Protein?

In my diet profile under the goals tab of the MFP website it says I need only 45 grams of protein a day. After doing some Internet research I read that an exercising individual needs 1-2 grams per kilogram per day. WTH? "...1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight per day for endurance exercisers and 1.7 to 1.8 grams per kg per day for heavy strength training." (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm) Things that make you go HHHmmmmm? :-/ I am doing both types of exercise. I usually end up around 70-85 grams per day. Any input MFPs?....

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Protein is really good for you so i would never worry about getting too much. But i adjust macros to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    manually adjust your macros. MFPs default on the macros is quite lacking IMHO, especially if you're trying to maintain or build muscle. I do a zone at 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat. My doctor has recommended 30% protein as my max due to too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. Above 30% can cause problems if you already have health issues or are pre-disposed to kidney related health issues.