Frustrated and annoyed that I'm letting myself down.

Options
Not wishing to wallow in self pity - However, can someone please explain to me why I know that eating less calories than I burn makes me lose weight, and that I feel so much better when I’m not as fat as I am now, yet I continue to eat. I lay in bed last night and felt so bloated. Today I’m eating properly, but why the hell do I keep doing this to myself. It must be a left brain/right brain thing and the same thing that makes someone keep smoking. Maybe I should start to view this as a addiction and I clearly need to step my game up.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I understand. I've been the same for this last week while on vacation, hope I haven't done much damage but anyway what I wanted to say is that I find if I pre-log my food I mostly stick to it so are you doing that?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think most people with a problem with excess weight are like this. I find it most helpful to have a small calorie deficit, not try to have a large one. If you try to cut your calories down too hard you're just inviting yourself to binge - today, tomorrow or in a couple of days. You need to take baby steps towards a healthier diet and a healthier relationship with food.

Having a mid-winter feast is a tradition that's been with mankind for thousands of years - now it's over and time to get back to a new "normal" that includes healthy choices but not too much deprivation. Happy NEW Year
  • cardenalera
    cardenalera Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably the worst time of the year regarding binging and the feeling bad for it by then you do it again the next day. It's just inevitable with the amount of food around us these days.

I am trying really hard yet I did it yesterday again. The good thing is I felt awful right after so I KNOW I'm aware of it. Same as you. As long as you are aware you can are okay, because everyday is a new chance to make it right. And I know you will.

I'm pretty sure a lot of your friends and mine feel like this too. We're here for you Stu! One hand help the other right?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Not wishing to wallow in self pity - However, can someone please explain to me why I know that eating less calories than I burn makes me lose weight, and that I feel so much better when I’m not as fat as I am now, yet I continue to eat. I lay in bed last night and felt so bloated. Today I’m eating properly, but why the hell do I keep doing this to myself. It must be a left brain/right brain thing and the same thing that makes someone keep smoking. Maybe I should start to view this as a addiction and I clearly need to step my game up.

smoking is a physical addiction...one of the strongest addictions there are. careless eating is not the same. don't look for that excuse with your food choices.

your calorie logging is sporadic at best.

you need to start logging every single thing you put in your mouth. no exceptions. It helps to log it BEFORE you eat it, because that makes you more aware of what you are doing.

get the crap food out of your house. If it's not there, it is harder to eat it. You are less likely to go out to get it and that helps.

set small realistic goals so that the hill doesnt seem too large.

become aware of what you are eating.

drink some water and relax.
  • stuartadair1
    stuartadair1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the good advice - And Dave for your wise words :-)