Treadmill Recommendations

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to buy/rent-then-buy a treadmill in the next few weeks, and I'm looking for any recommendations for an inexpensive machine, preferably $1000-$1500AU. Ideally I'd love for it to be able to fold upwards to be stored, but that's not essential.

Any help would be great!

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordictrac treadmill, I have had it for right at 8 years and have never had any issues with it. Been very dependable and folds up. but it is still trcky to move around, very big and heavy but that is a good thing. it is solid and dependable. Good luck .
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thankyou! Any other recommendations?
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've just bought an Epic...loving it much!! Having an issue but the repairman said overall they are very dependable machines.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    bump. I've been looking on craigslist for a decent one.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've got a Reebox RX4000. It's heavy duty. I bought it used off Craig's List for $250. We've had it for about 6 years now, and I use it pretty regularly during winter. My daughters use it a lot, also. The owners before us said they used it every day. I had to change out the padding on the ramp once. It was a 2-day project, but well worth it. It folds up for easy storage. It's a monster, as far as weight goes.

I love ours. I like to do incline drills on it, and to work on my running form. It's been a great investment.

I'd like to add:
    1) Buying used off Craig's List can be a really smart way to go. I bought this treadmill, 2 bicycle trainers, and a stationary bike, all for well less than they were worth. I'm sure there are lots of times when people get taken. But for me, it's saved my family hundreds of dollars.
    2) Buy the best, strongest, highest quality you can afford. There are TONS of cheap treadmills just waiting to go bad and turn into an overpriced coat hanger. The better the motor, the better the treadmill. Bells and whistles are nice, but they're mainly cosmetic. Get a treadmill that will do the job - today, next week, next month, next year, etc. Any treadmill that looks like a serious steal for all the bells and whistles it offers? Yeah, it'll be a steal and the salespeople will be the thieves.
    3) Once you have one at home, put it where you want YOU to be, not where you want the treadmill to be. It's a psychology thing. If you put your treadmill in a deep dark dank and dreary basement, trust me it won't be long before it becomes storage space. But if you put it somewhere in your house that you don't mind being, you're MUCH more likely to use it. We put ours next to our computer, so we can play music or we can keep each other company when somebody's on it. It keeps us from turning our treadmill into a dreadmill.

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You can check out treadmill model reviews at treadmilldoctor.com. I bought a new treadmill in November. I went with the True Fitness PS300. I'm really happy with the performance of it so far. The orthopedic belt may reduce the wear & tear on my knees over time. My physical therapist said running on a treadmill can be more damaging to the joints than running outdoors. I was fortunate this year financially, so I splurged a bit on the purchase as it cost me $2,750. I know a lot of people buy treadmills and lose interest in using them on a regular basis, so quite a few end up as really good deals on Craigslist. I think you are going to be happy with what may be available out there.
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone!