how do you make your veggies...

Options
iamkarent
iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
Lately I have been trying to eat more veggies, to make the calories go further and...just to be more healthy..

Well..I like roasted veggies...easy to toss them in the oven and come back later to a nice plateful to enjoy..

However...what I have been doing is cutting up a couple cups of brussel sprouts, cup of carrots, some onions and whatever random things I have around...toss in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and various seasonings and pop the open pan in the oven to roast.. then I have one serving for lunch and another to stick in the fridge for later...

Is there a better way to cut down the calories of all that oil? Roasting in foil or such..how much oil do you use?

Or other ideas for easy ways to prep them....I guess a steamer..

What do you do as your fave veggies?

Replies

• dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    im interested in this also, i been just buying steamers.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just steam mine and flavor them with fresh herbs or cayenne--something that packs a punch to make up for not using oil. A small drizzle of oil after steaming probably wouldn't be the end of the world though!

You can also "healthy saute" by cooking your veggies in a little chicken broth in a saute pan with a lid. You don't have to fill the pan with broth, just an inch or so to create some steam when you put the lid on and add some flavor to your veggies.

Hope this helps!
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Has anynoe tried an oil spritzer? I understand you can really cut back on the amount you use with those. Where you would use a tablespoon or more if you dribble with the spritzer you use about 1/2 teaspoon.... any coaching on those? Are they worth it?

I like steaming or microwave too... uber fast and no pan to clean up. Just a drizzle of water and a cling wrap cover and poof. I love butter sprinkles and other flavored zero cal sprinklees too.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As I typed I pretty much answered my own post...I remembered I used to make a lot in my steamer. I had gotten one a couple years ago when I had been trying this before....that was a double layer..so you could separate things...

Very easy to pop some veggies in...stick some seasoning on...click the timer to 20 mins(or whatever you need) and come back to some easy veggies...AND no OIL!!!

Also easy to put some fish in the bottom layer for some fast lunch...

DUH.....time to break that back out...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    When I roast veggies I usually use about 1/2 of the oil the recipe calls for. You might try experimenting to see how little oil you can get away with.

<3 oven-roasted Brussels sprouts!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you can steam them.

but roasting with a little olive oil like you've been doing seems perfectly reasonable.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I drizzle just a bit of EVOO onto my veggies and oven roast them or grill them in foil when I grill meals. I'll add things like pepper flakes to kick it up a notch. I find the EVOO to be healthy and adds a nice touch to the veggies. A local oilery has many types of EVOO including garlic, lemon and jalapeno oils. Great to cook with all around.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    olive oil is really good for you. go ahead with it, just use a very little bit to cut back calories. Or steam, as you've said. I put them in the microwave with a bit of seasoning and butter (yeah, I know. It's canola oil/butter blend. oh well.)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Olive oil has monounsaturated fatty acids which are good for your heart. You don't need a lot. Just a drizzle and then toss well, season with herbs, sea salt and cracked pepper, and roast. Now I'm hungry.

Oh, and minced garlic. :love:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything to make veggies anything but loathsome but can't.
    I hate veggies.
    I just juice my veggies and supplement with fiber.
    That's as good as it gets.:embarassed:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have a Misto. It lets you use the oil of your choice so you can get the flavor you want, and it definitely cuts way back on the calories. If you're going to drizzle oil, drizzle a teaspoon and toss really well, then add more as needed. A little oil can go a long way. Also, use spices! Don't rely on the oil for flavor - opt for some cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, rosemary, etc.

I stir-fry, saute, and grill veggies a lot, but I don't think it's healthier than roasting, it just provides variety.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything to make veggies anything but loathsome but can't.
    I hate veggies.
    I just juice my veggies and supplement with fiber.
    That's as good as it gets.:embarassed:

That is so sad... I love all veggies. There are so many varieties and different preparations. Some people can't stand mushrooms or olives... I could eat them all day.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    By veggies, are you referring to high-starchy vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, beans, parnips) or low-starchy vegetables (everything else)?

