Build your own squat rack

Options
I have a barbell and 100lbs of weight. As of now it is loaded with 44lbs, which isn't a big deal for me to lift over my head and do squats with. I do not want to try this with the full 100lbs, though, since I can squat 90 but can only overhead press about 60.

I remember seeing a post or blog about how someone built their own squat rack, I want to do that for myself, or at least compare prices on building my own and buying one for home.

Suggestions?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, unless you are an experienced welder, you'd be much better off just being patient and looking on craigslist.
    I picked up a rack, plates , and a bar with a bench for about 200 bucks. With Christmas just passing, I'd say in the next few months you'll see a lot of lightly used equipment popping up for cheap.

I've seen some pretty sketchy home made stuff with concrete, buckets, and 2x4's. But I'd rather save up the extra money and purchase something that will last.

If your max is 90 pounds, doing 60 pounds for multiple reps is still going to allow you to progress in the meantime.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Here are some plans, but not sure I would recommend this. Given the materials + labor, you may just be better off purchasing a used one for $2-300.

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    wood ones look a bit like a death trap waiting to happen.
    I agree, $200 would be better than all the effort.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I am in the same boat but I agree that the wooden ones look terrifying. Thankfully my BF is able to lift much more than me and is willing to assist on the last set or two when I just can't get the damn bar over my head anymore. :smile: