Super slow down and really disappointed

Options
I was on a constant roll with my weight loss consistently losing anywhere between 1 to 2lbs a week. The last 3 months I have only lost 4 lbs. It is really disappointing. I have not slacked off, I have been diligent, and have great control so that makes it frustrating.

I dont have pig out days ever. I have been on 1200 calories daily. I didnt even go over my calories on Thanksgiving. Even on Christmas I only went over by 150 calories. I do not drink alcohol. I tried changing my food routine. I tried a spike or zig-zag day which made a difference for 2 weeks then back to the same weight loss stall.

I only have 4lbs left to reach my goal. I thought I would have reached that goal 3 months ago since I was losing at least 1lb a week so by that rate by the end of the month it would have been met. 3 months later and I am not there.

Is my body sick of being on 1200 calories a day? Any suggestions?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Go into your goals and make sure you're set to lose .5 lbs/week. Since you're nearly to your goal weight you need a smaller deficit. Also just be aware that the less fat you have the slower it comes off. It sounds like you're still losing though, just a little slower.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Strength training? Doing any type of interval training?

If all you've been doing is cutting your calories your body is adjusting to it's smaller mass and you may just be maintaining. If you've neglected to strength train at all during your weight loss then you have most likely lost muscle as well as fat which results in fewer calories required since muscle is metabolically active tissue and fat...not so much.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh one more thought-- have you gone in and adjusted your calorie goal to your new weight? As you get lighter you don't burn as many calories.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thought-- have you gone in and adjusted your calorie goal to your new weight? As you get lighter you don't burn as many calories.

I did adjust my calorie goal to my new weight the part that amazed me was that it upped my goal to only 1210 to lose 1lb a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,034 Member
    Options

I did adjust my calorie goal to my new weight the part that amazed me was that it upped my goal to only 1210 to lose 1lb a week.

You're already at a healthy weight, aren't you? I'm guessing, since you aren't losing as quickly and your ticker says only a few to go.

You need to know your TDEE at this point. Then you will be able to deduct 10-20% for weight loss. You should be eating way more than 1210 in order to lose weight at this point.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

• Kelley528
    Options
    Are you exercising? Strength training? Doing any type of interval training?

If all you've been doing is cutting your calories your body is adjusting to it's smaller mass and you may just be maintaining. If you've neglected to strength train at all during your weight loss then you have most likely lost muscle as well as fat which results in fewer calories required since muscle is metabolically active tissue and fat...not so much.

I havent done any strength training. I was going to start last week to try and jump start my body but holiday madness took up the free time. At this point I am starting next week ( ironically that has nothing to do with a new years resolution :tongue: ) I have dumbells, ab equipment, and an elliptical in my apartment. In the past when I was doing weight training to lose weight I got bulkier in some areas so this time i figured i'd lose the fat first then exercise more.

This whole weight loss journey I do at least 30 min walking 5 days a week.
  • bruner2170
    Options
    Sometimes it just happens for no real reason, I had to gain a few pounds back then broke thru a big barrier, another time I wasn't eating enough, you will figure it out soon... Good Luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

1 lb per week is probably too steep of a deficit at this point. Try setting your goal to half a pound a week.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    since you are only 4 lbs from goal weight you shouldn't be disappointed at all. Good on you for getting this far. Time to cut to 1/2 pd a week deficit. So that means eating 1360 a day.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Disappointed?!?! You should be celebrating! You are only 4 pounds from goal! You are consistently losing! It is supposed to slow down when you get close to goal! Four pounds in 3 months is not bad! It is a LOSS!! You should be so proud and excited! I've lost 65 pounds and it just fell off at first. Now I may lose 1 pound every 2 weeks and I am still 19-15 pounds from goal. I just don't weigh for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer. I celebrate every loss, even if its been over a week and it is only a half a pound! You've done great so far! Just keep going! And congratulations!!!
  • Kelley528
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Part knew it was time to "eat more to weigh less" at this point but it was one of those things that doesnt sink in until other people start saying the same thing.

I will follow the other posters suggestion an up my calories to lose .5 lb a week. Before the thought of half a pound scared me. It didnt seem like anything under a pound was significant but at this point its more easy for me to accept.

I am tired of being so restrictive so Im looking forward to some more freedom in my calories.

