Too big to run??

Options
13»

Replies

• snowboardn
    Options
    I started at 308 lbs... and while I cannot run even a quarter mile straight yet... I can still run, my feet don't hurt, I don't have shin splints so if I can do it comfortably (taking it slow and easy) anyone can do it.
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!! I'm definitely going to do the C25k program! I've heard so many great things about it!! thanks again!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I was bigger than you when I started c25, and did my first half last year. Try it. It is very rewarding.

My biggest advice would be not to neglect your stretching. Make sure you stretch out very well after each run. Your weight will mean your leg muscles will take some strain, and you need to look after them. Also you might want to look into a once a month sports massage.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    I was very obese, but ran mail box to mail box, then 2 mail boxes..and so on.
    I'd jog, then walk, and before long I was going a whole half mile, then a mile, then 2 miles....
    Just get out and give it a go.
    Take it slow...mail box to mail box.

I do this! Mail box to mail box or driveway to driveway.
    I am 5'7 and 215. I started running two years ago at 195, which I ran a half marathon at. I am a slow pace, 12 min mile. I started with the Couch 25K program and swear by it! You can do this! One thing, I swear by the right shoes, get fitted! And the best bra which my fave is Enell.

I just bought my first pair of fitted running shoes (found out I overpronate - explains excruciating shin splints) and I also use Enell sports bra! I figure if it's good enough to support Oprah, it should support me. :wink:
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do C25K. You can do it. Go slow. Don't push too hard. Remember that running builds muscle as well as cardio endurance, so you may feel great but do not push it. I'm recovering from a stress fracture (8-12 weeks recovery) because I pushed it.

Also, get properly fitted for shoes at a local running store.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Build up to it slowly and you'll be okay. I'm 5'9" and 238 and I've been running for a while. The spring loaded decks of most treadmills help make it less stressful. If I run more than 3 - 5 miles on a hard asphalt or concrete surface, my knees, hips and ankles will be 'complaining' the next day. But as I get lighter, I assume that'll get better.
  • LaceyAnderson
    LaceyAnderson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Running is awesome! Good luck!