I consider high-starchy vegetables a part of the "grain group", which I collectively call the high-carb groups. Therefore, to me, for high-starchy vegetables, replace a serving of "grain" with a high-starchy vegetable.

For low-starchy vegetables, having a soup and/or salad, in addition, to a serving at every meal will help.

For lower fat cooking, I use my slow cooker, steamer, microwave. When I am baking vegetables, I do what I call the parchment-pouch method.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance which is an oil based vegan butter alternative - probably not any lower calorie than olive oil...however, I see a lot of people with the zero or low caloire butter sprays on their vegetables instead of butter or oil, so that might be something to try...guess spray butter is not just for baking anymore!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Misto oil sprayer and/or broth steaming/blanching. :-)

I have a Misto at home and spray on Extra Virgin Olive Oil to just coat them. I have a really hot sautee pan going and spray just the bottom. I throw in the veggies, toss them to sear a little, throw in about 4 - 8 tablespoons of water and cover briefly to steam them just-barely. I don't like my sprouts squishy. They have to be seared and crunchy for me. :-) When the water is gone, take off the lid and throw on your favorite seasoning and toss the veggies so they sear again and just start to have that crisp look where the sprouts touch the pan. Remove from heat and let rest in the pan for a minute. Serve hot!

The rest I steam and top with seasoning, or roast but just with broth coatings instead of oil. The key is keeping them moist if you are roasting that way. if they dry out they taste funky. Veggie broth works but I use chicken. You can blanch veggies in broth as well to get them to that nice just-cooked state, drain them and sear them really fast to get the roasted veggie effect.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I mist on olive oil with a sprayer and add salt, pepper and spices du jour. Teaspoon is around 60 calories. I'll do an extra 5 minutes of exercise for my olive oil.

I cook either on the grill or roasted in the oven. Roasted carrots and snap peas make a great snack.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oil is VERY good for you. I would worry more about bad carb intake (get your daily carbs from 95%-100% veggies) than eliminating/ greatly reducing good fats.
  • lcorder1
    Options
    I would cook the vegetables with the seasoning first, then at the end, toss 1 tbsp of Olive oil or less. Olive oil is good for you but this way you are saving on the oil and still getting the benefits of it, specially if you don't eat the entire batch of roasted veggies. That is my favorite way to eat veggies also.

I also tried mashed cauliflour, it was to die for. Steam them with little bit of salt, then mash them with roasted garlic little milk and 1 tsp olive oil.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Steaming is good - no extra calories at all so you can afford to fill up on them. Try with Clubhouse no salt vegetable seasonings - or "Molly Mc Butter (buttery taste - no oil, or a drizzle of Ketjap Manis (south east Asian sweet soya sauce) or, a teaspoon of Chinese oyster sauce (does not taste like oysters, trust me) and a few drops of toasted sesame oil. OR try braising them - Pam spray in a cold pan, then heat the pan and saute (works best if cut small - try bagged coleslaw mix) then add a few tablespoons of broth and steam/fry until the broth is absorbed (if you try this with cabbage and carrots, add a generous amount of fresh ground pepper and finish with a dollop of fat free sour cream - as you take them off the heat.) Roasting is nice - try tossing with a bit of pepper, garlic powder and some smoked paprika - then spray the works with oil or Pam. OR try blanching in boiling water for just a few minutes then shocking in ice water and chilling. Toss the blanched cold veggies with a fwe drops of sesame oil and rice vinegar and a grating of garlic then chill for a bit to allow flavors to marry (great with any oriental veggie - especially bean sprouts). Blanced cold veggies can also be dressed with a non fat italian or greek salad dressing and marinated an hour or so (YUM). I love my veggies.....
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to drizzle some EVOO onto asaragus then lightly cover with parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 mins. Yum!

Sauteing is fun, though keep it light on the butter.

Also, cucumber and grape tomato with fresh dill lightly coated in EVOO for something quick and cold.