting a workout.

No news on the job front (which I'm understanding is bad news). Rats. I'm also hoping that I don't hear anything now, as I've found the only thing that makes me stop coughing is this theraflu stuff that also knocks me out for about two hours. I'm drinking it right now. Still and all, the fact that I've not even received a "thanks, but no thanks" email strikes me as alarmingly inconsiderate. Bummer.

I hope you all have a good, productive and healthy day. If you each workout an extra ten minutes for me, can I log it?:tongue:

Coughing boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    V, get better soon! I scrubbed the floors for you this morning!
    Mary, my brothers are so excited that it's snowing in San Antonio! I'm glad for them. It's hardly done anything here.

My day is a little thrown off because DH too the good car in case it snowed a lot, which it's not. So Alex didn't go to tumbling class today. But that gave me time to scrub the floors so that was nice. I still need to vacuum and spot clean the carpets and work out. I am sore from working out yesterday. One bad thing is that my lower back hurts. I don't know what to do about that. I thought it was from Taebo, but considering I haven't done it in several months, that's not the problem. I guess it's just working out at all that bothers it. Maybe it will get better?
    Our paperwork for the adoption is turning out to be a pain. We're getting irritated. Turns out that Alex has to also have a physical done (minus labs). Why didn't they tell us that last week before we went for ours? Also we were seen by the physician's assistant and that's not good enough. So now we have to see if the doc will sign the papers for us. What a pain.
    Some friends of mine are starting to plan a "shower" for M. (Almost typed her name there. Oops! :smile: ) I need to get a list of invites together. Y'all are coming right? :wink: I wish you could!
    I'd better finish up what I'm doing, get Alex down for a nap and get my work out done. It's cold. I don't wanna! But I will.
    Talk to you all later.
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    So, it looks like I didn't land the job. I knew it was sort of a long shot (very high profile choral conducting gig, now that it's all over...) Ah well, on to the next thing. The process motivated me to clean out my closet and apply for a work permit that I've been putting off the paperwork for a long time, so those are both positive things...Also, it would have been really, really hard to get on the podium and conduct a rehearsal in the shape I'm currently in. Best not to let my first impression in the community be of a hacking, wheezing person with a broken blood vessel in her right eye. (oooh...pretty...a call to the doctor says that "if it doesn't hurt, it's just ugly, and will go away on its own.")

I think I'm feeling a bit better today, so I'm in dangerous don't-push-it-too-early territory. Will have at least one more rest day, but I'm not torturing myself by thinking things like "I have to start working out again on Friday!" (which, in reality, I think and then tell myself that's not helping.) Also, I promised my husband that if I didn't feel a lot better by tomorrow I'd actually go to the doctor.

It looks like winter has finally arrived here. We had snow on Monday, and more in the forecast for the rest of the week.

Slippers, robe and Vick's vapo-rub boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Sorry about the job, V and hope you feel better soon.

The snow was almost perfect. I didn't cause any delays, closings, or cancellation of yoga classes - but we still got to see it. Hope you got your car back today, MM.

Had a great hard yoga yesterday. I don't know when I'll make it again. The only two classes she teaches now are 9:30am and 6pm on Wednesdays - the same day I take my regular teacher. I might go to the 9:30 class now and then.

Today is gym and yoga.

Kitty is finally getting better. Discouraging news is that he will have to remain on a special diet, so it's still a lot of work separating kitties throughout the day. The vet thinks it's IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) - we will check next month with an ultrasound.

Snow day, boogaloo.
  • mechanicmom
    Good morning!
    CP, I've been thinking about you! We miss you! I hope your dad is improving each day!

V, I am sorry about the job not working out. Bummer. Are you feeling better today? Glad winter finally came for you. :wink:

Bobbie, how is your son feeling? I hope no one else is getting it!

