Large breast and feeling very winded when running......

Options
So I'm a 36DD, down from a 40DDD. I wear 2 bras and have no problem with bouncing anymore making me uncomfortable. However, I feel very winded while running despite my body being fit and not getting tired physically. Do you think this could be due to breast size or possibly exercise induced asthma?? It's not horrible by any means, but it prevents me from running more than a mile. :( I do much better with HIIT sprints but would like to throw some long steady runs in my training along with my heavy weight training 4-5 days a week. Mix it up a bit, ya know.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am a 36DDD and I only get winded like that when I try to run too fast. I doubt your issue is from breast size, but I'm no doctor. I'd say try slowing down a bit-see if that helps.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm at 36DDD, down from a 38DDDD and I've run long distances at both sizes. Get an Enell goddess bra! It's a life saver! They're pricey but they last forever.

Oh and the cardio part is separate from feeling "fit" for me. If I haven't run in awhile I get really winded and struggle to get into a good pace, despite not being physically tired.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with your breast size, everything to do with the fact that you don't have the endurance for longer runs yet...HIIT does not build endurance....Run slower, it's not a race, and you will be able to run further without stopping...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ah, those aren't that big for running. (Trust me, I know on this one!)

It's not likely it's the boobage that's making running difficult. I have very large breasts, and this has never been an issue for me.

You just need to build up a bit of endurance and stamina. You're probably out of breath because you're pushing to far too fast too soon. Slow down and see if that helps.
  • Kfarrell6
    Kfarrell6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Enell bra for sure!
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's the asthma, I have it too and it gives me a rough time while running. Do you have a rescue inhaler? I use one before a tough workout, about 10 min before, and it really helps me. If you have health care, I'd recommend looking into one. :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear two bras when I run.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Do you have asthma? Is so that's a good possibility. If not, slow down and take deep breaths, expanding your chest AND stomach, then make sure you exhale completely. You can increase your endurance by continuing with fast walking when you have to stop running. Don't give up!
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm down from a 36DDD to a 32DDD. I was really winded when I began running as well. The most important thing is to pace yourself. Too hard too fast will leave you winded and tired before you need to be. A recommended pace would be a "conversational" pace, meaning you should be able to talk without gasping after every word.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Get a better compression bra for running. You're basically punching yourself in the chest with your own boobs with every step right now, that's why you feel winded. If you have to wear two bras to run, neither of them is doing a good job. I've heard good things about Enell bras, but personally I have an Armour Bra from UnderArmour and I love it. Whatever else I wear over the Armour Bra is just for modesty; I don't need anything else to contain my heaving bosom. I'm usually a 38E/F, but a 36DD Armour Bra fits me perfectly. Diсk's Sporting Goods sells these in their brick-and-mortar stores, so if you've got one of those nearby, pay them a visit to try the bra on at least. It costs basically the same from Amazon, though, so if you like it you might as well buy it there.

EDIT: No, word filter; that's not a swear. It's a name.
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    I do not think it's your size. I have "your problem" too and they don't make me winded and I run very long distances. You need to build up your endurance. I would suggest slowing down and running intervals to increase your speed. Like the other girls suggested, put the money into good sports bras, it is so worth it.

And no fair that all you ladies got shrinkage with weight loss. Only my band size changes with weight loss or gain, never the cup.

Good luck!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think breast size is a contributing factor. I also went from 44DDD to a current 38D and the only thing that helped was building up my endurance. You say you're pretty fit, so I would look at asthma or other (health) reasons.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have both issues, I am a 38 GG, yeah crazy right, and I have asthma. I am up to running 2.5 miles without stopping, but it took me about 4 months doing a running training program to get there. I have always had a large chest, but it has been the asthma that has given me the endurance issues. You should definitely talk to your doctor about getting an inhaler, it helps me out a lot. Good luck!
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies for all the input. :) Gonna try taking my speed down a notch and go from there. My mother and my daughter both have asthma so I guess that could be a possibility. Gonna talk to the doc. I'm definitely a lover of heavy lifting and kinda hate cardio in general so this problem of mine totally discourages me even more. Lol. I need it though to shred some more fat as I am pretty pleased with my strength and muscle gains. :)

Thanks again!