Planet Fitness??

Options
I am currently looking at joining Planet Fitness and wanted to get my MFP buddies feedback. Are you a member and if so, what do you think??

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've heard their latest radio ad, $99 for a year membership, good until December 31st - then I Googled Planet Fitness and read a TON of bad reviews - so I'm not signing up.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Don't like the place. They created a lunk alarm so you can't drop weights, grunt, etc. Says it is judge-free zone and it isn't as you can tell from their commercials. If you want somewhere cheap just to do treadmills and cardios, I'd suggest there. But if you want to build muscle and be able to go up in weight go to a better gym like Gold's Gym.

Pretty much the lunk alarm is a way to not let you move up in weights because you'll never know how high you can go because you're so worried about the lunk alarm going off. Sometimes I can put up 8 times with a 85lb dumbbell on incline and then sometimes my arm just goes limp and i end up dropping it, they can't expect us to know that will happen.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!! :)
  • smcwilliams516
    smcwilliams516 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I belong and like it just fine for the price. It is a great place for me to run away from the elements.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I belong and like it just fine for the price. It is a great place for me to run away from the elements.

I agree.
    I think a lot depends on the location---they're all individually owned franchises.

The one I belong to is pretty laid-back. I use the treadmill when it is too hot to run outside. I've been known to stay on for 90 minutes if no one's waiting, and no one ever says anything to me.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    Options
    Have any of you tried the 30 Minute Circuit? It looks like a great idea. Thoughts?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It's great for a beginner.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I like the 30-minute circuit. My problem is most people in the gym don't use it correctly. I'll be in station 6 out of 20 and someone will walk in and go to station 7 and it totally screws up the point and my routine. But what can you expect for 10 dollars a month I guess.....
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    From my experience, the overall atmosphere at Planet Fitness isn't conducive to health and weight loss. The place smells dirty, there's a ton of lazy people not actually working out, and the gym gives out free pizza on Friday's which isn't exactly supporting good food choices. At the Planet Fitness in my city, homeless people buy memberships just to use the showers.

I think if you're going to invest in a gym, you should do a few trial memberships and find a place you look forward to going to - a place where the people you're surrounded by are motivating you and a place that feels nice, clean and enriching. If I don't look forward to going to the gym, I tend to waste the membership and not ever go..
  • kimmieyr1
    Options
    Bumping. Was thinking of joining as well.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    As someone else has mentioned....there really does seem to be alot of differences with locations. I love my Planet Fitness and there are some serious, fitness minded men and women at my location. I have never heard the lunk alarm go off and neither have any of my friends. It is a no frills kind of place but my location has free weights that go up to 75 lbs, several cable stations and Smith machines, in addition to all the cardio and ab machines. I'm not looking for anything else. The staff and clientele are great and the place is spotless. I would check out your local PF before joining....as some here have been less than impressed. Good luck!!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! The PF I am looking at in Cleveland and is pretty new and extremely clean. I'm a runner and just looking for somewhere to do cardio over the winter season. Plus, I see they have tanning! :)
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I've been a Planet Fitness member since April. I love it, it's everything I need. As some have already said, it depends on where you go as they're all independently owned and operated. The one I go to is pretty laid-back, the staff is amazing, the members are awesome. There are guys who go there and bulk, some get away with doing power lifts (again, depends on who's working at the time).

You see all types there: bulky guys, older folks walking from machine to machine with the help of a cane, high school kids, people who are overweight. I've never felt judged there, which is what I needed to get started and how I got to where I am now.

I started on the 30 minute circuit and now use the free weights and cable and smith machines. They have the materials, it's up to you to seek out the means to learn how to use them. That's why it's amazing that they have a trainer on staff for members :)
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been going to mine for 1 year and have no complaints! For 10 dollars a month and being open 24 hours it's awesome! I've never heard the lunk alarm go off and it's always clean! =)
  • sababy993
    sababy993 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the black card and I like it because of all the different locations. I have one near my house and one near my job so it is easy to drive to. It is great if you just want the machines but there are no classes like la fitness so thats kind of a downfall.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've been a member for about a month. Our facility is new and clean. They promote all of the classes and personal training sessions. They always have plenty of cardio machines available, even when it's super busy. I like that the machines have an iPhone dock so you can charge your phone and listen to music.

Everyone is really friendly. The staff always greets me and says goodbye. The people working out focus on their own workout; I never feel like anyone is snickering at me like I did at the Y. I like the weight machines because they're easy for beginners to use.

I recommend checking out your location. I got a thorough tour, and they didn't try to upsell me.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm a planet fitness member and I love it. I'm a beginner and was a little self-conscious to work out at a gym but at PF I feel comfortable.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you search the board there are plenty of reviews, the good, bad and down right ugly.

A lot of facilities have clothing, exercise and attitude restrictions. For example, grunting isn't allowed, dead lifts are not allowed, some have removed dumbbells and some places won't even let you wear sleeve-less tank tops all because it's intimidating.

Personally, I'd pass. My local facility doesn't allowed deadlifts and I enjoy those, and I do grunt when I lift heavy. I bought a home gym off CL and a few at home DVD programs, I'm set.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking at joining Planet Fitness and wanted to get my MFP buddies feedback. Are you a member and if so, what do you think??

I LOVE Plant Fitness, the rates are amazing, the staff of the one i went to rocked, and if someone even stares at you they can get thrown out. I moved out of state and they dont have one here, im so sad. But yea, def go!
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I came here for science talk about a planet dedicated to fitness. Leaving disappointed.