Strength Training

Options
Hey all,

I have started working out with a trainer (I know, I know- more $$, but I have to be honest with myself... the gym and the people in it tend to intimidate me). Anyway, I have begun adding all my strengthening sessions to my daily exercise log but it doesn't look like anything but the cardio work gets taken into account in terms of calorie burn. Does anyone know how much a typical 30-60m session adds to your calories burned?? I rarely exceed my limit, but I also kow that I need to be sure I am eating enough to support my workout routines and I am drastically under my goals let alone with the burned on top of it.

Anyway- just thought I would ask the question to some of the more experienced with this site. I am going to try and add some organic type protein shake things into my diet to supply better vitamins and add some protein and calories to the day when I am just not hungry. Thanks y'all! :)

Replies

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Under cardio there is a circuit training that allows you to put in the mins you worked out. But ultimatly a HRM would be the best way to track your actual burn, not what MFP estimates. Hope that helps!!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There's a weightlifting option under cardio, or you can use calisthenthics which allows you to pick your percieved effort. Make sure it's the time you spend actually doing strength training though - I spent most of my time in the free weights area recovering between sets and loading/unloading bars so I tend to use the weightlifting option as that feels like the best estimate of calorie burn compared to my cardio burns+effort. However, if I'm doing body weight training circuits, I'll use calisthenics, picking the effort based on how out of breath I've felt, since I don't stop moving when I'm doing these.

To be honest though, strength training purely to burn calories is a bit of a waste of time. Strength training to maintain/gain strength and/or mass while eating at a deficit is much more useful, so as long as you're getting enough protein without pigging out on burgers & cheese, the exact calories burned aren't that important. :)
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    HRM don't give you an accurate burn when strength training. Neither will a fitbit. If you want to go the device route, use a Bodymedia armband.

I log it under cardio as "strength training", but keep in mind that your calorie burn is wholly dependent on how vigorously you are lifting, how heavy you are lifting and how long your rests are between sets.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Also, what muscles you are using that day. Compound lifts like squats and deadlifts burn more than bicep curls and crunches.
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses and guidance. I am pretty much relying on the cardio and calorie reduction for the weight loss and the strength training for the toning and core strengething (pregnancy kills cores) LOL

Just trying to make sure I maintain a healthy calorie intake given my appetite and meals barely break 900-1000 calories these days- which is great for weightloss... but don't want to starve the muscles.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There is a "Strength Training" option under Cardio.
    I suggest getting yourself a good heart rate monitor to track. I found the MFP calculations were way off when I went by what was auto populated.