Balencing a running regimen with a beachbody plan

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, here's where I'm at: I'm currently doing Slim in 6, but we've been having a bit of warmer weather and I'd really enjoy a run. My big worry is that its going to wreck my progress if I start taxing my body by doing both in the same day.

Has anyone balanced SI6, P90, or P90x with a running plan? How did you do it? Did you modify anything?

Replies

• gym_rat
    Options
    I'm curious about the responses as well. I'm training for a marathon and just got Insanity in the mail and want to incorporate it into my workouts without killing myself.
  • SteveJones16
    Options
    i do p90x. just the lifting videos and the other days do plyo twice a week along with a run
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to see responses as well - I am doing P90 and will start running this spring once the weather gets warm.
    I'd assume that you replace cardio with running?
  • beckamarie
    Options
    I have never had success with any strict diet programs while in the last 12 weeks of training for a marathon. Maybe the first 3 or 4 weeks but no way after that. You could do it but I think you would notice a huge loss in strength building and endurance and worst of all overall health. Stay healthy!!! ---Just my 2 cents!! :) Way to go on the marathon!!
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's hard to balance. I'm currently doing Insanity and trying to still run. I also teach 2 spin classes a week. I haven't felt that I can put 100% into each of them. I use Insanity for stregnth more than anything and spin and running for endurance. YOu have to find a balance that works for you.
    I'm ready for warmer weather so I can get back to running and cycling more.
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    I have 2 half marathons in the next 5 weeks and I've been doing the P90X weight workouts (not cardio)plus 2 days a week of Insanity as well as running approx 20-25 miles per week. I've also added in Brazilian Butt Lift 3x a week. On my training run this past weekend my average per mile pace was nearly 1minute per mile faster than my December half marathon time. I also cycle 3x a week and do some elliptical. All that to say, personally, I'm finding the cross training is helping my running. I have upped my protein intake quite a bit to avoid any muscle cannibalization!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've been using Beachbody programs and running for the last 4 years!! (I'm also a Team Beachbody Coach!)

I have used P90X, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme, P90X+, and the One on Ones.

I have found what works best for me is to make sure I'm getting in my 3 (or 4, right now I'm marathon training!) runs a week and then using the weight training from P90X, X+, or ChaLean Extreme. I've found that the weight training has REALLY helped me and I'm a much better runner now!

So basically my routine would be...

Monday ~ Run (whatever my running schedule had me at, usually speedwork on Mondays!) + Ab Ripper or other core work
    Tuesday ~ Weights
    Wednesday ~ Run (tempo run) + Ab Ripper or other core work
    Thursday ~ Weights
    Friday ~ Run (or Insanity, One on One, or other BB workout) + Ab Ripper or other core work
    Saturday ~ Long run
    Sunday ~ Off or Xstretch/ Yoga

(I also do a spin class on Tues/ Thurs and swim... but I'm also a triathlete... :drinker: )

For weights, I have done just the upper body from P90X (alternating Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms w/ Chest, Shoulders, & Tri's w/ Back & Biceps). Also used ChaLean and when I did that I was using a different schedule of M, W, F lifting and Tu, Th, S running.

So... the programs are versatile. Don't feel like you have to follow them as scripted! Just make sure if you're lifting to give yourself 48 hours between your next lifting workout. Do Ab Ripper at other times or days, I have it memorized so I just do it at night while watching tv w/ my dh and kids. :laugh:

Ask away if you have any questions!!

Jess
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that I can't do a running program and INSANITY at the same time. It was WAAAAY too much for me. My foot gave out and it forced me to take a 2 week break from working out. BLAH!!!!!

We're gonna try insanity and see how that goes. Since it's more weight training I think it will be easier. Insanity was too much plyo-like jumping.