Staple ingredients for protein shakes?

Options

Replies

• sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    still working out the formula, but your peppermint patties in chocolate protein shakes... sure, it needs the blender and not a shaker bottle, but much better tasting, sadly, two little yorks add 100 Cal with no real protein, so that takes the effecency of the protein amount down from the high 90's down to the the mid 60's (gramsx4)/(Cal) as %
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Chocolate (no sugar) as my protein base
    Then throw in some psyllium husk fiber (fine ground)
    Make it milky with some Unsweetened almond milk and that's my breakfast or post workout nutrition shot.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    go to dashingdish.com for some great protein shake recipes
  • Nabber13
    Nabber13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add some kale for your fresh greens....virtually no taste to it when blended.
    My favourite is like mentioned here: pb, frozen banana, choc almond milk and your protein shake powder.
  • tliepe
    tliepe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daily breakfast after working out is French Vanilla Whey Protein with 1 cup of my favorite coffee(cold) and eight ice cubes in the Ninja. Great replacement for those frosty frapuccino(s)! (gotta have my caffeine)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My fave ...almost always my "go to" after workout smoothie:

Choc protein powder
    Peanut butter
    1/2 frozen banana
    Big handful of baby spinach or kale ( remove stems on kale) or a handful of both
    Water
    ice

Blend to milkshake consistency
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Water
    Shake mix
    Shaker cup
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk, frozen bananas, cocoa, stevia, and ice. Sometimes natural peanut butter if I have the calories for it, sometimes fresh spinach. I've experimented with different flavours but I always go back to banana chocolate.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk! I also like the unflavored protein powders so I can make them any flavor I want! I also like to take real orange extract with some real oranges and zest and add it to the vanilla protein shake. It tastes like a dreamsicle! I also like the all time fave, chocolate and natural peanut butter! Or peanut butter and banana, the list goes on! If I am in a hurry, I will take the unflavored one and add it to my coffee in the morning!
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    When using vanilla powder I like using 8oz. black coffee instead of water or milk and 1 or 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter and a cup of ice cubes (I don't crush/blend the ice though). I always recommend this to people because it tastes really good.

Sometimes I'll add in a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil too if I need a little something extra to help meet my fat grams for the day.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
    A must have for me! I use it in every shake. It's only 40 calories and makes the shake tast great. I also add frozen berries and spinach. You can't taste the spinach with the fruit in it and you get extra veggies in.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy PB and what is the name brand. That sounds like a good idea. I add a banana into my skim milk-makes a nice shake!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love blueberries in my shakes!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy PB and what is the name brand. That sounds like a good idea. I add a banana into my skim milk-makes a nice shake!

I order PB2 and Chia seeds from Amazon. Actually the PB2 came from Peanut Butter Utopia through Amazon. Check the "More Buying Choices" to make sure you get the best price. The main choice Amazon pointed to was more expensive even after paying $7 to ship.

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Fat free Greek yogurt
    Chia seeds
    Banana
    Ice

And

PB2
    Hershey's Special Dark Powder
    Chocolate protein powder
    Wheat germ

Or

Vanilla protein powder
    Frozen fruit (blue berries, black berries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches)
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee for sure, and I recently starting adding a little cottage cheese and sugar free instant pudding powder to my shakes (from dashingdish.com). I find that it makes it really creamy.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My staples are frozen fruit, almond milk, hemp seeds.

I will sometimes add greek yogurt to it.
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I bought my PB2 online from Amazon but I have seen it on the shelf at Whole Foods and it is made by Bell Plantation Inc. It comes in regular and chocolate.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump!

(and hey, I've been wondering about the spinach/kale addition and if you could clearly taste it against the sweet)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    bump!

(and hey, I've been wondering about the spinach/kale addition and if you could clearly taste it against the sweet)

I can't taste the spinach, but I tried kale once, and it added a strong, nearly overwhelming taste to the shake. I love mixing spinach in with some peppermint extract for a mint flavored shake. Add enough frozen bananas, with only about 1/4 cup of milk, and it turns out like mint chocolate chip ice cream. (especially if you add a few chocolate chips. )
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Odd but: Peanut butter protein powder+banana+flax+unsweet almond milk+parsley/kale/etc