Appetite suppressant anyone??

Options
Does anyone take any appetite suppressants in addition to watching their calorie intake to assist in weight loss? If so any good results and what do you take.

Replies

• what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I will go for a small portion of yogurt with fruits.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to either take them for the rest of your life or put the weight back on when you stop taking them. If hunger is that much of a problem then you're probably not eating enough. Losing weight too quickly makes it harder to keep it off in the long term, plus the fact that the stricter you are when losing weight the harder it is to stick to in the long term. IMO long term sustainable changes and aiming for slow and steady fat loss is better, firstly because you don't have to deal with feeling hungry and deprived, and secondly because it greatly increases your chances of keeping the fat off long term. And also, why take the route of hunger and deprivation when so many have succeeded without having to deprive themselves? It may take longer, but it's much easier to maintain when you get there.

If your calorie goal is set to the right level for you to lose weight slowly and steadily, and you're feeding your body properly (i.e. enough protein, healthy fat, vitamins, minerals etc) and you've eaten all your calories for the day but are still hungry, then snacking on something that's very low in calories like salad vegetables or have a cup of herbal tea or something, really helps, i.e. you feel full but are taking in very few extra calories.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Nah! eat enough good food and exercise!That stuff is dangerous!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i tried the prescription pills i lost 30 pounds in a month put the weight back on in two months and gained even more in the months to come ,
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I sent you a PM. :smile:
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean -- if it's pills, I second the opinions above. But if it's low-cal foods/drink that help curb your appetite, I have good luck with herbal tea. The flavor encourages me to drink more water than I otherwise would, which makes me feel full. I also do little side salads a lot. The veggies are bulky and low-cal, so 50-100 cals fills me up a lot more than it would if it were, say, 50-100 cals of chocolate. I'll also be careful to have an apple rather than 80 cals of processed food.

I'm not advocating ignoring your hunger and eating less than you need to. However, I used to overeat compulsively, even when I'd eaten way too much already, so suppressing is important for me as long as I know that I'm getting enough plenty of calories and nutrition. It's a self-control thing, and tea/veggies/fruit can help tremendously with that.

Good luck!
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    About three years ago I used an appetite suppressant, along with healthier eating of lower calories, and exercising for two months and lost 20 lbs and kept it off after stopping. I did not gain any weight back (for approximately a year) until I became pregnant again.

I am using it again now, but I honestly think it's a mental thing for me. I could probably get just as successful of results without it, but I'm not ready to "do it on my own" yet. To each their own.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself. I have a hard time getting myself down to eating my 1200 calories and not starving all day. If I could find something to curb my appetite until I get used to the smaller amount of food, I think it would be a lot easier for me. Anyone know of any good ones?
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself. I have a hard time getting myself down to eating my 1200 calories and not starving all day. If I could find something to curb my appetite until I get used to the smaller amount of food, I think it would be a lot easier for me. Anyone know of any good ones?

If you choose high quality foods you should not feel hungry. I eat 1200 or less sometimes. My average intake is 1200 but there are days I eat less and days I eat more. I find that eating high in protein and minimizing processed carbs curbs your appetitie a lot. I'm not saying to eat a low carb diet. It is more like eating things like quinoa, couscous, which are carbs but higher in protein than your regular white foods.... always have protein on your plate and veggies. No bread except perhaps ezekiel bread and no white rice. You can eat brown rice a few days a week. Just overall limiting your "white" food stuff will help your satisfaction level. The theory behind it is that maintaining your blood sugar levels at a consistent level throughout the day keeps the "gremlins' away.
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Does anyone take any appetite suppressants in addition to watching their calorie intake to assist in weight loss? If so any good results and what do you take.

Look up Voyager V3 weight management pills. Some people frown on "diet pills" but they have worked great for me, and if you stick to your new habits after your off of them you shouldn't gain it back.
  • skyttles
    skyttles Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you choose high quality foods you should not feel hungry. ...

I completely disagree with this. Not to say in most cases it isn't correct, the idea is solid, but people differ. I have days where i eat healthy well rounded meals spaced and am not hungry at all (few and far between) and days when i do the exact same thing and am hungry all day long no matter how many healthy calories i consume. Drinking water and adding in healthy fats don't help either. Is it mental? Maybe (Probably). I don't know. My entire life I've been hungry. Doesn't really matter what or how much i consume..... dang it now i'm hungry ....
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I went snooping in your food log. I realize the last 2 weeks probably aren't representative to what you typically eat (holidays, etc), but your eating is ALL over the board. Some days you are eating too much, some not enough. Some days seem very "fast food" heavy" others "sugar" heavy. I think it would help to adopt some consistent food/eating habits before considering pills.

When I was losing (and trust me there was a reason I needed to lose 40 some odd pounds, I overate, and I hardly moved), I ate 6 times a day and stuck around 1500-1600 calories EVERYDAY. If I worked out, I ate half of those back. If you eat healthy, filling stuff every 2-3 hours you won't get hungry and you won't need pills. I ate fast food, drank beer, etc, but I only did that when my other food was good for me. Plan out snacks and meals. Try not to rely on fast food so much (I've found that it makes me hungrier than what I was before). Try and cook at home. Trust me, it makes a huge difference in your hunger level...

Good luck, hon. It's hard to change habits, but it's soooo worth it!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about the Slim & Sassy Doterra essential oil, but I haven't tried it personally. Going to play it MFP's way, and only turn to that if calorie counting and exercise alone don't seem to work. Plus, it's not really a diet pill, and it's all natural.
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I will send you a message! :wink:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Consistent water intake. Diet pills run the risk of some serious health impacts that people don't take into account because they are so desperate.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fiber tends to keep me full longer and fights off cravings.
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant is hard core exercise. By far. Stay away from anything that involves popping pills. Like everyone else said, weight loss is a lifestyle change.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex for a few months October 2011-lost 37 pounds. As of yesterday...I had gained 40 back. Obviously it worked, but not long term, which completely defeats the purpose. So...no, it didn't work for me. Now I'm 3 pounds heavier and MAD that I let myself gain it all back. Trying it the right way this time, which will take more effort on my part and longer to acheive these goals, but it's worth it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    While I wouldn't recommend using a pill as an appetite suppressant, I just googled and found a list of foods to incorporate into your diet that help suppress your appetite (supposedly).

ETA: Here's the list: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/top-25-natural-appetite-suppressants?page=9
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in knowing what you sent to her about appetite suppression.