Not enough calories

Katgod318
Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I drastically changed the way I was eating. I haven't excluded foods that I want to eat so much as decreasing my intake an portion size. Don't get me wrong I eat a lot more chicken, turkey, fish, and veggies than I ever use to. I also exercise 5-6 days a week. I am running into a huge problem now, and I know it is why I am not losing weight right now.....I am not able to eat all of my calories. I have done everything I was told to do to revamp my eating to lost weight, and now between my eating and my exercise I am not eating enough calories. My calorie goal without workout is 1770 a day, then if you add the 600-900 calories I burn a day working out, it's insane. I usually end up with 400-1200 extra a day!!! This is not right!

Is there something I should be doing different, something that would be better for me to eat? HELP!!!

Replies

• Kat 1770 is my magic number too. But since Im a guy and really appreciate fine beers I didn't have the trouble getting to 1770+ the workout burn. HOWEVER. I did cut the beer out for lent and have found the same issue. I have added fiber calories ( Fiber rich wheat thins can add colories with hadly any fats or sugars) and specifically made sure I kept my sugars down and have a pretty good week. I eat a little bit all day long and have a sensabile dinner. Its worked for me.

Kelly
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Simple Answer: exercise less or change what you're eating. Your body needs fuel, end of story.

Add a fruit smoothie with protein powder to your breakfast: there's 300 calories
    Add a handful of unsalted or raw nuts to your salads or cereal: there's 150 calories.
    Marinate your meats in spices, vinegar, and a splash of lemon, orange or lime juice: there's 50-100 calories.

Long Answer: Good for you for choosing quality over quantity. Just remember to feed your body. Besides adding a few healthy supplements to your diet, you may also consider switching to exercises that still give you tone, but burn fewer calories (like low-impact aerobics, yoga, pilates, ballet, etc.). The most important thing is to give your body what it needs. A 900 calorie deficit is not the answer 99.9% of the time. Shoot for 500-600 (based on your goal to lose 100+lbs) and see how you feel. It's also a good idea to consult your doctor and possibly a nutritionist. They'll be able to do blood work and run tests to see what's a healthy deficit for you. Every person's body is different.

Hope this helps!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    definitely add some calorie-dense healthy foods like nuts & avocados, and a little cheese too (not the non-fat kind!). HTH
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Honestly, if you're not starving at the end of the day, I wouldn't stress about it. A lot of people don't eat back all their exercise calories. Listen to your body--if you're hungry or sluggish, add some healthy calorie dense foods like nuts into your diet. If you aren't hungry or feeling bad, I really don't think you need to be hitting that exact number everyday. There is no reason to feel like you need to stuff yourself just to hit that magic number.
This discussion has been closed.