Can I keep my curves?

Options
So I never thought I'd say this but how can I shape up without loosing my (small) curves? Boyfriend says he misses my "thickness"....(eyeroll)...Not that I'm trying to appease him, but I do happen to like my current size. I just want to cut up now. Is it possible to gain definition without loosing overall size?

Replies

• kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,052 Member
    Options
    The 10 pound dumbell and the Zumba class aren't helping. Get involved with a heavy lifting routine. Buy "New Rules of Lifting For Women"
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'be lost 55lbs and have kept my hourglass shape. I've lost the exact same amount of inches off my waist as off my hips and off my thighs. I hope that continues!
  • rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yes it is totally possible! When I put on weight I look pear shaped, when I lose I go hourglass. Mostly because I put most of my weight on in the lower half of my body but have always had a smallish waist.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that happened to me to I increased my calories and protein and started lifting weights.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    yes! if you naturally have curves you most likely should keep them... at my lowest weight I always kept my curves... every woman in my family is naturally curvy though, regardless of weight.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    good question. i never thought i woudl lose all mine and i pretty much did. I got 2 comments over x-mas from my mother and mother in law that i have no bum now.... i never EVER thought that woudl ever happen as i have always had a bum :(
  • juliaskater
    juliaskater Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Increase your strength training like squats, pushups, situps, planks, weights,etc. Strength training will help you gain definition without losing your curves. Hope this helps :)
  • ohthatzhott
    ohthatzhott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's possible but if YOU like how you look now, don't worry about it. Your boyfriend might miss your "thickness" but I'll put money on the fact that he still thinks you're hot. If he's still kissing you, he's not that upset about it. If you like how you look, then that's fabulous enough.
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this! great input everyone and now i know
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at maintenance. Eat all your exercise calories back.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    All types of strength training while eating to build muscle and get lean will help create curve to your body in the right places like your waist. It will pull you in more and give you a nice curve. I lost a little of mine by fat gain and muscle loss but i'm working on getting my body back and better.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Curves are just fat so if you don't lose too much fat you'll keep your curves. Eat maintenance and lift.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky you have a boyfriend that would use "thickness" in a positive sense.
    I am sure either way you look great.
    Good luck to you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at maintenance. Eat all your exercise calories back.

^This.
  • rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Options
    Curves are just fat so if you don't lose too much fat you'll keep your curves. Eat maintenance and lift.
    Curves are most certainly not just fat! Curves are the ratio of hip, waist and shoulder! So all girls who say they have curves are fat? I know tonnes of healthy fit girls who still have curves.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    You will keep your same shape, just a smaller version of it. I have always been pear shaped and now I'm a seckle pear instead of an anjou pear. I completely agree with lifting heavy.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Curves are most certainly not just fat! Curves are the ratio of hip, waist and shoulder! So all girls who say they have curves are fat? I know tonnes of healthy fit girls who still have curves.

>curves are the ratio of hip, waist and shoulder...created by fat. Everybody has fat. Some fat is necessary. To have hips or a butt you need to store fat there unless you intend on creating a "curve" with muscle or bone. I'm not putting down curves, I'm just stating facts. When people talk about "curves" they're referring to the fat stored on hips, butt, etc.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

>curves are the ratio of hip, waist and shoulder...created by fat. Everybody has fat. Some fat is necessary. To have hips or a butt you need to store fat there unless you intend on creating a "curve" with muscle or bone. I'm not putting down curves, I'm just stating facts. When people talk about "curves" they're referring to the fat stored on hips, butt, etc.
    This is where it gets confusing. Some people use "curvy" as a euphemism for fat, but the fact remains that there is a wide variation of natural body shapes regardless of body fat percentage. People who are naturally hour-glass shaped are so because of their bone structure. Even if they become very lean, they will still have that shape. People's shapes are also determined by where they naturally carry more fat stores. Curves can be created by fat, muscle, or bone structure, just depends exactly what people are talking about.

It sounds like the OP wants more muscle definition, but to stay exactly the same size she is now. Not sure if that's really possible as you'd have to lose some fat to get that definition, and would end up smaller.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! My initial goal was fat loss, hence my Zumba Christmas present and all my HIIT workout programs (Insanity, 30Shred, RI30), but next week I am starting Chalean Extreme. Hopefully that mixed with upping my calories will give me what I'm looking for. :-)