I'm failing miserably...

Options
Hi,

I lost 30lbs in 2008 and since xmas I have put 8lbs on and i cannot seem to kick myself into exercise or eating well or anything. I just cannot work out what on earth is wrong with me. I started the year going to the gym every day eating healthy and my weight went up, i then stopped and my weight came down...since then i havent done anything and the weight has crept up.

I just cannot seem to find the starting point...i have been through a bereavement and i think this has knocked me and i cant pull myself back to the starting line and start again.

I have done it before but i just cant get going again this time. Im feeling miserable over it. The scales just keep going up.

Please help me get kick started...ive lost all motivation before i have even begun.

:(

Replies

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    That's a drag, but don't give up. I've been training for a long road race, and every week, the morning after my long run, when I think I've sweated away half my body, my weight ALWAYS goes up. Depressing. But it is just a short term reaction to the exercise. Set some doable goals. Really do 30-40 minutes walking/running each day for a couple of weeks, and chart your food honestly and carefully here. Only weigh yourself once a week and then at the same time of day (right after you wake up and before breakfast, say). The weight WILL come off, but don't get caught up in unreasonable expectations, and don't worry about short term setbacks ... we all get those!
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...you can AND will do it!!!
    Hey, you've done it before haven't you?!?!

Put a smile on your face, that is always the first step for me getting back in to it :wink:

I'd be more than happy to be your motivator if you need/want one.

Best of luck to you and your mission :drinker:

:flowerforyou: T

P.S. I'll be stopping by w/ the weightloss train, so get ready to hop on! Whooot whooot!!!
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just start small with something you like doing and let us know how it went. Stop weighing yourself for a couple of weeks, work steady and focus on how you feel not how much you weigh.

Those days are awful and the great thing about being a part of this site is that we've all had them so we know truly how hard they are. We are ALL rooting for you to come out of the funk and to get back to being wonderful you!!
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    Maybe the goals you had set for yourself were a little too ambitious to sustain for very long. Perhaps you can ease back into working out - I suggest you try to find an activity that you genuinely enjoy, like dancing. Placing unrealistic expectations on ourselves is exhausting!

So, start again today! Remember how far you've come and how hard you've worked for your progress - that always motivates me!

Good luck!
  • nhingley
    Options
    You need to get your "head or emotions" sorted before you can focus on you.
    We dont give ourselves time to grieve because "life goes on"
    Emotionally you need to be ready to put in for you, and the weight will come off, :smile:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to let yourselve go through bereavement process and just allow it to happen. Maybe you can look at diet and exercise as part of the healing process? A good plate of food can make you feel better inside and out. A good sweat at the gym can help you get rid of the nasty stuff in your system and also help brighten your day by giving you a good rush of endorphins.

First don't give up. Second, take life, diet and exercise one hour, meal and session at a time. If you eat poorly one meal, get right back on the horse with the next. If you don't exercise when you planned, immediately make plans for the next time. If you feel bad one hour, look at the clock and say I'm going to feel better next hour.

Don't make yourself feel bad about not having an easy time with dieting and exercising. It just makes it worse. I've been working out and dieting for 8 weeks now. Barely seen a shift on the scale, maintaining weight all along. What I have come to understand is that I am, for lack of a better term, most likely re-activating long unused muscles and it is going to take some time to get them going and my body in the right direct...down!

Good luck and keep your head up!
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your messages. I think i do need to get my head in the right space to begin with. I have been feeling low, i can tell im feeling down about a lot of stuff, about my image, my clothes, and the insecurities have started setting in again. Its a viscous cycle but i do need to get my head straight.

Maybe i will take the dance class and do something i enjoy i tried the gym on saturday but just felt miserable. I think its how im feeling in general and not so much the motivation maybe. I am usually happy and positive, so maybe i just need some time to adjust and move forward.

I find if i just make sure i log every day it keeps me in check, so maybe for now this will be my starting point and move on from there.

Thanks for your words of support.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I agree with alot of the posts on here. Don't think about the used to be's........that gets us all down. Concentrate on the TODAY and what you can do to make YOU feel better and do not set unrealistic goals......they tend to wear us down a bit. I wish you the best of luck and if would like support, I am here:)
  • tuesgirl1031
    tuesgirl1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First thing, put your scale in a closet and DO NOT step on it a while. Second, whatever today is, thats the day you start. If you have two or theree good days, and then make a mistep with your workout or your eating...The next day is the day you start again. Weight loss can be a series of do-overs, the only failure is when you say your not going to try at all anymore. If you give up. This site is a great place for motivation and encouragement...Use it, I dont know you at all, but you have all my support :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help and encouragement. I weighed in mid week out of curiosity and i am down 1 lb so it has encouraged me to keep going with the exercise and healthy eating. I think i am finally turning this ship around !! yay :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Ruby,

Just read the post from the beginning. I feel your pain.

The weekend of Jan 24th, I sustained a head injury--a concussion. For the first week or two, I was a bit tired, and felt a little off center. By the the second week, I was seriously off track, forgetting where I was going while driving, not able to remember what I had eaten or how much water I had consumed.(had to start carrying a little notebook around to write it down or else, it was gone forever.) My doctor tells me I may have to put up with this for up to SIX months :grumble: Unfortunately, this is the third concussion I have had, and therefore, this one has affected me more than the other two ever did..

I found it very difficult to focus on anything for the past 3-4 weeks, so as I stopped watching myself as closely as I have for the last 9 months, I managed to "find" some of the pounds I lost. Considering I got through the holidays and continued to lose, this really brought me down. Instead of figuring, "all is lost" and continuing to head off in the wrong direction, I decided this was the 1st of March and a good time to start over. I resolved to get back on track with my cardio for at least 5 days per week, and strength training 3 times per week. Today, I did do my cardio--not until late tonight, but I did do it.

I am going back to what worked at the start of my journey. Weighing once a week, and remembering how to say "no." Today, I was in the grocery store and saw something that I really like that is not always available. I didn't trust myself to exercise restraint if I had this item within reach, so I just walked away, and left it in the store to tempt someone else.

You CAN do it. We BOTH can do it. Good luck!!! And thank you for posting something that I found inspirational.

BTW, I am sorry for the loss you mentioned. I hope taking care of you will help you come to terms with it.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think you should find some fun exercise to do. I'm pretty sure I'd fail if I was trying to go to the gym every day. Get some work out dvds and start doing them only 3 days a week. Keep logging your food. Never think that you've failed. You had a set-back but you can get back to it. Do this for yourself. You'll feel better, have more energy, and have more self-esteem.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just cannot seem to find the starting point...
    Oh but you HAVE found a starting point. You have found the will to lose weight, that is the start!! Congratulations on that! Now, the next steps will follow, and lead you to success. Keep working towards it, and allow yourself the time it takes without beating yourself up over a timeline.:flowerforyou: