30 day shred

Options
so i'm in the process of starting this today, but wonder if people really lose weight while doing this? some posts i've read people said they haven't lost the weight as fast.....since i've been losing it fairly quickly I don't want anything to hinder it.

i've also been reading that people have been really sore for a few days after doing it.....is it best to take a quick 5 or 10 min walk after doing the 20min dvd?

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It is a tough work out! It's one of the few that actually get my heart-rate up and makes me sweat! I often walk or jog 2-3 miles in addition to the work out (Shred in the AM, jog in the eve.) You will be sore, but just keep at it and it does get easier (then you take it to the next level and repeat the pain LOL) GL and Congrats on your weight loss!
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    It is a tough work out! It's one of the few that actually get my heart-rate up and makes me sweat! I often walk or jog 2-3 miles in addition to the work out (Shred in the AM, jog in the eve.) You will be sore, but just keep at it and it does get easier (then you take it to the next level and repeat the pain LOL) GL and Congrats on your weight loss!

thanks i think i will go for a quick walk after the work out...i may not even get through the whole thing today lol

also, how do we log the exercise from this?
  • canadagirl79
    Options

thanks i think i will go for a quick walk after the work out...i may not even get through the whole thing today lol

• Gems7882
    Gems7882 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Even I had that query.... How to log this 30 day shred.

Do share any other exercise regime that u follow along with HM 30 day shred.
  • phollywood8785
    Options
    I love this workout it is very tough! And you will be very sore but keep it up..I wa losing inches from it first! :smile:
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I followed it by walking 1 mile on the treadmill. Later tonight, I will get back on the treadmill again for another mile or 2. :)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this workout. I am losing inches fast but gaining weight. I expected this because I had absolutely NO muscle at all, so it doesn't really bother me.....as long as the pants sizes keep dropping. A new Shredders Group just started to today. If you'd like to take part the title is: NEW SHRED GROUP WEEK 1.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Hey shredders! I did level 1 for a couple days a few months back, but today a group of us on here started 30 day shred... feel free to join it if you'd like it's the new shred group- week 1.

Anyway it may make you sore, I'm not sore after today, but I'm sure I will be tomorrow morning! To log the exercise many of us have used circuit trainer. I have a bodybugg so it seems to be the same amount of calories that I burn when I log it. Also a few of the other shredders use HRM's and they get the same calories they burned when they log it as circuit training. It's about 22 minutes (with warm-up & cooldown) so circuit training should be pretty accurate.

Good Luck & feel free to join our group!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I :heart: this workout. I am losing inches fast but gaining weight. I expected this because I had absolutely NO muscle at all, so it doesn't really bother me.....as long as the pants sizes keep dropping. A new Shredders Group just started to today. If you'd like to take part the title is: NEW SHRED GROUP WEEK 1.

When I first did the first few days of it months ago I was disappointed not seeing weight loss, wasn't really gaining, but wasn't losing either. But from what I've been hearing the first week or two you may not see any weight loss or may see a gain. That's just because of the muscle gain (since it weighs more than fat) and you lose inches. Plus a toned body always looks a little more thin right? And from what I hear after that first week or two, the pounds begin to drop, maybe even all at once.

So I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had this problem. Don't let it discourage us! We can do this and will get in better shape in the process.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I have also done 30 Day Shred several times, but never stuck with it the full 30 Days. I noticed a lot of people mentioned the soreness...I myself never had this problem because I did about 15-20 minutes of stretching when I finished to keep the soreness at bay and it really helped.

My favorite stretching video is Slim & Limber, which is part of the Slim in 6 series. It's a lifesaver!
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    OMG...so, i just finished my first day on level 1 and i am freaking pooooooooooooooped and sweaty!!! holy lord.......at least i know now what i'm in for but there is no way i can go for a walk now LOL...i will just settle for some housework after I eat supper....man ohn man..i did not know it was going to be *THAT* hard......there were many times i had to stop in between and take a break and drink some water.....

the only problem I have is with doing the jumping jacks and skip rope (if you ladies know what I mean)....can you say "OUCH" LOL
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    Hey shredders! I did level 1 for a couple days a few months back, but today a group of us on here started 30 day shred... feel free to join it if you'd like it's the new shred group- week 1.

Anyway it may make you sore, I'm not sore after today, but I'm sure I will be tomorrow morning! To log the exercise many of us have used circuit trainer. I have a bodybugg so it seems to be the same amount of calories that I burn when I log it. Also a few of the other shredders use HRM's and they get the same calories they burned when they log it as circuit training. It's about 22 minutes (with warm-up & cooldown) so circuit training should be pretty accurate.

Good Luck & feel free to join our group!

the level 1 came out to just over 27mins...when i logged it as circurt training, general it said i burned 388 cals...IS THAT RIGHT??? that seems like a lot?
  • bjenegiles
    bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian's 30 day Shred but am sooo terrified of doing it!! LOL I think that I will start it today. I am on this mission to lose it so I can't be afraid of the pain cause I am definately NOT AFRAID of the awesome results. Let me know how your experience was with it!!
  • canadagirl79
    Options

When I first did the first few days of it months ago I was disappointed not seeing weight loss, wasn't really gaining, but wasn't losing either. But from what I've been hearing the first week or two you may not see any weight loss or may see a gain. That's just because of the muscle gain (since it weighs more than fat) and you lose inches. Plus a toned body always looks a little more thin right? And from what I hear after that first week or two, the pounds begin to drop, maybe even all at once.

So I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had this problem. Don't let it discourage us! We can do this and will get in better shape in the process.

i wonder tho, if i keep walking like have these past 2 months, if i will still see the weight loss....i might have built up some muscle already with the walking i've done, but i hope that if i keep walking i will still lose the pounds
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

I had a hard time figuring out how many calories this burns. I did a ton of googleing and some people claim they only burn 120, this seems very wrong to me. For me my heart rate is up the entire 27 minutes. I figured out (with out a heart rate monitor) that it burns aprx 260 calories for me. To my understanding this changes with your weight. I guess the only way to really know is with a heart rate monitor. I put it under cardio. Did you try it yet? :happy:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    When I do 30 Day Shred, I typically burn about 386-486 calories, depending on how hard I'm working, according to my HRM. I am 5'6" and was about 200 lbs. when I last did the workout. I hope this helps.