3.2 lb gain despite eating under calories most days?

Options
I'm hoping this is just water weight, but on Saturday when I weighed in I was 196.4. Today when I weighed myself, it said 199.6!!! My starting weight was 200.8, so it was rather discouraging to see it almost back to where I started. Has anyone had this happen then seen the scale go back down? Also, possible TMI, but could it be related to constipation? I've been having a hard time going the last two days.

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I weigh the same as you and will gain 5 lbs of water in a day. I'll go up over 7 lbs in 2 days right before my period. It looks like you just started your journey, so here's my advice:

Chill out. Stop weighing yourself every 35 seconds. Believe in the process. This isn't going to happen overnight.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't watch the scale so often...our bodies fluctuate for a million different reasons. Once a week at most; one a month is what I do.
  • Santa117
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? You could have gained muscle.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1 pound = 3500 Kcal. Do you really think you consumed 10k plus SURPLUS calories over the last few days? I highly doubt it.

I know I did, but I knew I was eating like crap :)
  • flyersrule17a
    flyersrule17a Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it, but I'm supposed to start my period today or tomorrow. That could be it. I will try to stop weighing so often, but the scale calls to me, lol.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    water weight masks losses.

When I first started eating healthier and monitoring my calories in may I started at 177... I lost 2-3 pounds in the first week or two and then it showed me back at the original starting weight at the end of week 2. I was pretty discouraged but kept going. Well it's been 7.5 months and I've lost 30 lbs altogether. Stick with it.
  • denezy
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it, but I'm supposed to start my period today or tomorrow. That could be it. I will try to stop weighing so often, but the scale calls to me, lol.

haha me too... weighing yourself often is fine, but don't let it determine how you feel about yourself. If you do feel the need to weigh yourself, then look at it as an interesting way to learn about how your body responds.

I have found that the scale generally takes 2 days to respond to exercise or excessiveness. Alcohol makes me lose for 12 hours, then gains it all back. And not weighing yourself for a month is totally liberating.

Stick with it! :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I'm the same way so I weigh every morning.. this way I have learned not to let 1-2lbs dictate my mood for the day.. and when I reach a new low I get excited! lowest has been 158.8, this morning was 160.2... w/e!
  • Runs4Pasta
    Runs4Pasta Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating but I can easily flucate 2-4 pounds when I weigh myself daily. How clothes fit seems to be a better margin but the scale is still important to me. Also, 2 days pre-period I don't even bother because there is always a "weight" gain. Stay the course and a few days from now you'll have lost 3.2 lbs!
  • dynamodi
    dynamodi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Its water weight trust me! I get this EVERY month without fail I will go up 5 pounds on the scales and get upset everytime!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Umm yes. 1lb is 400g I believe. That food will be weighing a lot. Also if you've had lots of carbs or sugary things and sodium you could be holding water. Also depending on where you are in your cycle and sore muscles... Also counts for water. Did you weigh out and log religiously or use generic things in the database? Have you been drinking water to flush sodium out? So many reasons but if your under... Most probably the constipation! X
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't pay too much attention to the scale. Your weight will fluctuate. Plus be sure you are netting enough calories. I had this happen and I was literally killing myself at the gym and had no loss because I wasnt eating enough!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think it's a choice: Take a mental step back and get on the scale every day at the same time. Don't let it have any power over you at all. Just "notice," and perhaps make a note on a calendar or log. After a couple of months you'll see what your daily fluctutions are and can relax more about it. Or, weigh once a month on the day after your menses when water retention ought to be at it's lowest. So many things affect the scale number (water retention, hormones, intestinal waste being the biggest). I had to switch mental gears and see it as a tool that is NOT always a measure of FAT LOSS. And fat loss is my goal, not just weight loss. What to aim for is a gradual decline in the number over weeks/months when plotted on a graph, but there will be minor ups and downs along the way. Good luck to you.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

over three pounds of muscle in less than a week??? Not gonna happen.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

over three pounds of muscle in less than a week??? Not gonna happen.

i was just waitting for this :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Water weight. After a year of this I've finally learned to expect when the scale will show a gain (or no loss) due to water weight. Exercise, salt intake and TOM can have a pretty drastic effect in this area, and it has nothing to do with actual fat loss/gain, TRUST ME!

ETA ProTip: Don't weigh yourself 3-5 days before, anytime during, OR until 3-5 days after your period.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    op. bodies are crazy. there are so many factors. just stick with the healthy living and you'll see progress, <3

I know its hard.

But weight fluctuates. Overall patterns is what you are watching. My entire "weightloss journey" (50 lbs) my weight would vary 5-8 lbs in a day. so i just watched the range my weight varied in. And i noted any new lows that happened.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping this is just water weight, but on Saturday when I weighed in I was 196.4. Today when I weighed myself, it said 199.6!!! My starting weight was 200.8, so it was rather discouraging to see it almost back to where I started. Has anyone had this happen then seen the scale go back down? Also, possible TMI, but could it be related to constipation? I've been having a hard time going the last two days.

Water weight n poo can make a big difference! When you first start out the whole water works and bowels can get a little muddled with the change of diet.

Try not to go with laxatives or diuretics or anything like that.

Let your body get used to the new diet, it may take time.

Then TOM can make things change again, but all these things are going to take time.

Keep working at it, find what works for you it may take a few months, it is not going to take days that is for sure and it will all be OK x
  • denezy
    Options
    How has no one talked about a 5 lb poo yet?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How has no one talked about a 5 lb poo yet?

You rock girl, did you weigh it :wink: