Energy Drinks

shanerylee
shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone take any energy drinks? I have been so tired with working out, I dont take a multi vitiman, maybe I should? I need some help here. Two workouts I feel great, but after them, Im physcially exhausted.

Replies

• I don't do the energy drinks because I usually get the jittery feeling. But I do have some herbal green tea a few hours before a work out. The caffeine doesn't make me as jittery as the energy drink would. And I get to control the sugar that's in it (usually 1 pack of Equal w/ 0 calories)
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    None for me...oh wait unless you count diet coke
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    I would definitely recommend starting a multivitamin immediately. It will help your energy level immensely. You would be surprised how much Vitamin B can boost your energy. Someone also recommended that I used Emergen-C if I can't stay away. It actually worked for me better than caffeine. Some of those energy drinks are horrible for your body and teeth. I would be careful with them.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Do you take in recovery nutrition after your workouts? It's recommended we have a light snack with a little bit of protein, carbs, and even some fat, if you can swing it. Something like Chocolate milk or a PB & J sandwich or a recovery drink like Fluid Recovery, which has the 3:1 carb to protein ratio a lot recommend. (Though others say 4:1 and I haven't found it makes that much difference.)

You should see a big difference in how often you can workout and for how long, if you fuel your body properly before, after, and during exercise. (During is only necessary for long workouts of over an hour, though.)

"Energy" drinks are caffeine and sugar for the most part. Marginally more healthy drinking a Coke because they throw in some vitamins, but not really healthy and don't give you lasting energy.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I forgot to add that, in addition to low B12, low iron and low Vitamin D can both cause fatigue and most people in North America have low Vitamin D.
  • i don't take do energy drinks... too jittery. I will take a chewable B12 tablet before working out. It helps me get through the workout and doesn't make me crash. Also, eat or drink a protein shake after working out; within 30 minutes if you can. Both seem to help me. I'm 42 and don't recover quite as quickly as I once did!
  • I recommend an energy drink called XS energy 8 calories 0 carbs 0 sugars, where the energy comes from is B12 4900% of your daily dose-which is ok because B12 is a vitamin that your body will take what is needed and then your body disposes of what you dont need. the drink comes in 13 different flavors! I also recommend that if you are exercising and dieting you should take a multivitim especially being a women we dont get the daily dose we are supposed too. If you want more information i have a website you can visit and take a look at vitamins and supplements as well as the energy drinks. My email is jenniferparadis84@yahoo.com Talk to you soon, or anyone who is interested!!
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    A search of the web for info on the ingredients in XS shows that it contains caffeine, just like other energy drinks. Many other energy drinks to have more sugar than XS, but caffeine certainly appears to be a significant source of "energy." I am not trying to debate the relative merits of using energy drinks. I just think it is important to have complete information before one evaluates whether they are the right thing to add to their diet.
  • of course it has caffeine, but a dose of caffeine is actually good for you, if caffeine is abused then yes it is a problem. There are 2 flavors that do come in caffeine free, if a pregnant woman was to want to drink them. But the main attraction with XS is the 8calories 0 carbs 0 sugars and the 13 different flavors, plus the amount of B12 in each can. Here is a link where you can do some more research if you would like :)

http://jparadis2.qhealthbeauty.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=604991 you can just copy and paste, and this is the website where it is sold, so it will have all the nutritional information and downloads.

also here is a link about caffeine, i work with cancer patients so i randomly read articles that has interesting information
    http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

and if you or anyone is interested in organic vitamins etc here is a cool link with products/information
    http://www.nutrilite.com/
This discussion has been closed.