I'm hoping this will work :)

oh... Should I finish this week at my current goal setting? Does it make a difference if I change my goal to allow for the higher calorie setting mid-week? I always weigh myself on Saturday mornings.....Should I just start the new .5 lb goal this saturday?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Part knew it was time to "eat more to weigh less" at this point but it was one of those things that doesnt sink in until other people start saying the same thing.

I will follow the other posters suggestion an up my calories to lose .5 lb a week. Before the thought of half a pound scared me. It didnt seem like anything under a pound was significant but at this point its more easy for me to accept.

I am tired of being so restrictive so Im looking forward to some more freedom in my calories.

I'm hoping this will work :)

oh... Should I finish this week at my current goal setting? Does it make a difference if I change my goal to allow for the higher calorie setting mid-week? I always weigh myself on Saturday mornings.....Should I just start the new .5 lb goal this saturday?

There's no reason to wait to change your goal, I'd go ahead and adjust it.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal (thankfully) on 11/9/12 and upped my calories to try to maintain. I changed my parameters and MFP gave me 1510 calories instead of the measly 1200 I was eating.
    I am maintaining just fine and the best part of it? I am still losing.. a little slower mind you but still losing. I started maintaining on 11/9/12 at the weight of 135. I am eating 1510 calories at least each day. I am working out at least one hour per day. I never, ever have cheat days and I am still slowly losing which is great, cause it sure wouldn't put me underweight to lose just four more pounds to be 127. I have decided the weight of 127 - 130 is an excellent range for me so I don't look too skinny and will not be fat by any stretch of the imagination. When I get to 127, I am going to start increasing my calories, (a little bit) an decreasing my exercise ( a little bit) until I find the steady.
    Good luck to you.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try an exercise you can stick to all the time? I looove my gym and the classes I take. I have also branched out to kickboxing at a karate studio 3 times a month and belly dancing about the same. I also spin, zumba, and take strength training class because I would NEVER do THAT at home. I also add extra exercise to my day to boost my metabolism - walking and standing whenever I can and that helps. Your metabolism can slow down and eating so little calories can make YOU slow down and maybe you don't even realize it. Sounds like you are almost there, good luck!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Exercise seems to be the missing piece of your equation. I personally aim for a minimum of 40 minutes of HARD exercise everyday. Usually I get in closer to an hour and now I'm going to be adding in more yoga in the evenings which will increase my activity levels further.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me the safest advice is to increase your mfp to lose .5 a week. Eat those 1300+ calories and see if you start losing. As for strength training..that will make you gain for a while..as you'll retain water in your muscles. you might want to put that off..see if you get to goal first then do that as you up calories to maintain.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options

You're already at a healthy weight, aren't you? I'm guessing, since you aren't losing as quickly and your ticker says only a few to go.

You need to know your TDEE at this point. Then you will be able to deduct 10-20% for weight loss. You should be eating way more than 1210 in order to lose weight at this point.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Definitely this!!
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this..i am in a similiar boat...lost steadily and now at a plateau or up/down the
    same 2lbs.
    only difference is im not near my goal weight. im half way there though and dont want to get
    discouraged .
  • Kelley528
    Options
    I hit my goal (thankfully) on 11/9/12 and upped my calories to try to maintain. I changed my parameters and MFP gave me 1510 calories instead of the measly 1200 I was eating.
    I am maintaining just fine and the best part of it? I am still losing.. a little slower mind you but still losing. I started maintaining on 11/9/12 at the weight of 135. I am eating 1510 calories at least each day. I am working out at least one hour per day. I never, ever have cheat days and I am still slowly losing which is great, cause it sure wouldn't put me underweight to lose just four more pounds to be 127. I have decided the weight of 127 - 130 is an excellent range for me so I don't look too skinny and will not be fat by any stretch of the imagination. When I get to 127, I am going to start increasing my calories, (a little bit) an decreasing my exercise ( a little bit) until I find the steady.
    Good luck to you.

You said you are trying to maintain now...I was just wondering if the 1510 was suggested by MPF for your maintenance or if you are just easing into it by gradually raising your calories.

I followed other posters advice and set my goal for .5 lb a week and it says my new calorie goal is 1460. I am a little scared to start eating more out of the irrational fear that I will gain weight but I know I have to get to my suggested maintenance range of 1760 daily so I guess this new .5lb a week goal is a good way to ease into it.

When you raised your calories to 1510 did you gain any weight until your body adjusted? I know you said you are still losing at a slower rate Im just trying to get some insight into how my body will react by the introduction of more calories.