What to eat Japanese food?

Hi Everyone,

I work next to a Sushi and Japanese restaurant and we often get sushi/Japanese food for lunch. I was browsing the database for Japanese foods and was shocked by the calorie counts on some of the food.

Like a California roll for 300 calories...wow I thought that was a starter not a meal.

So for those of you who eat Sushi, what are you go to favorite calorie reasonable meals?

Replies

• Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    It really depends, but a normal maki roll shouldn't be 300 cals unless it is rather large.

That said, if you want to watch the cals, go for the sashimi instead and cut out the rice calories.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    i typically get 2 cucumber rolls, 1 bowl miso soup, and an order of edamame (can ask for no salt.)
  • My weakness is Chicken Katsu Curry. Wish I knew a low cal recepie.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    i like sashimi... pretty low calorie and delicious!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    lots of rolls include rice, avocado, and/or some kind of creamy sauce (like you find in spicy tuna, usually)
    go for straight sashimi. it is literally just the fish. maybe some seaweed salad? oh Japanese places usually serve edamame, too which are delicious.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    That is probably the entire roll which is enough for a meal...or maybe too much. Most of the appetizers are meant to be shared. I get spicy tuna roll. It's one of my favorite things to eat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I'll do a mix of sashimi and my wife an I will split some edamame and seaweed salad as a starter.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Is brown rice sushi an option? A few pieces of that and some sashimi and edmame makes a good high protein meal
    And clear soups are good too.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    I ususally get one avacado roll with brown rice (about 140-150 calries) and one order of salmon sashimi (about 120 for 3 pieces)
    and if I am really hungry maybe a miso soup. (50-70 cals).
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Typically, I will get ginger salad and share that.
    Edamame with no salt
    Sashimi

or if I need some carbs I will opt for brown rice instead of the white.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Yes that 300 is normally for a 6 piece roll. I love miso soup and seaweed salad also. Sashimi is much lower in calories. Sushi rice has sugar and vinegar in it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Not sure if you realize this but that 300 (I found 255, see link below) is for the ENTIRE roll, not just one piece. That usually means 6-8 pieces. I love going to sushi because I feel like I can eat a TON and it's still low cal.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I love eel in sushi so I usually get one of those and either a california roll or spicy salmon depending on whether or not I feel like treating myself. I'm not a fan of miso soup but I do love that seaweed salad. Just bring some floss with you if you get the salad - that *kitten* really gets crammed up between your teeth!
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    When picking your sushi, especially the rolls, remember a lot of them have mayo, or tempura in them. That is why they would be so high calorically. I love to get nigiri (sashimi on a nugget of rice), and miso soup is low too. Edamame is a good addition. But if you really want some of those rolls, just be cautious of what is in them. You could always ask them to not fry, or to not add mayo?? Or get one that is high, and one that is low. Share the fatty one, and then get a nice palate cleanser like the Avocu roll.

There are decent options. It really just depends on what your tastes are. Ohhh also the Wakame salad is really good too :) If I remember right, it shouldn't be too high calorie wise.

Enjoy :)
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    The "only" sushi place near me is a "Sushi Shop"... I just LOVE sushis... but I have been avoiding it since there's no nutritional facts on their products or website. I can only have Miso soup.
    I wrote to the company, waiting for an answer....

I thought it was now an obligation to have NF on all products.. I don't remember where I heard that though.. and if it's all Canada or just Quebec...