Mary, I'm glad your kitty is doing better, but that's too bad he has to be on the diet permanently. :frown:

If every week could be like this week, I'd say life would be nearly perfect! This has been a good week. I've been able to get house work done, and get in a few work outs, and have time to goof off (still too much time, but that will change when M comes. :tongue: )
    I have lost three pounds which is probably water weight but I will take whatever I can get. It's motivation to keep doing whatever I am doing. I've noticed that I have almost always lost weight in the winter. I am wondering if it has to do with cold and maybe not needing as much fluid? Or retaining as much or something? I have a tendency to gain it in the summer I think.
    The work out is done this morning and that's why I am checking in. :smile: We are making a quick trip to Austin/San Antonio this weekend. I'll wave to you Mary! We've been told by Olga, our agency director to get our rears in gear because she's getting worried that we won't get a court date before our papers expire in May. So we have to take what papers we have done down to Austin to get the state to stamp them. We could mail them but it will cost us ten days, so DH decided to take a day off work to go get it done. And my family is in San Antonio so we will see them for a bit. That's always fun.
    Probably no work out tomorrow, unless I have time in the evening. I may see if my sis wants to go for a walk or run while I am there. Not that I am in the shape to keep up with her but hey, it'll be fun!
    Today, general cleaning up the house, take Alex to tumbling since we missed it Tuesday due to the "snow", a little shopping, and packing. I am glad I already worked out. Have a great day ladies!
    What's for breakfast boogaloo?
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Good luck pushing through the adoption, MM.

Today, I'm teaching a class at one of the office buildings. More walking on the treadmill is also scheduled. I was worried about feeling lonely when husband was gone, but I'm just too busy for that. Bookclub tonight, cooking class tomorrow night, movie Saturday, then he's home on Sunday. I should plan to make some meals on Sunday. I have all day and nothing planned. I also have a guy coming to work on some doors on Monday, so it would be a good idea to have stuff to do around the house then as well.

The problem with canned cat food - my house now smells like canned cat food - yuck. Maybe I'll get the cats on a schedule - so I'm feeding them 2 or 3 times a day. It's bad enough that I would be embarrassed to have a stranger over. I'm rambling now.

Beautiful day, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Morning, my pebbles.

Just broke down and made a doctor's appointment. I had to go to the drugstore to buy a couple of things yesterday, had a coughing fit and had to leave and come back home. Blergh. Also, both eyes are icky now. I feel like a walking toxic waste dump.

So, I'm going to get checked out, in case it's a sinus infection (I'm pretty sure it is) or it's gone bronchial.

No energy to cook, so I'm on a cough syrup/popsicle diet. My other goal for the day is to figure out some no-cook foods for my husband to go buy for me.

Good luck with the red tape, MM...I think it's always better to just get stuff done in person. Mary, sorry about the smell. I had an "efficiency" apartment once that I shared with a cat that took canned food. I relate.

Better days soon boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Aw, V! Get better! :cry:
    Mary, my cat will not eat canned food! She lost ten teeth when she was five due to an infection. At that time I tried canned food and by day three she refused to eat it. When she was about ten she lost about five more teeth when the infection came back. So now she has four little bitty teeth and one "fang" on the bottom. LOL. Poor thing. She looks kind of like a viper when she yawns. :laugh: But she still refuses to eat anything but dry food! She's kind of overweight and tends to throw up fairly often (especially under stress, but I imagine some of it is due to dry food being swallowed whole) so I've been giving her cat food for weight loss/hairballs, which did nothing, and I've also tried food for sensitive stomachs. So I am going to look for something else today. I thought there was a "dry" cat food that was soft. She used to eat deli cat but I took her off of it because I thought the pieces were too big. She loved it though. She's going to be 17 in May. I got her when I was 17. She's still in great health! She limps a little and sleeps most of the time but she's a wonderful cat. I love her!
    Now I'm rambling. I shouldn't even be on here. lol
    Getting off!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Aw, V! Get better! :cry:
    Mary, my cat will not eat canned food! She lost ten teeth when she was five due to an infection. At that time I tried canned food and by day three she refused to eat it. When she was about ten she lost about five more teeth when the infection came back. So now she has four little bitty teeth and one "fang" on the bottom. LOL. Poor thing. She looks kind of like a viper when she yawns. :laugh: But she still refuses to eat anything but dry food! She's kind of overweight and tends to throw up fairly often (especially under stress, but I imagine some of it is due to dry food being swallowed whole) so I've been giving her cat food for weight loss/hairballs, which did nothing, and I've also tried food for sensitive stomachs. So I am going to look for something else today. I thought there was a "dry" cat food that was soft. She used to eat deli cat but I took her off of it because I thought the pieces were too big. She loved it though. She's going to be 17 in May. I got her when I was 17. She's still in great health! She limps a little and sleeps most of the time but she's a wonderful cat. I love her!
    Now I'm rambling. I shouldn't even be on here. lol
    Getting off!
    MM

I got my 19 year old cat when I was 19!

