Vegan questions?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Where am I saying to eat unhealthy?
    Vegan is not necessarily "healthy". You said yourself it can be unhealthy .
    I am concerned about her getting enough nutrients. I'm suggesting she eat as healthy as possible and still try to eat within her philosophy.
    If right now all she has as an option is green salad and baked potatos, where is she getting protein? Where is she getting calcium? Where is she getting the rest of her macro and micro nutrients?
    If she has the option to eat things like eggs (healthy), dairy (can be healthy), etc, but chooses to cut them out because she wants to eat vegan without the ability to choose vegan foods that will provide her the nutrition she needs, she is not eating healthy.

If she were not a student, bougth her own groceries and made her own meals, I would not suggest that. But the fact that she tells us she is extremely limited in her food options already while still eating meat and dairy, she will be much more so as a strict vegan.

Vegetables are loaded with proteins, enzymes, antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins etc.. There's even been research published in medical journals that show dead protein(what you would find in eggs or chicken for example) to cause cancer.
    Dead protein........seriously? Eggs cause cancer, who would have thunk it.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you have a protein deficiency I would highly recomnend wheatgrass tablets(or a shot but tastes nasty peas, beans, legumes, broccoli, brown rice, chlorella and spirulina.
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 2 years and I'm interested in going vegan, too. I've tried and failed, but I think my problem was not getting enough protein and calories. I may try again using smarter methods.. I'm going to keep checking this thread for ideas. haha
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you have a protein deficiency I would highly recomnend wheatgrass tablets(or a shot but tastes nasty peas, beans, legumes, broccoli, brown rice, chlorella and spirulina.

Her previous posts -
    I think all of you should know: my food options are seriously limited because I go to a college in which we have a dining commons and I can't afford to go out and get food on top of that, so that really limits selection.

Generally, there is some lettuce, and some salad options, but it's not really fresh food, and the only other "healthy" options are a baked potato, which is probably not good to eat at every meal, and some form of sugar free jell - o. It has different stations with different options but the only things that get stocked and replenished regularly are things like pizza and french fries.

What should she she do for B12, Iron, calcium, etc?

If she can't afford real food, how will she afford supplements. And if they aren't offereing brown rice, brocolli, beans and legumes now, where will she get it?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Her previous posts -
    I think all of you should know: my food options are seriously limited because I go to a college in which we have a dining commons and I can't afford to go out and get food on top of that, so that really limits selection.

Generally, there is some lettuce, and some salad options, but it's not really fresh food, and the only other "healthy" options are a baked potato, which is probably not good to eat at every meal, and some form of sugar free jell - o. It has different stations with different options but the only things that get stocked and replenished regularly are things like pizza and french fries.

If she can't afford real food, how will she afford supplements. And if they aren't offereing brown rice, brocolli, beans and legumes now, where will she get it?

Spirulina contains B12. Spinach and Kale contain lot's of Iron, and calcium. Vitamin D3 which is very hard to find in anything other than sunlight can be supplemented by eating mushrooms. Spirulina and chlorella can both be found in capsules or tablets all over the internet in case you live out in a college dorm or something. They are both considered superfoods.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    But I can agree that I'm not here to debate and make enemies in the process. I saved my mom from nearly dying in the hospital of high blood pressure complications and thanks to a vegan diet her systolic has gone down from 180 to 120 in approximately 2 weeks. I was a vegetarian for a long time but in order for me to break a plateau where I was stuck at 155 lbs I had to go transition to a vegan diet. God bless you all and I hope your methods work for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    A topic i wrote on a similar subject a while back
    Health and weight loss are directly proportional for the most part. Assuming you’re not dying of some type of immune disease. What are some of the greatest indicators of health? Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol levels, insulin sensitivity, the ratio of LDL to HDL. You know what affects all these health indicators the most? WEIGHT. Lose weight and these health indicators will improve. What does weight loss have to do with the type of food you eat? NOTHING. Weight loss is about calories.

Then people try to argue the “you need your vitamins and minerals.” Go read a label on “Lucky Charms” cereal then tell me about vitamins and minerals. 11% vitamin A, 12% calcium, 12% vitamin C, 31% iron, 122 calories, 1.1g fat, 25g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 2.1g protein. Eat 10 servings, that’s 1,220 calories. Add some lean protein, and you’re set. How many of you track your vitamins and minerals and make sure you get the right amounts? If you don’t and preach “you won’t get your vitamins and minerals eating junk” then my friend, you’re a hypocrite. You’re probably not getting them either. Many authorities agree, you probably will get all your vitamins and minerals if you eat a well-balanced diet. Truth is, they also agree that no one eats a well-balanced diet all the time. They recommend vitamin and mineral supplements.

People also say “You won’t get enough protein.” Protein is also highly over rated. People don’t “BUILD” muscle. The muscles hold fluid called sarcoplasm. Most of the fluid is water. I know some pretty well built vegans. The more carbs you eat, the more carbs you burn, the more protein you eat, the more protein you burn. You think you will lose muscle if you don’t eat enough protein? You will just burn more carbs, they spare muscle. I did a self-experiment for a month. I ate noting but junk food to make a point to my friends. It’s all about calories. I lost 12lbs of fat in a month.

It’s healthier to be at a healthy weight and eat crap than it is to eat “healthy” and be overweight. There is a few caveats to what I am saying. Calorie dense foods don’t fill you up as much. A candy bar is like 200-300 calories. Try eating that much salad or broccoli. You’re probably wondering what I am ultimately trying to say. If you’re thinking I am saying “go eat junk food 24/7.” You’re missing the point. My point is junk food isn’t as bad as people think, if you eat a little, or a lot. It won’t prevent weight loss. It won’t deteriorate your health. I do agree if you do eat junk food all day it’s not “optimal.” Nothing what most of us do is “optimal.” This topic is mostly for people who think they can’t eat certain foods, if eating "bad foods" help you stick to your weight loss goals, then do it. Remember it’s healthier to be at a healthy weight and eat junk food than it is to be overweight and eat healthy food.

I think you are missing my point. I am not talking about not eating "junk food", nor am I talking about weightloss. I am talking about eating food, I am talking about health. I'm not even talking about protein specifically. I picked these simply because I am aware that some vegetarians struggle to get them. And again, I am not saying anything negative about a vegan diet. I am talking about eating a well balanced healthy diet, be it vegan or not.
    The OP is saying already, while being an ominvore, she finds it hard to eat food that isn't high in sugar. She wants to cut out meat but tells us she has access to salad and baked potatoes. That isn't a complete diet. It is not healthy to survive on salad alone.
    I am not telling her not to eat "junk food" or to eat junk food, I am suggesting she not cut out whole food groups while she has nothing to replace it with. I am suggesting that she find some alternatives that might not be vegan but still vegetarian because I suspect they would be easier to access in her situation.
    Don't want to eat chicken, fine. I understand there are tons of other sources of protein. But if her school caferia doesn't offer them, where is she going to get it? (I am not suggesting she eat meat)

Yes, I do track my vitamins and minerals and try to get what I need. As a vegetarian, I was even more careful to get what I needed and ate a wide variety of the foods that other poster was suggesting. But if they aren't available, where does she get is. I would not suggest supplements over real food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    But I can agree that I'm not here to debate and make enemies in the process. I saved my mom from nearly dying in the hospital of high blood pressure complications and thanks to a vegan diet her systolic has gone down from 180 to 120 in approximately 2 weeks. I was a vegetarian for a long time but in order for me to break a plateau where I was stuck at 155 lbs I had to go transition to a vegan diet. God bless you all and I hope your methods work for you.

You aren't making an enemy of me. I am not offended by opposing opinions.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Thank you and yes my mom has lost weight. It's nicely reflected on her face. I don't track my vitamins anf minerals or my calories. That's another good thing about being vegan you don't have to worry about sugars or calories or saturated fats, trans fats etc..
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I think you are missing my point. I am not talking about not eating "junk food", I am talking about eating food, I am talking about health. I'm not even talking about protein specifically. I picked these simply because I am aware that some vegetarians struggle to get them. And again, I am not saying anything negative about a vegan diet. I am talking about eating a well balanced healthy diet, be it vegan or not.
    The OP is saying already, while being an ominvore, she finds it hard to eat food that isn't high in sugar. She wants to cut out meat but tells us she has access to salad and baked potatoes. That isn't a complete diet. It is not healthy to survive on salad alone.
    I am not telling her not to eat "junk food", I am suggesting she not cut out whole food groups while she has nothing to replace it with. I am suggesting that she find some alternatives that might not be vegan but still vegetarian because I suspect they would be easier to access in her situation.
    Don't want to eat chicken, fine. I understand there are tons of other sources of protein. But if her school caferia doesn't offer them, where is she going to get it? (I am not suggesting she eat meat)

Yes, I do track my vitamins and minerals and try to get what I need. As a vegetarian, I was even more careful to get what I needed and ate a wide variety of the foods that other poster was suggesting. But if they aren't available, where does she get is. I would not suggest supplements over real food.

