minute I start dieting I am hungrier than before :-(

So, I rejoined this website after being off for a very long while. My plan was to start keeping a record of what I eat, however much it is and then in the New Year, start restricting etc. That way I would already be slightly in the habit of keeping track of what I eat.
This morning I ate a normal breakfast, nothing big or small, but the same I would have on a normal day. Brown pitta, tuna and tomato. Total of 220 calories. I am sure if I would have eaten this last week, I would have been perfectly happy and satisfied.
However, now, I am still hungry :-(
Is this psychological, in which case I should ignore? or am I hungry because I ate less yesterday than normal?

WHAT SHOULD I DO??? and I wanted to go to gym, and thought that seeing as it is quite substantial I would be ok ....

anyone else out there teh same?

Replies

• Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    I get this ALOT, feeling hungry despite just eating a giant meal I could almost not finish, what I tend to do is wait 30 minutes, drink lots of water during this period, if Im still hungry Ill eat a banana or an orange :)
  • gingertreat
    gingertreat Posts: 84 Member
    I wouldn't worry. Sometimes I feel hungry even after a normal meal. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger fyi. If water doesn't work then get something to eat! Usually a portion smaller than what I usually eat for that food will be enough e.g. 0.5 ham sandwich rather than the whole thing.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    this used to happen to me...but usually after I ate something high in carbs...lower your carbs, and increase your protein..helped me...and I also found that the heavier I WAS, the hungrier I was, and the more food I needed before I was satisfied...
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Proteins and healthy fats are your friend. I have my macros set to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and it really helps to keep me fuller for longer.

You could also try eating small meals more often through the day. Perhaps prepare a meal and eat half and then the other half a couple of hours later may help. I have seen many people do this on their diaries.

Since eating more protein in particular, I have found that I feel the opposite and often are eating when I am not that hungry to get my calories in.
  • I'm not sure it's about the food....the water, dehydration maybe,....but, I think, with me, anyway, it's mental. You used the word "restrictive"....really is banned from my vocab...."eating healthy", "reasonable portions", "good for me foods".....For me, "restrictive" means a "binge" down the road.....just some thoughts...
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    I'm not sure it's about the food....the water, dehydration maybe,....but, I think, with me, anyway, it's mental. You used the word "restrictive"....really is banned from my vocab...."eating healthy", "reasonable portions", "good for me foods".....For me, "restrictive" means a "binge" down the road.....just some thoughts...

I cannot agree more! I've been on diet sooo many times and it never worked. I was feeling hungry even when eating the same portions as before "going on a diet". Now I consider it a habit change (new healthy life style if you prefer) and not a diet. That's why I correct people when they say "Oh, you're on a diet." Just try not to focus on the fact you are dieting, but the fact that you are eating healthy :) It worked for me and this time it's easy and I even enjoy it!

I hope this will help you! :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    When you eat, tell yourself you are eating enough to be the weight you want to be...it works for me.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member

I've been on diet sooo many times and it never worked. I was feeling hungry even when eating the same portions as before "going on a diet". Now I consider it a habit change (new healthy life style if you prefer) and not a diet. That's why I correct people when they say "Oh, you're on a diet." Just try not tofocus on the fact you are dieting, but the fact that you are eating healthy :) It worked for me and this time it's easy and I even enjoy it!

I hope this will help you! :)

^^^^ THIS. It is a lifestyle change and you need to eat in a way that is sustainable for the future. Therefore eat now the foods you know you will be able to eat forever. Just watch your portions. This may mean taking longer to lose the weight by having a reduced deficit but you are more likely to reach your goal. Nothing need be restricted, it just needs to fit into your diary numbers.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Thanks guys, it makes a lot of sense!
    I didnt eat anything more, I made myself a coffee(I only have one a day so I think that's alright...) and did some work, and tbh, the hunger went away.
    I then went to gym, had an awesome working (hadnt been in a month and considering it was first time back....!)
    In fact, every Friday my fam have a get together where there is loads of different types of cake etc, and I decided not to be silly and holdback completely, becasue that is totally unsustainable, so I had a small taste of two cakes and then stopped.... and it worked! I didnt need any more
    I quite chuffed with myself.... Now I just need to get through the weekend safely!!!

xxx
  • I know how you feel, I started drinking water when I felt hungry between meals really helped.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Is this psychological, in which case I should ignore? or am I hungry because I ate less yesterday than normal?

I don't see this as either/or. It's probably yes to both.

I know you've resolved the issue already but for other folks looking into the matter---
    I do spend a few days hungry when I restart a healthier eating plan after lapsing for a while. I figure it's my body readjusting. But I also know that hunger isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm hungry right now after a reasonable breakfast/snack earlier. I'll have some coffee or tea and some water, and I'll have lunch in about 90 minutes. I'll live.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    The first week of downsizing your calorie intake is always brutal. There are things you can do to help (healthy snacks, plan snacks around times when you're hungriest, that sort of thing), but the truth of the matter is that we are forcing our bodies to settle with far less food than we usually do. And the types of foods we use to sate ourselves often don't leave us as MENTALLY full (a chicken breast and a greasy, buffalo sauce laden chicken wing do not taste the same).

It just takes time to adjust. Your stomach will eventually stop growling as it adjusts and your taste buds will eventually grow to like the foods you do choose to eat. Being hungry initially doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong - it just means you're doing something different.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Remove the mental that you are on a "Diet". Your definition is misleading you mind.

A Diet is not some short-term "program" in which you hope to lose weight...it is your regular intake of nutrition. 90% of your change will be mental. Once you remove the excuses like this one, you are ready to change, set goals and take action to achieve your goals.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I'm not sure it's about the food....the water, dehydration maybe,....but, I think, with me, anyway, it's mental. You used the word "restrictive"....really is banned from my vocab...."eating healthy", "reasonable portions", "good for me foods".....For me, "restrictive" means a "binge" down the road.....just some thoughts...

I'd go with mental - restrictive, diet - etc. you're mentally telling yourself you're depriving yourself and will be for some time. Get out of the DIET mindset.
  • dnscal123
    dnscal123 Posts: 46 Member
    It took me about a week to adjust to not have that hungry feeling all the time but I still think about food a lot. I think it's pretty normal to be feeling the way you are.

If we keep our minds occupied with other things it will make it easier!