You can mix dry food with water and it becomes soft enough for toothless cats to eat.
  • lotusfromthemud
    It's official. I'm sick. I have bacterial walking pneumonia. Which sounds pretty hardcore. :noway: The doctor said I could have a chest x-ray to verify, but that I had a "textbook crackle in my left lung". The good news is the bacterial part, which means it's treatable with super strong antibiotics and high-octane cough syrup. I normally try not to take antibiotics, but if anything warrants the big guns it's this.

I'm looking forward to actually sleeping tonight.

Also, the doc said "When you have the energy, try to work out. If you can't breathe even close to normal, stop." This seems perfectly common sense, but I wouldn't have thought of it. The big challenge for now is making myself eat. The other day my husband tried to feed me and I said, "no I'm really not hungry at all" and he replied..."you are really sick, huh?":laugh:

Medicated boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Thank goodness for antibiotics.
    Everything ok CP & Boobie?

Today is double yoga and maybe a bike ride. I think it's time for a change from walking.

Tonight is a cooking class on how to present food. Should be fun.

Parsley, boogaloo.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi, Everyone! What a week. Everything fine, but so busy. Felt like I was running from one client or hearing to the next all week. Today was nice. No appointments. No court. Only thing on my calendar was lunch with a friend from my old office. It was very nice. Andrew made it back to school on Thursday. He is feeling much better. Lots of kids out in his class this week.

I only made it to two spin classes this week. I hope to do better next week. Still managed to lose a little this week.

Sorry about your job, V. You've got a great way of looking at it, though. Hope you feel better soon. We've been saying that for a while now, haven't we? Those pesky things can sure hang on, can't they?

Here's to a great weekend!

Weekend Boogaloo!!:happy:
  • yoginimary
    Didn't make that bike ride yesterday. A cool front came through and the winds were really high. I was pretty tired after those yoga classes anyway. Today, it's supposed to reach 65 degrees, and the wind has died down. I plan on riding up to the store.

The cooking class was a lot of fun. We learned how to do the green onion flowers, leek towers, some pretty fruit, cucumber cups, compound butter, apple cages & tomato roses. The chef wanted to make sure we ate dinner, so he had polenta, marinara, eggplant, and meat ready for us to assemble. I had tofu which, while it was nice of him to get it for me, didn't go well with polenta. Subbing goat cheese for tofu was wonderful. There was so much food with the appetizers we made (goat cheese & fig endive boats), they had lots left over. They were going to throw anything we didn't use away - so I came home with lots of food. :bigsmile:

Today, my mom, aunt, and I are going to a cake decorating competition (just to look). My brain will be full of food ideas. Oh, I don't know if I mentioned one of my new year's resolutions was to make 52 new recipes. I think I've already done 12. Since I will be stuck at home this week, I was thinking about an Ethiopian stew and some kind of egg bake.

Yum, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Just checking in...

The good news is, I'm getting some wonderful and well deserved rest, sleeping about fourteen hours yesterday, maybe a bit more. Thank God and the doctor for good drugs. My cough syrup makes me a little bit loopy, but I'll take that over coughing (or at least less violent coughing).

Now, my challenge is to allow my body to heal in its own time.

Hope you are all well, and having productive, fun, and workout filled days!

Practicing patience boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Hi pebbles. Sorry I haven't checked in this week - I think I've still been recovering from all the stress of last week. It ended up being a much rougher time than we were hoping. I spent a couple of nights at the hospital while my dad was in ICU, so my sleep schedule got a bit out of whack. And then I went right back to work all week after driving back from Cleveland last Sunday. So today was really my first day "off" in a while.

Anyway! My dad is doing much better. :happy: Things were moving in the right direction by the time I left on Sunday, and he was released from the hospital on Thursday. My parents made it home to Missouri last night, which is wonderful. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers - it helped to know we had a lot of folks pulling for us. :heart:

My eating and exercise haven't been great this week. I went to dance class, and walked at work, and that's about it. I'm beginning to feel like I can start getting back to normal now, though. Whew!

Starting to relax, boogaloo.
This discussion has been closed.