Hello everyone!

Options
laurae
laurae Posts: 115 Member
I just started logging two days ago. I've got the habit of exercising consistantly, but trouble with loving food. I had been logging calorie intake on my own on paper, but not subtracting my exercise.

:huh: I'm a little confused about the goal setting. I used the "guided" form and chose to lose 1 & 1/2 lbs. per week, and it had my net calories at 1200. Then I tried changing it to 2 lbs. per week, and it still said net calories 1200. It also only has me set to lose 1.2 lbs. per week. Is that because it does not recommend going below a 1200 calorie intake (perhaps they're calculating a NET 1200)? I would take in more than 1200 due to the exercise I do (6 days a week/ about 1 hour a day - mixture of cardio and weights; I also walk a dog about 3 times/day totaling about 2 miles). I now have custom set the goal and it is allowing me to go under 1200 net.

:flowerforyou: I'm 43, a little under 5'4", and currently weigh 155. I hope to get back to 145 which was a comfortable weight for me and my clothes all fit well. About 5 years ago I lost a lot of weight (25 lbs.) and was down to 133. As time went on, my strength increased and I gradually went up to 145, but all my clothes still fit fine, so I figured it must be muscle gain. I lift a lot of weights, 3 times a week, so I know my weight is higher due to muscle. I just need to get my eating under control. I have five kids ages 4, 8, 12, 15, & 17. I homeschool the youngest four and am home most of the day. As much as my kids snack, it takes a lot of self control for me to not snack with them. :drinker:

Replies

• laurae
    Options
    I just started logging two days ago. I've got the habit of exercising consistantly, but trouble with loving food. I had been logging calorie intake on my own on paper, but not subtracting my exercise.

:huh: I'm a little confused about the goal setting. I used the "guided" form and chose to lose 1 & 1/2 lbs. per week, and it had my net calories at 1200. Then I tried changing it to 2 lbs. per week, and it still said net calories 1200. It also only has me set to lose 1.2 lbs. per week. Is that because it does not recommend going below a 1200 calorie intake (perhaps they're calculating a NET 1200)? I would take in more than 1200 due to the exercise I do (6 days a week/ about 1 hour a day - mixture of cardio and weights; I also walk a dog about 3 times/day totaling about 2 miles). I now have custom set the goal and it is allowing me to go under 1200 net.

:flowerforyou: I'm 43, a little under 5'4", and currently weigh 155. I hope to get back to 145 which was a comfortable weight for me and my clothes all fit well. About 5 years ago I lost a lot of weight (25 lbs.) and was down to 133. As time went on, my strength increased and I gradually went up to 145, but all my clothes still fit fine, so I figured it must be muscle gain. I lift a lot of weights, 3 times a week, so I know my weight is higher due to muscle. I just need to get my eating under control. I have five kids ages 4, 8, 12, 15, & 17. I homeschool the youngest four and am home most of the day. As much as my kids snack, it takes a lot of self control for me to not snack with them. :drinker:
  • avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    they can't lower your net calories lower then 1200 or your body would go into starvation mode and you could get sick, weak and mess up your metabolism all together. plus, if you have something like a desk job then you only loss a certain number of calories cause your off your feet all day. they log it based on your job and daily activities. it just means that due to your way of life you can only lose 1.2 pounds a week.
  • Dawn1788
    Dawn1788 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've just joined up this website but have a lot of weight to lose - about 48 lbs. Having been on diets since I was 16 (I'm now 44), I would think that a busy mum like you would need to eat at least 1400 calories a day as you need energy. You may be able to sustain less for a short while. Eating less that that may send your body into 'starvation mode' when it stops burning off calories. This also messes up your metabolic rate and leads to yo-yo dieting.

I hope this helps.

Dawn
  • laurae
    Options
    With the way I have it set at now, 1000 net calories, I can consume about 1500 - 1600 calories total due to my exercise. I wonder how accurate the exercise calorie count is. It doesn't take into account the step aerobics being high or low impact. Also, for strength training, it's hard to time because of the rests between sets. When I walk, I use a pedometer which counts my calories burned, steps, miles, and time. When I compare the pedometer results with the exercise database, they are very close. I guess I'll just have to give it a week or so and see the results on the scale to see if the way I have it set up is working for me. So far, I am not feeling underfed. I have not noticed much change on the scale, though it's only been three days.:happy: