Juicing

Options
I was wondering if anyone on here is really big into using a juicer. I just got one for xmas and trying to figure the best way to use it. I have been trying to do some research online. I also came across some people doing an only liquid diet for say 2 1/2 months and loosing a substantial amount of weight. I am just interested in others thoughts on this. Is it healthy to only be using a juicer for a few months and not eat any food?

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    As long as you get sufficient calories, macros, and micros you're fine. That being said, why would you want to? People don't lose weight just because it's in liquid form. They lose weight because of calorie deficits. I find solid food more filling and it keeps me full longer.
    A juiced steak doesn't sound appetizing at all.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yep!
    I just do it to supplement holes in my diet.
    Once per day I juice up a load of veggies with one apple, then chug it down.
    LOVE IT!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    As long as you get sufficient calories, macros, and micros you're fine. That being said, why would you want to? People don't lose weight just because it's in liquid form. They lose weight because of calorie deficits. I find solid food more filling and it keeps me full longer.

I've juiced waffles and syrup and it tastes good. I ate that 3 times a day and because it was liquit, my body broke it down easier so it came out easier and didnt get me fat. I lost 43 lbs in a month!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    i like food too much.
    Just eat right and work hard.
    there are no quick fixes
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Yep!
    Once per day I juice up a load of veggies with one apple, then chug it down.
    LOVE IT!

her question was is it healthy to ONLY have juice and no food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Imo not.. why not eat food? Whether you eat 1600 calories or food or drink 1600 its the same thing but you can a lot more satiety through food. You can juice for snacks but a moderate deficit and exercise will be optimal for fat loss. And you want to minimize muscle loss which is generally the outcome of low calorie juice diets. Besides learning how to eat is what will allow you to maintain your weight loss.
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize that people Juice things other than fruits and veggies. I would never juice a steak lol. I was just curious on what others have done with a juicer because I want to start using mine.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    Yes that was my question and just any other info anyone has on how they have benefited from using a juicer.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just got one also, but im using it for good not evil. I am using it as a way to get a lot more vegetables and fruit into my body and less toxic foods. Im not fasting by juicing though...i love my food too much that.
  • Julian Michaels, has a blog about successful juicing, I think you can do it but take a day or two off, because once you put the carbs back in your diet you start to gain weight again.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    I juice, because I hate eating veggies but desire some of the benefits.
    Eating is better than juicing, but juicing is better than just blowing off veggies altogether.
    To each his own.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    Thank you I am going to check that blog out.

I want to use my juicer for good not evil :) LOL just trying to figure out how to do that. I too have a hard time getting fruits and veggies into my diet so maybe this will help.
  • estoney14
    estoney14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A juicer can be a great tool for getting nutrients into your body, especially if you find it difficult to eat all of your veggies (like me). I juice about once a day with a "Mean Green" juice. Look for the recipe on www.jointhereboot.com You might also want to watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," a documentary by an Australian man, Joe Cross, who spent three months on an only juice diet. The documentary provides lots of information about what kind of nutrients your body needs to function well. A previous person posted a little something about macro and micro types of food; you will learn more about this in the documentary. Long story short, you do not need to juice for long periods of time in order to detox your body and lose weight. Recommendations are for a beginner to try a 7-10 day juice fast first, and this is only if you are already a moderately healthy person. If you have more than 30 lbs to lose, I would suggest talking to your doctor before doing this. Good luck, and I pray you will enjoy how your body feels after trying out your new juicer! -Erin
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    I didnt realize that people Juice things other than fruits and veggies. I would never juice a steak lol. I was just curious on what others have done with a juicer because I want to start using mine.
    Today I mixed carrots, purple cabbage, kale, a tomato and broccoli with an apple.
    Pure good, clean nutrition! :bigsmile:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    Thank you I am going to check that blog out.

I want to use my juicer for good not evil :) LOL just trying to figure out how to do that. I too have a hard time getting fruits and veggies into my diet so maybe this will help.
    I've been juicing for 4 years - lost over 80 lbs, so here is the proof in the pudding.
    And yes, people are correct in saying eating beats juicing if you can swing it.
    I just won't eat all those veggies and fruits.
    Never going to happen...lol:blushing:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Today I mixed carrots, purple cabbage, kale, a tomato and broccoli with an apple.

Hmm. I think all those things you claim to have juiced today are fruits and vegetables. The person you quoted was asking what things "other than fruits and veggies" people have juiced.
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a lil one (20 years old) but my family has been juicing since I was 4 or 5. My grandfather had cancer and lost his appetite, so this was how he kept himself nourished. To the person juicing waffles and non fruits and vegetables....whatever floats your boat but that's weird and slightly counter productive to me.

I was taught when I was little that because most people have a hard time physically eating all the fruits and veggies they need for a balanced diet, juicing allowed you to get those. I don't know about you guys, but when you sit down and try to eat all your servings of everything on top of water, on top of whatever else your taking, it can be a lot to actually chew and digest without feeling bloated and unhappy. You can get just as gorged on the good stuff as the bad stuff. Also, my dad used juicing to get me in the habit of stopping to be a picky eater. He put in veggies I didn't like to my apple juices and fruit juices, so suddenly, I assumed spinach, cauliflower, parsley and brussels sprouts were sweet and delicious. To this day I eat anything on my plate, so if you have kids, this is great!

I feel juicing just keeps us well rounded and can also help keep our system clean. When I had the stomach flu in elementary school, my dad juiced me parsley, pears, carrots, and apples and it cleaned me right out. I was only sick for a day and a half! Juicing is really best left in the vegatable fruit department :)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I can actually answer this one. You have a lot correct already so lets get that out of the way. The juicer also has to have a calorie deficiency just like you say. That said there is a pragmatic reason for doing it. You can use a juicer to help you meet your macros. Some foods might fit perfectly in to your diet but they just don't taste very good. In this instance the juicer can make it more palatable to consume something good for you that you would not otherwise enjoy. This can also make foods more portable. It is a lot easier to carry and drink with a lid rather than carry the actual food item itself.

Juicing does not have to be a replacement for eating food. It can simply be a way of making your life more convenient. Your steak can stay in steak form.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options

Hmm. I think all those things you claim to have juiced today are fruits and vegetables. The person you quoted was asking what things "other than fruits and veggies" people have juiced.

Perhaps you could photoshop yourself into a reading comprehension class.
    HMMM....no that's not what I'd recommend...maybe you should read my posts...and comprehend...duh!
    In the meantime....drop down menu..IGNORE USER...YOU!:laugh:
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone on here is really big into using a juicer. I just got one for xmas and trying to figure the best way to use it. I have been trying to do some research online. I also came across some people doing an only liquid diet for say 2 1/2 months and loosing a substantial amount of weight. I am just interested in others thoughts on this. Is it healthy to only be using a juicer for a few months and not eat any food?

Oh I also forgot to mention that I've had people do the liquid diet....if your doing it for personal/spiritual reasons, which I've had people do, more power to you, because it takes a lot of discipline etc. If your doing it for the weight...maybe EASE into it. If youre dead set do 2 weeks. I can't get past a week just because I NEED something to chew. In the documentary "Hungry For Change" I watched in highschool, some people did if for a month. However....I don't necessarily think that going that long is a good idea. The people I saw were doing it to RESET their bodies and were also vastly overweight. I'm also pretty sure after a week or two they added solid fruits and veggies while still juicing. I'm pretty sure juicing is the start for a diet like that, and you have to introduce everything else back slowly. I would see a physician before committing to that.