Party today...please help me stay on track!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm asking you guys to help me with a little accountablility. They say if you tell people what you are trying to do and to ask them to help you it gives you some strength so that is what I'm doing. I've never tried things this way so here we go...

I have a party to go to at 12 with my boyfriend. It will be a serious FOOD FEST! These folks can cook and my boyfriend is the head of the pushers! I will be there all damn day and I know there will be a mental battle going on.

I've already exercised this morning in preparation...yay me! Best exercise I've done so far too!

I've already decided NO ALCOHOL as it weakens my defenses and makes me want to eat more. Besides I feel pretty good this week (first time in a long time) so alcohol will only make me sluggish and I dont' want that.

I've already decided I may taste certain dishes in the size of a tablespoon full and only taste one sugar item in the same amount as I have a certain calorie amount in mind. This is the part I know will challenge me.

So you've all been there and I'm counting on you to check back to this post tomorrow when I report on how I did. I promise to be honest and tell you exactly what went into my mouth and how I handled it emotionally. I figure if I know people will be expecting the truth it will help me stick to my guns.

Wish me luck and send me positive energy!

Thanks,

Lori
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• SoulfulLori
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm asking you guys to help me with a little accountablility. They say if you tell people what you are trying to do and to ask them to help you it gives you some strength so that is what I'm doing. I've never tried things this way so here we go...

I have a party to go to at 12 with my boyfriend. It will be a serious FOOD FEST! These folks can cook and my boyfriend is the head of the pushers! I will be there all damn day and I know there will be a mental battle going on.

I've already exercised this morning in preparation...yay me! Best exercise I've done so far too!

I've already decided NO ALCOHOL as it weakens my defenses and makes me want to eat more. Besides I feel pretty good this week (first time in a long time) so alcohol will only make me sluggish and I dont' want that.

I've already decided I may taste certain dishes in the size of a tablespoon full and only taste one sugar item in the same amount as I have a certain calorie amount in mind. This is the part I know will challenge me.

So you've all been there and I'm counting on you to check back to this post tomorrow when I report on how I did. I promise to be honest and tell you exactly what went into my mouth and how I handled it emotionally. I figure if I know people will be expecting the truth it will help me stick to my guns.

Wish me luck and send me positive energy!

Thanks,

Lori
    :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Just keep your focus on the goal you want to achieve. Food is not worth it, neither is it the enemy. If you go about it a smart way, portion things out...pay attention to what everything is cooked in, etc....then you will be fine! Drink lots of water too! Look for anything that isn't cooked in sauces....meat, etc. Veggies, salad, that sort of thing. It isn't a tragedy to eat "non-weight-loss foods", because you have to know how to deal with real life once you do hit your goal weight anyway. These are good tests for us I think!

Good luck!!!
    Tami
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Sounds like you have the right idea with only tasting a tbsp of certain dishes...another thing that helps me is to use one small plate and then "lose" the plate when you've had your one "tasting"...good luck :flowerforyou: vee
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    wear a watch and keep track of the time and eat a little every 3 hours or so. don't deprive yourself of something you may really want, that will just make it harder, just have a "bite" of the really tempting items. Drink a lot of water, lots and lots of water. Also, I find when I go to these kind of parties if I keep a plate with foods on it that I don't really like no one seems to push me to eat more because they are all so busy they must think I am eating like a horse!

Tomorrow, a little extra exercise to make up for any slips today, no biggie, go and have fun and remember what your goals are so you don't go crazy!
  • davisgirl72
    Options
    I believe you can do it! You have thought this through and you have a plan, that is awesome! I think the best decision you made is not to drink alcohol. It still amazes me how quickly calories add up. It is not worth it to waste those calories on alcohol.

I have a couple of parties to go to today also. There will be pizza at the party that I'm going to this afternoon...my favorite food ever! I've already decided that if the pieces are small I will have 2 pieces but if the pieces are large triangles I will only have one. Hopefully, I'll be able to stick to that plan.

Good luck!!!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive thoughts for you!:smile:
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...all great ideas and I feel stoked!

