snow shoes

Options
I like taking walks. Here in Michigan it just snowed about six inches and while I was waddling through the powder I started thinking about investing in a pair of snow shoes. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should look for a good, sturdy pair? Has anyone ever gone snow-shoeing? Opinions and stories are welcome. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I love snowshoing. I just went this morning. Go to EMS if you have one by you or order them online from there. They are a good company to work with. Some people will probably tell you to get cross country skis instead, less work and more enjoyable but I disagree. I like the adventure of snowshoing. I go 2-3 times a week in the winter weather permitting.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Army in Alaska we snow shoed all winter long. In deep snow (several feet) it is very hard work if you are in front since you have to break trail for everyone behind. In shallow snow it is much easier since you don't sink in up to your knees with every step. A lot also depends on the type of snow. In dry powdery snow you sink a lot. In wetter, denser, snow you tend to stay on top. Still, it is more work than simply walking on the sidewalk.

If you get some it will be a lot of fun if you get off the trail and take off cross country to explore.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great workout!! Dont spend alot of money! ****s sporting goods has some nice ones not to costly!! Have fun and besure to hit somehills!
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great workout!! Dont spend alot of money! ****s sporting goods has some nice ones not to costly!! Have fun and besure to hit somehills!
    [/quote

Omg! It wont type the name of the store! Lol
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    lol D!ck's :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout! I love to go snowshoeing but can never get anyone else to go. They all think it is too hard!
    Costco carries snow shoes but I'm not sure how durable they are. Whatever you buy, make sure you get the right size. Yep, they are sized-usually according to the user's weight. :flowerforyou:
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Woot! Thanks so much for all your suggestions!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ski shops and sports consignment shops usually have used ones. Or you can rent a pair for waaaay less than they usually charge for skis.