Gluten Free and Carbs

Options
So i'm starting to train for a half marathon and from what I read need to eat more carbs. I eat a lot of protein and veggies. For example tonight I am having salmon and string beans but no carbs like rice or potato. Majority of the Gluten Free foods out there are so fattening especially the carbs like the breads and pastas. I eat brown rice and sweet potatoes but that gets tiring after awhile. As you know gluten free bread is not that good and it's costly and has a lot of carbs.

Another reason I don't eat much gluten free bread is because it has to be defrosted, then toasted and it's too much work just for a sandwich so I usually make a lettuce wrap.

If you are a runner and eat gluten free what kind of carbs do you eat?

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley, so all other carbohydrates are gluten free. Carbohydrates are starches and sugars and are found in plant products, so, fruits, vegetables, and grains. You don't need a significant increase per se in your carbohydrate intke to train for a half marathon. Not sure what your carb intake is now, but I would think you woud have no trouble getting plenty of carbs from gluten free foods like fruits, veggies, beans/peas/lentils, and other grains like quinoa, and rice, etc.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I guess I was thinking pasta, which there is gluten free pasta but they are so fattening, whole grain bread, whole grain cereal. I haven't found any whole grain cereal or bread that is gluten free at least not where I live. I just brought quinoa for the first time so I'm going to see how that goes even though i'm not sure how to cook it. In my journal I always have extra carbs left to eat meanwhile negative in protein. I was just thinking I needed to up my carbs. Not right now but when I get to those longs runs of 10+.
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So i'm starting to train for a half marathon and from what I read need to eat more carbs. I eat a lot of protein and veggies. For example tonight I am having salmon and string beans but no carbs like rice or potato. Majority of the Gluten Free foods out there are so fattening especially the carbs like the breads and pastas. I eat brown rice and sweet potatoes but that gets tiring after awhile. As you know gluten free bread is not that good and it's costly and has a lot of carbs.

Another reason I don't eat much gluten free bread is because it has to be defrosted, then toasted and it's too much work just for a sandwich so I usually make a lettuce wrap.

If you are a runner and eat gluten free what kind of carbs do you eat?

You don't have to defrost the bread/bagel before you toast it. I have gluten intolerance and have been gluten free for 11 months. I eat my gluten free bread/bagels every single day :)
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I have been Gluten Free for some time as well. I guess there are those breads like the baguettes and rolls that come packaged but again they taste horrible if they are not toasted. And they are so fattening. I'm trying to stay away from the Gluten Free processed foods. You don't toast your gluten free bread?
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley, so all other carbohydrates are gluten free. Carbohydrates are starches and sugars and are found in plant products, so, fruits, vegetables, and grains. You don't need a significant increase per se in your carbohydrate intke to train for a half marathon. Not sure what your carb intake is now, but I would think you woud have no trouble getting plenty of carbs from gluten free foods like fruits, veggies, beans/peas/lentils, and other grains like quinoa, and rice, etc.

I'm with this guy. Why do you need to eat more pasta to train for a marathon? My sister runs half-marathons and she eats gluten free, as well. She just eats a ton of beans and rice and loads of veggies with her lean protien. She hasn't fallen over from a pasta deficiency yet...
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have been Gluten Free for some time as well. I guess there are those breads like the baguettes and rolls that come packaged but again they taste horrible if they are not toasted. And they are so fattening. I'm trying to stay away from the Gluten Free processed foods. You don't toast your gluten free bread?

Define "fattening."
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I was asking about eating and training and from what I asked and reponses I got plus doing research it says to eat a little more carbs. When I do my diary I am always short on carbs. I'm just trying to do a lot of research on training and nutrition. I wasn't thinking I can get them from what I already eat. I guess I was thinking things like pasta, whole grain cereal and whole grain bread which is what I found online but I don't eat so I was trying to find other ways besides rice and sweet potatoes to get my carbs in as I don't eat beans.

As far as fattening what I mean is for example I can have a piece of regular bread for 44grams per slice where as the gluten free one will be about 76grams per slice. The same with pasta. This has been my experienced when I have compared gluten free products to non gluten free products. I have to read the label on everything and have noticed that. My Dr. who after 8 years finally diagnosed me told me the same thing. To stay away from gluten free processed foods as they are fattening and to eat the way gluten free is supposed to be eaten: lean meats, veggies, fruits. Not that I always follow this.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was asking about eating and training and from what I asked and reponses I got plus doing research it says to eat a little more carbs. When I do my diary I am always short on carbs. I'm just trying to do a lot of research on training and nutrition. I wasn't thinking I can get them from what I already eat. I guess I was thinking things like pasta, whole grain cereal and whole grain bread which is what I found online but I don't eat so I was trying to find other ways besides rice and sweet potatoes to get my carbs in as I don't eat beans.

As far as fattening what I mean is for example I can have a piece of regular bread for 44grams per slice where as the gluten free one will be about 76grams per slice. The same with pasta. This has been my experienced when I have compared gluten free products to non gluten free products. I have to read the label on everything and have noticed that. My Dr. who after 8 years finally diagnosed me told me the same thing. To stay away from gluten free processed foods as they are fattening and to eat the way gluten free is supposed to be eaten: lean meats, veggies, fruits. Not that I always follow this.

