Weight lifting and calories burned

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Hmmmm, interesting...I don't take long breaks in between sets and my heart is usually still pumping quite quickly. I only count the time spent actually working out, not the times when I stop so i pause my timer.

Then you need to change up your lifting to higher weights. What you are doing is considered circuit training not strength training. Strength training does not burn a lot of calories but that is not really the point. MFP gives me about 220 calories/hour for strength training ans I do eat those back but the real goal is to build muscle and strength not burn calories.

You need to be eating more than you burn to add weight. As long as you are lifting relatively heavy weights and the surplus calories are not too high you will add muscle and keep fat gains to a minimum.

HRM's are pretty much worthless for strength training so dont bother.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Hmmmm, interesting...I don't take long breaks in between sets and my heart is usually still pumping quite quickly. I only count the time spent actually working out, not the times when I stop so i pause my timer.

Then you need to change up your lifting to higher weights. What you are doing is considered circuit training not strength training. Strength training does not burn a lot of calories but that is not really the point. MFP gives me about 220 calories/hour for strength training ans I do eat those back but the real goal is to build muscle and strength not burn calories.

You need to be eating more than you burn to add weight. As long as you are lifting relatively heavy weights and the surplus calories are not too high you will add muscle and keep fat gains to a minimum.

HRM's are pretty much worthless for strength training so dont bother.

So I shouldnt even log my workouts unless it's purely cardio?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

You should log them either under "strength training" or log them under "circuit training" in the cardio section, depending on what kind of workout you are doing. This is if you follow how MFP has you eating back calories.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

You should log them either under "strength training" or log them under "circuit training" in the cardio section, depending on what kind of workout you are doing. This is if you follow how MFP has you eating back calories.

Using the circuit training option in MFP looks like it gives similar results to the high intensity calculation posted above which is what I typically use for my strength training sessions. So looks like either would work, the circuit training in MFP would be easier.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Using the circuit training option in MFP looks like it gives similar results to the high intensity calculation posted above which is what I typically use for my strength training sessions. So looks like either would work, the circuit training in MFP would be easier.

I have no idea how to log this. I guess I'll only log it if it's pure cardio.....or stop tracking anything at all like food and just make sure i eat healthy, drink plenty of water, stay as active as possible, dont be afraid to treat every once in awhile, workout at a pace i can do and work up my strength by how i feel, ect.....

this is getting to be too much = /
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    Can you get heart rate watches for cheap? I don't really have the money........... = /
    i got mine for 60 bucks at walmart.... but they also had a 35 dollar one....
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Can you get heart rate watches for cheap? I don't really have the money........... = /

They're not accurate for weigh lifting anyway, so I wouldn't waste your money.
    agreed
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Well I knew the caloric estimate for weight lifting was off on MFP but its staggering if that livestrong formula is right.

MFP says I burned 346 calories today.
    Livestrong calculation says 612. !!!

LOL the truth is probably somewhere between those 2. :glasses:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Well I knew the caloric estimate for weight lifting was off on MFP but its staggering if that livestrong formula is right.

MFP says I burned 346 calories today.
    Livestrong calculation says 612. !!!

LOL the truth is probably somewhere between those 2. :glasses:

It really depends on how you work out. Strength training for pure strength and muscle is somewhere from 5-10 reps with enough rest between sets to complete the next set. This is very taxing on the body but does not burn a ton of calories.

A lot of people call what they do strength training but then try to turn it into cardio by keeping rest times short. doing a ton of reps, and/or doing a bunch of work between sets like push ups and stuff. There is nothing wrong with this, it is just not "strength training" and "circuit training" is probably going to be more accurate on the amount of calories burned.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

I have no idea how to log this. I guess I'll only log it if it's pure cardio.....or stop tracking anything at all like food and just make sure i eat healthy, drink plenty of water, stay as active as possible, dont be afraid to treat every once in awhile, workout at a pace i can do and work up my strength by how i feel, ect.....

this is getting to be too much = /

It is really easy. Go to the cardio section just like you would for treadmill or running and type in "circuit training". Then enter the amount of time you worked out.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are missing the difference between strength training and circuit training. Don't get discouraged! Just do a bit of research to gain the understanding and that should help unconfuse you. <3

Don't get an HRM to track calories for your lifting sessions. They are inaccurate for weight lifting.

A lot of lifters eat at a flat calorie amount every day. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), +/- some % for gains/cutting. This would require logging your exercise in MFP for like 1 calorie so as not to affect your daily flat total. This is the method I am going with now. MFP classically has you set at a deficit already and eat any calories you burn back, not at a flat rate every day. How you want to track your cals is up to you. :) It is still important to track calories though, whatever method you choose. I personally wouldn't throw everything to the wind.

I recommend the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women for an introduction to the world of strength training. Or just go peruse some boards like bodybuilding.com or nerdfitness to gain more understanding.

I hope this helps! <3

P.S. I am new to the world of lifting (only two weeks and a few sessions in), but I've been doing a lot of reading. It really helps to understand what you are doing and absorb it in small chunks so you don't get overwhelmed. :)