Insanity + strength training

Options
All of my research has shown that if you're not adding strength training to your workouts, you're going to lose muscle, ESPECIALLY if you're doing tons of cardio. So my question is... if I'm planning on doing Insanity, should I be adding a couple full-body strength training days as well?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    All of my research has shown that if you're not adding strength training to your workouts, you're going to lose muscle, ESPECIALLY if you're doing tons of cardio. So my question is... if I'm planning on doing Insanity, should I be adding a couple full-body strength training days as well?

NO. Insanity is far too high in its intensity to add a real strength training program on top of it. It does have bodyweight based strength training built in but it's not a complete program and many muscle groups get ignored. If you want to incorporate real strength training into your workout routine, you should NOT be doing Insanity.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Whats your goal? Weight loss? Fat loss? Strength gain?
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Wahhhhhhhh :( Alright, that makes sense. I'm upset, though, because I REALLY want to do Insanity. But I also have no interest in losing all the muscle I've put so much effort into over the past few months.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You will not lose muscle if you eat enough protein.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Whats your goal? Weight loss? Fat loss? Strength gain?
    Fat loss and strength gain
    It's between Insanity and fitness modeling training right now
    Looks like I'm leaning towards fitness modeling
  • marathon_mama
    Options
    IMO, P90X is way better than Insanity as far as incorparating cardio and weights.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great question - I was wondering the same thing myself.

What about if you don't follow the Insanity schedule as it is written, but instead do a day of Insanity, a day of strength, a day of rest, etc.? Or something like that.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options

What about if you don't follow the Insanity schedule as it is written, but instead do a day of Insanity, a day of strength, a day of rest, etc.? Or something like that.
    THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION OMG
    someone answer plsplspls
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you feel and if you think you won't over do it. I was actually going to do my regular gym routine in the mornings and then do Insanity in the afternoons in lieu of the cardio that I normally do I just haven't gotten my lazy butt up early in the morning to hit the gym. Insanity is a lot of lower body work but there are also push ups and a few tricep dips in the first months routine. It's also a VERY intense workout. You will be panting and sweating after the warm up and it is pretty tiring. Since I'm fairly certain I won't be hitting the gym while doing it I'm just going to go back to the gym when the program is over and then after a few months maybe do Insanity again.

I'm personally not too concerned about a loss of muscle while I do the program because right now my main goal is to just drop some pounds and then I'll go back to lifting to add back muscle.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    IMO, P90X is way better than Insanity as far as incorparating cardio and weights.

It is but if you don't want to buy the equipment and you do want to continue lifting at the gym Insanity is the perfect workout for doing that.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Unless you already have the DVD's I wouldn't run out and buy them to just use them a few times a week. They are far too expensive for that IMO.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can always do a hybrid schedule.. After I had a knee injury, I was told I can't do Insanity 6 days a week and no more Month 2 Plyo at all. So I made schedule that incorprated Insanity 3 days a week and Les Mills Pump (low weight/high rep training) the other 3 days with one day of rest.. Worked out great for me..
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I am on my second week of INSANITY.I have done a round of P90x over a year ago.I got weight loss,definition and toned body after my second baby.Just had my third,so I'm trying insanity.I love P90x.It works.If you push play everyday and eat right,the results are amazing.I'm doing a round p90x once my 60 days with INSANITY is done.
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I disagree that it's too hard...really that depends on where you are. If you aren't use to high intensity then no obviously it would be dumb to try doing both. Otherwise I do insanity and strength and think its much better. I've done several rounds of insanity and got better results incorporating strength too. I like chalean extreme and have tried P90 but just didn't really get into it. Tony was wayyyyyy to annoying for me.
  • marathon_mama
    Options
    I disagree that it's too hard...really that depends on where you are. If you aren't use to high intensity then no obviously it would be dumb to try doing both. Otherwise I do insanity and strength and think its much better. I've done several rounds of insanity and got better results incorporating strength too. I like chalean extreme and have tried P90 but just didn't really get into it. Tony was wayyyyyy to annoying for me.

haha! i had to do it with the volume off. He is annoying for sure.
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Unless you already have the DVD's I wouldn't run out and buy them to just use them a few times a week. They are far too expensive for that IMO.

I downloaded mine from a torrent... Better than paying over $100!!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    tried P90 but just didn't really get into it. Tony was wayyyyyy to annoying for me.

Hah.. Nice to know I wasn't the only one feeling that way..
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options

haha! i had to do it with the volume off. He is annoying for sure.

I'd have the cues on.LOL.I also had music playing in the background.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually think I'm leaning towards a fitness modeling program. I think that fits my needs more than Insanity (no matter how jealous I am of how great the participants look in such a short period of time).
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough you will retain your lean muscle. So follow at least the nutrition calculations and you will lose body fat and less muscle.

Feel free to look at my diary, I calculated out to 1950 and rounded down to 1900 because I don't do much outside of working from home. IMO if you eat less than 1500 cals. a day on Insanity you will run the risk of losing lean muscle.

I'm on my 4th week and though my weight hasn't changed but I am down 2 inches on my waist and my skinny jeans ar rather loose & baggy..

My next round is going to be a hybrid of CHX & Insanity.