My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Weight loss is about habits, that's what it boils down to. I am sure you and others have "thought" we need to do certain things to lose weight, such as cut out specific foods, do this "special diet" or what not. Most of the time people do things they don't really want to do to lose weight. If you're fighting yourself you will not win.

She's saying she will get healthier by turning vegan which I don't believe to be the case. She's throwing more complexity in to the equation. The more complex a system is the greater chance of failure. I am saying she should focus on her calories and not worry about petty stuff. It's irrelevant for the most part. I am not against what you're saying, or for what you're saying. I don't even know what side you been debating.

I assumed since you quoted me and asked if I tracked my nutrients you were directing that towards me. I get it now. If you hadn't been following what I was saying, I could see how the nutrients post was taken out of context.

I do actually agree with you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I suppose you weren't eating enough iron? I get most of my iron from beans and greens. If you're not a fan of eating greens plain or in salad make smoothies where you can't taste them.

I was also hypoglycemic but that seems to have gone away with a healthy vegan diet, as well as my acne. I can't really help you much further unless you give us some ideas of meals you used to eat as a vegan?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Her previous posts -

She should speak to her school about accommodating for her diet.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    She should speak to her school about accommodating for her diet.

She should, but unforunately this changes aren't always easy or quick. Plus, she is not currently a vegan.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Thank you and yes my mom has lost weight. It's nicely reflected on her face. I don't track my vitamins anf minerals or my calories. That's another good thing about being vegan you don't have to worry about sugars or calories or saturated fats, trans fats etc..
    Glad your mom is feeling better. What do you mean you don't have to worry about sugar, calories, saturated fat or trans fats, those are all found in a vegan diet?
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, absolute vegan includes not only all the dairy products/meats/cheeses etc...but also honey, and then there are all of the non-dietary aspects which is a whole different lifestyle component....but for those of you who have practiced for a long time, what are some of the other food items that one wouldn't normally consider...just curious...
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    no problem. What matters is she's doing better. Here is my question to you now, did the vegan diet help her, or did the weight loss help her?

Both. The vegan diet is what made her lose weight and lower her blood pressure. She doesn't have to take her doctor's recommend drugs anymore. Thank God.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    From what I understand, absolute vegan includes not only all the dairy products/meats/cheeses etc...but also honey, and then there are all of the non-dietary aspects which is a whole different lifestyle component....but for those of you who have practiced for a long time, what are some of the other food items that one wouldn't normally consider...just curious...

Yes honey is the only non-vegan food I like to consume. It's very healthy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

There are tons of foods not considered vegan because of things added to them or how they are processed. Some sugar is processed using bone char. There are dyes that contain traces of animal, like shellac and carmine. Gelatin is not vegan. Beer and wine can be (not all) processed with things that are not vegan, like isinglass (from dried bladders of fish). Soy cheeses, which would appear to be vegan, can have rennet in them.

This is in no way an exhaustive list.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Glad your mom is feeling better. What do you mean you don't have to worry about sugar, calories, saturated fat or trans fats, those are all found in a vegan diet?

Lol I didn't explain correctly. When you are a vegan you get all your sugars and fats etc.. from fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, roots, herbs etc.. Fruits and veggies contain lots of fiber which help the sugars break down very slow and since they don't metabolize as fast as a processed sugar would then it doesn't make your pancreas produce insulin ay a very rapid pace like it would if you ate some white bread or drink a soda. So that is why I don't have to worry about my sugar levels or the calories I consume or none of that stuff. It's very hard to over do it with the calories because when you eat raw whole foods your get full faster and feel full for a longer period of time. I would have to pull out about 20 different books i've read to find all the information and scientific evidence on this but I think you kinda get the point by now of why I don't count calories or carbs etc..
  • neanderthin
    Options

Lol I didn't explain correctly. When you are a vegan you get all your sugars and fats etc.. from fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, roots, herbs etc.. Fruits and veggies contain lots of fiber which help the sugars break down very slow and since they don't metabolize as fast as a processed sugar would then it doesn't make your pancreas produce insulin ay a very rapid pace like it would if you ate some white bread or drink a soda. So that is why I don't have to worry about my sugar levels or the calories I consume or none of that stuff. It's very hard to over do it with the calories because when you eat raw whole foods your get full faster and feel full for a longer period of time. I would have to pull out about 20 different books i've read to find all the information and scientific evidence on this but I think you kinda get the point by now of why I don't count calories or carbs etc..
    Fair enough. Not all vegans exclude bread and soda from their diet or the exhaustive list of processed foods . Any diet that is high in natural foods will have protective effects on the body, some will have a better profile of micronutrients, vitamins and mineerals and eggs and fish would be on my list, where you would leave them off believing they don't.