The Pro-Fat Culture and You

Options
2»

Replies

• Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have zero issue with people who are overweight who love their bodies.

I have zero issue with skinny people who love their bodies.

You have to love yourself to want something better for yourself. If weight loss or being healthy is what you want for your body, you want this because you love your body and want the best for your body.

I'm overweight, I could stand to lose 80 pounds but I LOVE ME. I love my body as it is, I DGAF if someone else doesn't like it. I am doing better for my body because I'm getting OLD and I don't want to get to an age where I need to make changes to live a quality life and it's to hard to do so.

Love your body.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I think it is healthy to embrace your body as it currently is, in that you should love yourself now, wear clothes that flatter you now, and do activities that you love now. You shouldn't feel ashamed of your body so that you hide away, wear ugly, baggy clothes, and stay home from that party because you are embarrassed about the way you look. I think this is a positive message from the pro-fat movement. I also think that loving your body will lead to taking better and better care of it by feeding it healthier foods and giving it exercise, and for most people this will mean inching their way toward a healthier weight. Abusing your body with unhealthy food, overeating, and a sedentary life is not self-love.

I am a pole dance fitness instructor and we have ladies of all shapes and sizes. I think it is wonderful to have an overweight or obese woman come into the studio and learn to love her curves and move in a sexy way, with the body that she has walking in the door. What usually happens though, is that ladies want to come to more and more classes, and over time their bodies start to change...new muscles develop while pounds of fat begin to melt away. But I love that we have such an accepting environment there that everyone feels welcome and can feel beautiful in their own skin even if they are a little (or a lot) overweight.
    :happy:
    I have zero issue with people who are overweight who love their bodies.

I have zero issue with skinny people who love their bodies.

You have to love yourself to want something better for yourself. If weight loss or being healthy is what you want for your body, you want this because you love your body and want the best for your body.

I'm overweight, I could stand to lose 80 pounds but I LOVE ME. I love my body as it is, I DGAF if someone else doesn't like it. I am doing better for my body because I'm getting OLD and I don't want to get to an age where I need to make changes to live a quality life and it's to hard to do so.

Love your body.
    I absolutely agree...:heart:
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is a "movement" for anything and everything. Don't mean it's reflective of an entire society. I don't buy that modern society embraces fat.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do or say, never have. For a long time I didn't care about being fat - if others didn't like it, their loss. I lost weight for my health and to please me. I didn't occupy wall street, I never drank or did drugs, didn't beat the fat acceptance drum, and don't plan to jump onto any bandwagon, fad, movement any time soon. I do what I want for me and mine. And I don't get irritated by whatever foolishness others want to do.. a waste of time and energy.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I don't know how relevant this is, but what I really hate is the skewed view that society in general seems to have of what is "normal" weight. My (overweight) mother has told me not to waste away and made other semi condescending remarks about me losing a couple pounds. I weigh 146. I eat 2500 calories a day. Definitely in no danger of that. An (overweight) friend said "you're thin. almost too thin. you don't want to lose anymore weight, do you? if i were you, i'd be done." A (overweight) family friend remarked about her fit BIL(86 year old) who walks many miles a day that he was "anorexic."

I don't roll my eyes and tell you you don't need to eat that Big Mac. So stfu. Is what I want to say. lol.
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    There is a "movement" for anything and everything. Don't mean it's reflective of an entire society. I don't buy that modern society embraces fat.

More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese. From the CDC website. (OBESE! NOT Overweight!) i don't buy that modern society DOESN'T embrace being fat.
  • manhn1
    Options
    Apparently, 98% of the US population do not make more than $250,000.00. I suppose with your logic, none of them care to be rich.
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Acceptance and complacence are not the same thing as being happy about it. But, to each their own. I feel like i see a big IDGAF for about 60-70 % of the population about weight every time I go out in public.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Apparently, 98% of the US population do not make more than $250,000.00. I suppose with your logic, none of them care to be rich.
    :tongue:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

Some people are lazy. Just saying.
  • manhn1
    Options
    Acceptance and complacence are not the same thing as being happy about it.

I honestly do not know that many fat people who just soooo happy about their physical and health condition.

Ya know, I get it. I lost a bunch of weight too and I get those "concerned" comments from friends and family. Annoying? Hell, yeah. But you can add all those comments about me being too thin and it would not compare to the silent look of disapproval that I used to get when I took that extra slice of pizza.

I mean, how many threads do we get from posters who are afraid of going to the gym because of their weight? Do people think they're just making their fears up?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese. From the CDC website. (OBESE! NOT Overweight!) i don't buy that modern society DOESN'T embrace being fat.

I think a huge part of our culture embraces instant gratification and the easy way out. It's easier to pop a diet pill (hoping to magically lose weight) and eat a big mac than it is to make a clean meal from scratch and sweat on the treadmill.
  • zombiekookie
    zombiekookie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This right here, I agree.

I'm for self love. Loving your body at any size or shape, with no one else getting to tell you otherwise.
    I understand we got points of extreme were as society we might want to assist people huge to tiny sizes that keep them from walking, moving and just plain functioning as a human being.
    I don't think a 300 lb person of average height should be told they are terrible and can't love themselves; Just like skinny people with slender bony bodies don't need to be informed where the nearest burger is.
    As for this pro-fat movement, the only beef I have with it is the terrible reversal attack on skinny people.
    ALL SHAPES AND SIZES, PEOPLE!!!! We come in all shapes and sizes.
  • zombiekookie
    zombiekookie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just because everyone is fat doesn't mean society has stamped it okay.
    Our weight loss obsessed televisions tell me otherwise.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Is it really a pro-fat movement? Or an anti-bullying movement?
    ...you can add all those comments about me being too thin and it would not compare to the silent look of disapproval that I used to get when I took that extra slice of pizza.

I will probably never get to 'thin', but I'm working on looking healthy. I don't get those silent disapproving looks anymore, but I remember them well. And to be honest, people who have lost a lot of weight can be even more sanctimonious and obnoxious than ex-smokers.
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it kind of irks me personally...but I think there are a few different sides to this issue.

I think some people are born with larger bodies and that no amount of diet and exercise is going to really make much of a change in that - in this case I think that accepting your body for what it is can be a really great and positive thing. You can't force your body to be something it isn't for long.

But then you have people like me who were skinny most of the lives and through some reason or another (in my case it was a medication I was on paired with poor eating and lack of exercise) became fat. I'm not going to accept my fat as being "who I am" because for most of my life it wasn't who I was. I don't feel comfortable with my body as it is.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do or say, never have. For a long time I didn't care about being fat - if others didn't like it, their loss. I lost weight for my health and to please me. I didn't occupy wall street, I never drank or did drugs, didn't beat the fat acceptance drum, and don't plan to jump onto any bandwagon, fad, movement any time soon. I do what I want for me and mine. And I don't get irritated by whatever foolishness others want to do.. a waste of time and energy.

^^^This. I am an awesome person now. And...I was an awesome person 95 pounds ago.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actually wish more people were honest with me when I was younger and had more time to get healthy then sugar coat it.

I lived through rose-colored glasses that I wasn't "that big" or I was "Just curvy" But in reality I was overweight and heading straight to unhealthy fat. My husband still says that I am not fat when I am 100lbs overweight. He doesn't want to hurt me and I understand that, but it doesn't help either you know? It's not their fault I am overweight but I do wish people were more honest without being cruel.