SUCCESSFUL MEN, Look no further!

Options
foraubs
foraubs Posts: 263 Member
I'll be short & sweet in my call for help:

My father finally agreed yesterday to give MFP a try and I could barely contain my excitement! However, he's yet to log anything on his own and I feel like he may need to SEE IT to BELIEVE IT!

My dad is a couple of years shy of 60, 5'6, 225lbs and had his second heart attack earlier this year. His cardiologist says he needs to drop some and has suggested calorie counting. It is my hope that by being a bit more mindful, the first few pounds will fly off and give him the motivation he needs to see that he can do it!

I'm asking any men out there with similar stats or otherwise to share your success stories and photos here to help me try to help my father. I know certain health issues can be corrected/managed through diet and exercise and some even get off their medications -- what a thrill that would be! He's got a little grandbaby that wants quite a few more years out of him still :)

Thanks for your time, your consideration, and (hopefully) your willingness to help!

Replies

• foraubs
    Options
    BUMP

... for the love of my faja!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the love of seeing some hot men - erm and also for your dad! x
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    I really wish I was more similar stats wise or a closer age so I could be of more use, here are my pics anyway.
    At my heaviest I was about 280, in the second picture I'm 215. Still got a fair way to go.
    I had a BMI of 34.1
    It's now 26

I don't know if your father will read this, but although I'm young I have a spinal problem which makes strenuous exercise hard,/painful, so the results came mainly from diet alone. It was surprisingly easy and satisfying to eat healthy. My advice would be to jump into this, you will not regret changing your life.

hgpIC.jpg?1

tgvwr.jpg?1
  • foraubs
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :) He will be reading these, I'm just hoping that some others will join in your example and share their stories for him!

Hope to see lots more when I check back next!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Success Stories (with pictures) here. Your dad will do it or not.....you can only set a good example and hope for the best.

To Dad: Get with it!!!!! Your kids need you!! You want to die at 60? Didn't think so.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here are pics I posted of my first 50 down. I am 58 pounds down now but started back at the gym and my weight loss slowed as my muscles started to firm up and I raised my daily calorie intake. I still want to lose a few pounds but am very happy where I am at now and the rest is just the cherry on top :-) (also there is a thread here of all male success stories, I will hunt it down and post it.)

Before I started 268 pounds

[img]http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/johned63/Photobucket Desktop - JOHN-TAB/50 down/268-1.jpg[/img]

Not finished yet 215 pounds

[img]http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/johned63/Photobucket Desktop - JOHN-TAB/50 down/215.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/johned63/Photobucket Desktop - JOHN-TAB/50 down/rib.jpg[/img]
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'll be short & sweet in my call for help:

My father finally agreed yesterday to give MFP a try and I could barely contain my excitement! However, he's yet to log anything on his own and I feel like he may need to SEE IT to BELIEVE IT!

My dad is a couple of years shy of 60, 5'6, 225lbs and had his second heart attack earlier this year. His cardiologist says he needs to drop some and has suggested calorie counting. It is my hope that by being a bit more mindful, the first few pounds will fly off and give him the motivation he needs to see that he can do it!

I'm asking any men out there with similar stats or otherwise to share your success stories and photos here to help me try to help my father. I know certain health issues can be corrected/managed through diet and exercise and some even get off their medications -- what a thrill that would be! He's got a little grandbaby that wants quite a few more years out of him still :)

Thanks for your time, your consideration, and (hopefully) your willingness to help!

I hope you get lots and lots of responses. Here's a bump for you :flowerforyou: I lost my dad at 59 to a heart attack so I understand the emotion. Also wanted to provide the link to this thread with many men responding with their pictures.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746521-guys-only-show-me-your-before-and-afters

I'm sure there will be some guy in there with similar stats/age as you father.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here you go, lots of pics/stories of men before and after.

PS - I have several men on my friends list and he is welcome to add me if he wants.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746521-guys-only-show-me-your-before-and-afters

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/760588-guys-only-show-me-your-before-and-afters
  • foraubs
    Options
    There are a lot of Success Stories (with pictures) here. Your dad will do it or not.....you can only set a good example and hope for the best.

To Dad: Get with it!!!!! Your kids need you!! You want to die at 60? Didn't think so.

While I appreciate you being forthright, I was hoping to consolidate a number of stories so he could look in one place as he is not yet very user-friendly with the site. I figured the easier I could make it for him to access, the better chance he'd look and in turn, be motivated.

To the rest of you who posted the already-existing threads, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate your help. I plan to e-mail him the link to this board right now.

Best wishes for a successful new year, and thanks for the help!
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well I started this journey just about a year ago. And sorry, I don't have any pics.
    I'm 49, 6'2", my starting weight was a very unhealthy 330, I'm now down to 243, 9" off my waist. MFP played a huge part in my lifestyle change. You really have no idea (or at least I didn't) what you are putting in you on a daily basis until you start tracking it. I have never felt like I was starving myself, but yes, certain high fat/high calorie foods do have to go.
    Now, I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to motivate my daughter to adopt a healthier lifestyle. I have at least got her thinking about it, but sadly, no changes yet.
    It's like I told her, "A year is going to go by, no matter what. Where do you want to be next year?"
    Good luck with you guys. Have your pops add me as a friend if you like.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    Love this thread.....just bumpin it to keep it going for your Dad!
  • scssam
    scssam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Though at 45 not 60 but my weight and height is similar to your dad.

5'7" 226lbs with a 38-40 inch waist
    to 190 and 32-34 inch waist

This took me a year and it was not easy but it was worth it.

jan-to-decemberr_zps98fcfda82_zps91958746.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!