Ding Ding - I need more kettle bell

Options
So.... whatcha know about Kettle Bells? I've been hearing lots about them and considering giving them a try. What's been your experience? Any advice? Why do you like (or hate) them?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like them as part of a routine. I usually add in about 50 kettlebell swings (25lbs) and sometimes goblet squats too. They add another level of intrigue into a workout routine and I find the swings REALLY elevate your heartrate.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've been using kettlebells for over a year and a half. They have pretty much replaced all other kinds of training for me. I still do some barbell and bodyweight work, and when I have some energy to burn, I'll run some hill sprints, but no more traditional long-duration cardio or direct core training (e.g. situps, crunches, etc.) for me, and since kettlebells require the use of many muscle groups at once, you get more work done in less time.

Kettlebell swings and snatches do the trick on the cardio side of the spectrum. I burn 10+ calories per minute doing those, which is about the same as I burn running. For strength, I do Turkish getups, front squats, goblet squats, lunges, clean-and-presses, single-leg deadlifts, etc. And everything you do with a kettlebell strengthens your core. There is a ton of variety with kettlebells. I recently started training with double kettlebells drills, and that adds even more variety, and it has made me uncommonly strong for a woman my size.

Some things to note:

1. Kettlebells are very safe and very effective when used properly. When used incorrectly, they can be very dangerous, since so many of the lifts involve your posterior chain. Do not let that dissuade you from trying kettlebells. Let it only dissuade you from trying to learn kettlebells by watching random videos on YouTube or DVDs released by people who are not certified kettlebell trainers (Jillian Michaels says hi). Find a certified trainer. If there isn't one in your area, find some online and read their blogs and watch their videos. Many of them will even critique your form if you video yourself and send it to them. Two of my favorites are Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane. Look them up.

2. You need a heavy bell if it is to have any effect. Women should not start with less than 8 kg/18 lbs (more if you are already pretty fit). Men should not start with less than 16 kg/35 lbs. It may sound like a lot of weight, but once you learn how to do a proper kettlebell swing, you'll quickly understand why it does no good to do them with 5 or 10 lbs.

3. Do not listen to the idiots on this board who will tell you that kettlebell swings, snatches, etc., are upper body exercises and that they don't burn many calories. They are full of crap.

4. Kettlebells are not cheap. For good quality, you're looking at $2 to $3 per pound/$4 to $6 per kg. You can buy them used, but don't do that online. Go to a store that sells them used, a yard sale, or whatever, and try before you buy. Make sure they feel good in your hand. A rough handle can really tear up your hands and leave you unable to train.

For more info on kettlebells and support in your training, there is a group here on MFP for kettlebell users and people who want to learn more about them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/129-enter-the-kettlebell
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU JQ2122!!! This is awesome information!!!