44 grams and 76 grams of what? Fat? Carbs? Or did you mean calories?
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free too, and Udi's gluten free bread is actually really good, tastes the same as the regular bread I used to eat. And it's super easy the way i do it (i like my bread toasted for sandwiches and stuff in general) but i wrap the piece of bread in a paper towel, microwave just regularly for 30 sec, pull it out and it's defrosted and then just toast it a little bit to get the moisture out. It's really not hard at all because I take it out first and while it's in the microwave get the rest of my sandwich makings, and then when it's toasting I just get everything else, like my drink, or measure out my side dish if I'm having one, stuff like that.

Also try quinoa, like you said brown rice (you could throw some white or wild rice in there too) there are other things like gluten free pizza crust (Udi's makes one too) and if you have 1/2 of it it's not bad, or you can buy gluten free all purpose flour (so you don't have to worry about mixing flour yourself) and make recipes that call for flour with that

also instead of buying "gluten free pasta" that is like supposed to be like regular wheat pasta, just buy rice noodles, or buckwheat (udon) because it's not all processed but it is still gluten free
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I'm gluten free too, and Udi's gluten free bread is actually really good, tastes the same as the regular bread I used to eat. And it's super easy the way i do it (i like my bread toasted for sandwiches and stuff in general) but i wrap the piece of bread in a paper towel, microwave just regularly for 30 sec, pull it out and it's defrosted and then just toast it a little bit to get the moisture out. It's really not hard at all because I take it out first and while it's in the microwave get the rest of my sandwich makings, and then when it's toasting I just get everything else, like my drink, or measure out my side dish if I'm having one, stuff like that.

I heard a lot about that but i'm in Spain and they don't have Udi's. Thanks for the advice. I usually let it defrost by letting it sit on the counter and then I toast it in the oven with aluminum foil. I guess I can buy a toaster that's just for me. I'm making it harder on myself.

Also try quinoa, like you said brown rice (you could throw some white or wild rice in there too) there are other things like gluten free pizza crust (Udi's makes one too) and if you have 1/2 of it it's not bad, or you can buy gluten free all purpose flour (so you don't have to worry about mixing flour yourself) and make recipes that call for flour with that

I make a lot of things myself but my pizza never comes out right:) I'm going to try quinoa this weekend. I live in Spain so it's so easy to eat here Gluten Free but they also have a lot of processed foods that I don't care too much for but there are a ton of gluten free restaurants.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    Sorry trying this "quote" thing out.

I heard a lot about that but i'm in Spain and they don't have Udi's. Thanks for the advice. I usually let it defrost by letting it sit on the counter and then I toast it in the oven with aluminum foil. I guess I can buy a toaster that's just for me. I'm making it harder on myself.
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I toast it but i don't defrost it first. I don't buy the stuff that isn't frozen.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and a fructose allergy so I don't eat many carbs at all compared to prediagnosis. I eat tons of salad and quinoa but the majority of my diet is protein and fats. I am a marathon runner. I do not have problems with energy and have noticed speed and endurance improvements after the dietary changes. Hope this helps :)
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also I make my "pasta" out of zucchini. I use a peeler and make long strips, add sea salt, drain and squeeze out the water, then boil for 2-3 minutes. Add olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan and voila! It's very tasty.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I have celiac and a fructose allergy so I don't eat many carbs at all compared to prediagnosis. I eat tons of salad and quinoa but the majority of my diet is protein and fats. I am a marathon runner. I do not have problems with energy and have noticed speed and endurance improvements after the dietary changes. Hope this helps :)

Thank you. This is what I was trying to say. Since being Gluten Free and being diagnosed with a gluten intolerance (still have to do a biopsy as they say test come back negative all the time) I don't eat many carbs. I just thought runner's needed more carbs when running more than so many miles. Thanks for responding. You hit right on what I was trying to say and the response I wanted.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    Also I make my "pasta" out of zucchini. I use a peeler and make long strips, add sea salt, drain and squeeze out the water, then boil for 2-3 minutes. Add olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan and voila! It's very tasty.

Wow that sounds good. I'm going to add to my recipe book.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary so I don't know what your current target for carbs is, or what sources you are currently using.

What race are you training for and when is it?
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I cant see your diary so I don't know what your current target for carbs is, or what sources you are currently using.

What race are you training for and when is it?

My daily carb goal set by MFP is 205 and i'm averaging about 120. My protein is set at 56 and i'm averaging in the 90s and usually have somewhere in the 80s left for carbs.

It seems I get most of my carbs from string beans, blueberries, milk and sometimes a gluten free pita bread that I love to eat with my salads. Rice and potato as well but I don't eat them as much. Not that I don't like them but I usually am full from chicken/fish and some type of 1c veggies.

I'm training for the Madrid Half Marathon on April 7th. I have low iron and I'm usually nauseous. So I guess i'm trying to find the best balance for me as far as eating and working out.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruits like banana, or dried fruit like raisins or apricot should give you a carb boost. I like to eat a handful of dried fruit before I go running.

I'm hoping to run my first half marathon in 2013, too- good luck!