Have been here a week

Options
Hi I've been here a week and have lost 2 lbs....feels good to have some tools to work with to lose weight and be healthy...tracking food really seems to be helping!

Replies

• atouchet
    Options
    Welcome! I can tell you it only gets better from here...

As a newbie, I'll let you in on the biggest secret ever. Even the diet books and tv commercials don't want you to know: CABBAGE! (wink)
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Atouchet,
    How do you cook your cabbage?? I love it, but would like to get other idea's for cooking and eating it!

Thanks!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Advice for MFP newbies:

1. If you don’t already have one, buy a wok.
    Stir fry is quick, easy, filling, and yummy!!!!
    2. If you don’t already have one, buy a food scale.
    You might be surprise at how much (or little) something really weighs.
    3. If you haven’t already done so, take before pictures.
    You will want them when you lose your weight.
    4. If you haven’t already done so, take your measurements (neck, chest, hips, waist).
    You will hit a plateau (not if, but when) and when you do, you will be happy to see your measurements go down, even if your weight doesn’t.
    5. Make sure you eat all your allotted calories. Failure to do so could send you into starvation mode, and you will not lose weight.
    You will see debate regarding exercise calories… my suggestion is that it depends on the person. But always eat at least as many calories as your BMR.
    6. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
    It flushes your system, as well as keeping you hydrated. Sodas, coffee, tea, etc... do not count.
    7. Make sure you exercise.
    I bet you didn’t get here because you exercised too much.
    8. If you don’t have one, get a heart rate monitor.
    Make sure it has a chest strap, and make sure it records calories burned. You will find that exercise machines are inaccurate, and the calorie numbers given in the exercise diary are just guesses for somebody else’s body.
    9. Don’t give up… if you feel like you haven’t lost any weight, check your measurements and look at your before pictures.
    If you are still discouraged, get some support here at MFP!!!
  • nannax6
    Options
    Hi I'm new here but have been losing weigh now for the last 10 months. I am doing this by myself and now I want to have someone to talk to or get encouragemnet and be able to encourage other ppl also
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Hi I'm new here but have been losing weigh now for the last 10 months. I am doing this by myself and now I want to have someone to talk to or get encouragemnet and be able to encourage other ppl also

Then you came to the right place. The resources and the people make this something that will keep you going to your goal.
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support!!
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!! Glad you're here! :happy: