TDEE.. say what?!

Options
Ok I searched this on line and it brought me back to here but I still 1.) don't understand what in the halibut this is and 2.) how to calculate it.

My weight keeps fluctuating (this week obviously from over eating) and I really think it has to do with me not eating enough calories and then when I have a bad day (go over maybe about 400-500) I gain weight no problem. Plus on days that I work out I burn at least 550 but most of the time usually 1200 since I work out twice and not counting the weight lifting I do.

I feel like I should be a lot thinner than I am now because I am doing everything "you're suppose to do" minus figuring out the TDEE tdum tdee tdaa tdum..

Replies

• preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    oh and so there is more info I am 26 I weigh 162.5 my calories right now if I want to lose 1.5lbs a week are calculated at 1350
    and I'm 5'4''
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your tdee is around 2400 calories or more. This would put you around 1900 calories that you should be eating daily. I know this wont comply with your 1.5 lb per week plan but that is too aggressive for a person of your size. 1/2-1 lb is ideal. Also, adjust macros to 35/40/25 (c/p/f). Also, limit cardio to around 2 days a week for an your a day.. HIIT is better. And do three days of heavy weight training for an hour a day. Limit reps to less than 10 for ideal strength gains. And on your six day either do a yoga or endurance weigyt training day like a cross fit/body pump class. If there isnt a class do max reps for 2 minutes. And lastly do not eat back exercise calories as its already built in the equation. And most importantly take a day off. You make your biggest gains on your rest days so maintain the 1900 calories.
  • preslyann50
    Options
    Your tdee is around 2400 calories or more. This would put you around 1900 calories that you should be eating daily. I know this wont comply with your 1.5 lb per week plan but that is too aggressive for a person of your size. 1/2-1 lb is ideal. Also, adjust macros to 35/40/25 (c/p/f). Also, limit cardio to around 2 days a week for an your a day.. HIIT is better. And do three days of heavy weight training for an hour a day. Limit reps to less than 10 for ideal strength gains. And on your six day either do a yoga or endurance weigyt training day like a cross fit/body pump class. If there isnt a class do max reps for 2 minutes. And lastly do not eat back exercise calories as its already built in the equation. And most importantly take a day off. You make your biggest gains on your rest days so maintain the 1900 calories.
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    Two questions. Fist) what is HIIT? and why is it better than cardio?
    I do a lot of Zumba because its' really the only cardio I like (minus kick boxing)
    2.) If I can't do heavy weight training what would you suggest? I had a huge part of my L5 disk removed and the remaining section of it has slipped so I am limited to my weight training. I keep my lbs around 10-15. An hour might be too much for my back unless there is a way to modify it but get the same results. Can you suggest some?
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. As I understand it you do intervals of all out sessions where you get your heart rate way up for 15 to 45 second intervals.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    HIIT is high intensity interval training.. its essentially an interval or high and low intense cardio exercises (youtube insanity or turbo fire for an example). Its better than stead state cardio as it has shown to be able to preserve your lean body mass.

Do you have a physical therapist? You could probably use smith machines to alleviate pressure on your back. I am sure you can google a routine for people with back injuries until you build up your muscles to prevent back strain. Also, using a weight bench could help support your body.

And classes like zumba could be used for your cardio days.
  • preslyann50
    Options
    Thank you! I'll will be hitting up google.

EDIT: Sorry one last question. Is it bad to keep doing cardio more than twice a week even if it's with the heavy lifting days. Zumba has become my "social outlet" lol. I can scale it back but I just want to know if it's better to only do it twice a week or if it's ok to still do it with theHIIT
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What type of cardio? Running or a class like zumba?
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE, BMR, etc. here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Read this area for everything you need to know about TDEE and eating at the right amount of calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less