I plan to drink TONS OF WATER also if a water glass is in my hands at all times it will take up a hand that could grab food...the other I talk with...can't talk without my hands! LOL!

I am also bringing gum. I don't chew gum but when I have that minty flavor in my mouth I don't want food as much. will start chewing after I've had my "chosen foods". will also make sure every 3 hours I eat properly.

Ok...I'll report tomorrow as I'm off and looking FABULOUS! (lol...OK, my fat clothes are still tight but my brain is fabulous!)

See u tomorrow!

Thanks again!
  • Birdy
    Birdy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think your idea about avoiding alcohol is a good one. This is my major downfall, especially in social situations. Drinking helps me have more fun, but oh boy do I pay for it in calories and feeling terrible later. I'm trying to avoid or drink very little and it is hard for me, but when I am successful I realize it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'll be checking back tomorrow. Good Luck!!!!
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE...IT WORKED...THANK YOU!
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Whoops...I hit enter before I finished typing.

Anyway the party was in a gorgeous log home with huge windows where I spent a lot of time looking out into the woods wishing that house was mine...

Nobody was drinking so alcohol was not an issue. Yay!

I drank 1/2 gallon of water there(there was a plastic gallon of water there that nobody touched but me and half was gone when I left and I sloshed as I walked...LOL) I also had 2 liters of water before I got there.

I enjoyed the main entrees (there were no pickies like cheese and crackers to make me nuts). I hade venison meatloaf, chilli, drum fish parmagiana and a huge bowl of salad! As soon as I ate those things I threw away my plate and put the water in my hand again.

Then came out the sweets. I said I would only taste one but I did taste 3 of the 9 different goodies there. Considering what I used to do that is a MAJOR improvement and if I could do that every single time I would never gain weight. I wanted more sweets but quickly put gum in my mouth and went outside to watch some folks mess around with their bows. (Hunting party...I'm not a hunter though.)

The funny part (for everyone else but me) was that I guess when brushed past something it caught my pocket and ripped my pants so my butt cheek was hanging out a bit and I was wearing a thong! Someone had to tell me! How do you try to act cool when that happens? Let's just say I was the "butt of the joke" the rest of the day. One's pants ripping surely makes one not want to eat anymore! Why do these things always happen to me????????? LOL...sigh.:blushing:

My honey and I had a great time. He was supportive too. I was not stuffed like I normaly am from such a party and enjoyed myself without guilt. A very unique feeling for me. I was not perfect but then again...what is perfect? It took some planning and some self control but it wasn't really that tough especially since I had told so many what I was going to do. That really helped.

I came home and logged what I think were equivalents to what I ate and still came in within my alloted calories for the day! I was actually 150 calories less so I allowed a little healthy snack of some protien before bed as I was super hungry and my belly was growling. I got up this morning and my belly doesn't feel bloated like it usually does after a party. So all in all it was a succes!

Thanks again! I get weighed on Tues so I hope I lose a little! If not I still feel as if it is a victory.

Best to all!

Lori
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Oh and I stayed away from all the bread and pasta items.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I hate trying to be good at those sorta things, I think you did much better then I would have!!! Sorry about your pants! At least you were able to laugh about it with them and not let it ruin you time. Good luck at the WI Tuesday.
  • davisgirl72
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Having a good plan was the payoff, you did awesome!
  • Birdy
    Birdy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have a baby shower today. I will use your experience as support. Thanks.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
    I have 2 corned beefs in a pot right now and just finished making 2 batches of Irish soda bread. And if you have never had or made it... it is all flour, sugar, baking powder/soda, salt and butter! And when it's done it's so good! I will have one slice and be done with it! My husband wanted me to make 2 batches of it b/c he loves it so much, so I'll make him take it to work so it's not around me all day!
    and btw, you can't have soda bread without a lot of butter on it (hot), good lord, I'm torchering myself!
    gotta get rid of it, gotta get rid of it!
    when we have our st. patty's day feast, I'll have mostly cabbage with a little piece of corned beef and 1 little potato.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    i heard one bite of anything it usually 35 calories