Scale Problems

Options
Okay... I am at the end of my rope. I have been honest with my entries and 5 days ago I weighed in at 186.4 (3lb loss), today I got o the scale... I AM THE SAME WEIGHT THAT I WAS WHEN I STARTED... I even went to the gym twice in the past 4 days.
Please help me... I feel like Im going to be stuck in this fat body forever!:sad:

Replies

• FitKitty
    FitKitty Posts: 46
    Options
    Okay... I am at the end of my rope. I have been honest with my entries and 5 days ago I weighed in at 186.4 (3lb loss), today I got o the scale... I AM THE SAME WEIGHT THAT I WAS WHEN I STARTED... I even went to the gym twice in the past 4 days.
    Please help me... I feel like Im going to be stuck in this fat body forever!:sad:
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My first question would be, What kind of scale do you use? I have a new "high speed" digital scale plus body fat plus....it will give a slightly different result nearly every time i get on. i usually take at least two and if im feeling really frisky i will average them but usually i just take the lower.

Tim
  • FitKitty
    Options
    I have a digital scale... by Body Basics. This is the second one I have owned because it seemed to be good (I always match the dr's office weight on it).
    (I love taking the lower weight as well.... This time I didnt get one) :sad:
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    A couple of things...it could very well be water weight...and second, try using a tape measure and checking your measurements, you could very well be gaining muscle mass and losing inches...I have been on MFP since late December, and have not noticed a lot of movement on the scale, but have lost nearly 16 inches...hang in there :flowerforyou: vee
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week at the gym. Same time each tuesday, just before my weight class. Your body fluctuates daily, choose one day a week to get on the scale and forget the rest. I had to throw my home scale away as I was becoming to obsessed and letting that little *kitten* ruin or make my whole day. Besides, if I weigh in at the gym, I have to go!

Once a week is plenty for weighing in.
  • Wildbran
    Wildbran Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that if you've been working out, muscle weighs more than fat, so you've probably lost body fat and replaced that weight with muscle ... there won't be a change on the scale (which is very frustrating). And that nasty water weight can be terrible as well. I'd take measurements for sure! Grats on sticking to your goals and for being honest with yourself...that's hard to do sometimes! Keep it up and you'll see that scale start to change again!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ all of the above!

I actually get on usually every day and if its up .5 a pound or even 1 pound I know I in no way gained a pound over night or even a 1/2 a pound...so I tell myself its water etc....

and usually it goes back down....I didn't get on today because I'm trying to stay away from that bugger....we're on a love/hate thing me and my scale....and last I got I loved it so I'm quitting while I'm ahead....also yes do try your tape measure....I just did it for the first time since I started and I was very happy with what I lost....

best of luck don't get discouraged!!!!!!!!!!! it will show!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • FitKitty
    Options
    Thank you for all of the help. I am going to try to stay off of the scale (I love the idea about weighing in at the gym... that way I HAVE to work out). I did go to the gym today, and said that I am going to try to not let a number dictate my self worth (yeah.. I know... It sound great in black and white... Im working on believing it). I am going to JoAnns now with my dog, and I am going to buy a tape measure (oh God PLEASE DONT ET THAT BECOME MY NEW OBSESSION :laugh: .
    Again... Thank you for all of the help...

HERE'S TO WATER WEIGHT :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    also FK, remember, this isn't exact science. It's body chemistry, which contains lots and lots of variables. Using a scale is the same as doing any statistical analysis, the smaller the sample (time between weigh ins) the bigger the margin for error. You need to look at this like a college degree. It takes years to get to the point we want to get to, not weeks or months. I'm not saying don't keep track, just, try not to get hung up on numbers from 1 week to the next, as they mean a lot less then you think.

Maybe this week your body was concentrating on increasing your lung capacity, or toneing your legs, maybe next week it will think that is sufficient and start burning more calories from fat reserves, maybe the week after it will start strengthening your heart muscle...etc there are all kinds of reasons why we lose more weight 1 week then the next. Just remember, no matter what the short term results, in the long term, if you stick to it, it WILL work.
  • FitKitty
    Options
    Thanks banks1850... (I saw the dreaded S word (statistics which I am working on as we speak)). As easy as it is to say not to get hung up I think most people do. I have hidden my scale and I will use it every 2 weeks to track progress. I am now using a tape measure to track inches.
    :flowerforyou: