Traveling + Food

Options
I will be flying cross country next month and do not want to eat the food from the airport during my layover but will need food because I will be traveling for 7 hours....I don't know what they will allow on board as far as foods from home go, so what are some healthy prepackaged foods I can get to take with me on the plane.

thanks!

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I like snacky things on plane trips, even long ones - clif bars, almonds, dried fruit or granola, beef or turkey jerky, hardboiled eggs although you might get some nasty looks for eggs haha. My longest flight was 11 hours, I ate a big meal before the airport and then snacked on nuts and chocolate during the flight inbetween meals, and it was enough. If you need a meal, usually there is a healthy option at the airport where you can grab a big salad or a wrap, just make smart choices.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are traveling staples for me. I eat one every 2-3 hours so I stay satiated and won't be tempted to eat junk. I also like Kashi Go Lean cereal--it's high protein and high fiber so it fills you up. I measure up a cup's worth and throw it in a sandwich baggie and just pack several baggies.

Have fun on your trip. :-)
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    thanks! I'm trying to avoid the airport food because its so expensive. But I love larabars so maybe I'll just bring a ton of those...
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    Protein bars are traveling staples for me. I eat one every 2-3 hours so I stay satiated and won't be tempted to eat junk. I also like Kashi Go Lean cereal--it's high protein and high fiber so it fills you up. I measure up a cup's worth and throw it in a sandwich baggie and just pack several baggies.

Have fun on your trip. :-)

what protein bars do you recommend? There are so many kinds lol I haven't really had any before so I don't know what's good or nasty
  • kartikluthra
    Options
    Time to go you should eat some light-hearted ... so you are less likely to come down ... So PLEASE Yet some nominal consolidated food .
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My favorite airplane food is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have even had a seat mate try to buy it from me. Also remeber to drink plenty of water :drinker:
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    My favorite airplane food is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have even had a seat mate try to buy it from me. Also remeber to drink plenty of water :drinker:

I normally try to stay away from too much bread, but that does sound like a great idea...thank you.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    what protein bars do you recommend? There are so many kinds lol I haven't really had any before so I don't know what's good or nasty

Right now I'm eating Power Crunch protein energy bars and various Balance bars. To be totally honest, they taste almost NOTHING like what they're supposed to taste like, whether it's "triple chocolate" or "s'mores" or "cookie dough." :-/ But they're convenient, and they do deliver decent nutrition to you when you need it on the go. You just gotta try them out and find one you like. Try to find one with at least 12g of protein tho. Otherwise you're just eating a candy bar.
  • mommycordillia
    Options

Right now I'm eating Power Crunch protein energy bars and various Balance bars. To be totally honest, they taste almost NOTHING like what they're supposed to taste like, whether it's "triple chocolate" or "s'mores" or "cookie dough." :-/ But they're convenient, and they do deliver decent nutrition to you when you need it on the go. You just gotta try them out and find one you like. Try to find one with at least 12g of protein tho. Otherwise you're just eating a candy bar.

Thanks!
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    You can bring on anything that isn`t liquid and they won`t take it from you, though avoid smelly foods to be kind to your fellow seatmates. I tend to pack a salad and a sandwich. Some other ideas that are better options than cliff bars and the like (which are pretty much candy anyhow, IMO) are yogurt, cottage cheese, cut vegetables and cheese, hard boiled eggs, surprisingly they don`t smell, and fruit. Since you said you steer away from bread, I didn`t mention bread/crackers here.
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I really like cheese and rice crackers but Idk how well the cheese would do just sittin in my bag for hours, I eat the Babybel Mini's ....
    I plan on taking a serving or two of rice crackers and some LaraBars (They are diff from all the other 'good for you' granola bars) and maybe a sandwich ( all natural almond butter and sugar free jelly)....hopefully that'll hold me over til I get picked up and taken to CHICKFILA!!! (I live in Washington state....no chickfila....I grew up in NC....tons of chickfila....I miss it)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You can thank me later....

Cinnamon Sugar Protein Muffins (12 each) Delicious low-fat cinnamon sugar protein muffins! So good!
    1 muffin = 110 calories, 20g carbs, 1.8g sugar, 1.6g fat, 6.5g protein

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup (38 tsp) Baking Truvia
    • 2 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 1/2 cups oat flour
    • 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    • 1 tbsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350.
    • Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
    • Stir with spoon until batter is smooth(ish).
    • Line muffin tin with non-stick paper/tin muffin cups or grease the pan with non-stick spray.
    • Fill muffin cups to top. Leave 1/8" of edge.
    • Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes.
    • Muffins will be dense.... and delicious!
  • mom4life97
    Options
    bump, yummy
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    @ws thank you! I will definitely give those a try!! they sound super yummy!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd check with the airline, they may have a policy about nuts on board due to allergic reactions from other passengers. How long will you be travelling for?
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I'd check with the airline, they may have a policy about nuts on board due to allergic reactions from other passengers. How long will you be travelling for?

true, I guess thats a good reason to use Nutella instead of my all natural almond butter....

and its just over night, my flight leaves at 10:30pm and I land at my final destination at 8:30am....but there is a 2 hour time difference so its 7 hours assuming there is no delays...but I stay up til 1 am or so and am normally snacky until right before bed and once I wake up I'll be starving so I'll need something for my hour long layover.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options

Lol, considering they still give out nuts on flights with food and in the BF cabin.

You can bring nuts on a flight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't, in my experience.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bumpin for muffins! :)