My Catch 22

Options
My dilemma: I started running 8 weeks ago, doing the couch to 5K program. I am LOVING how I feel, and the inches I have lost. . . The scale has finally started to move! BUT, about 3 weeks ago I developed Peroneal Tendonitis. I have been doing the recommended PT, and icing, and have cut back on my running. I am also taping both ankles for each run.

Everyone keeps telling me I need to completely quit exercising for a month to let it heal. I do NOT want to quit. Not only do I love the way I feel, but I am terrified that if I stop, I will start gaining weight since my body is used to exercise now.

Any advice?

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What's your doctor telling you?

If the answer is they think you should rest, then REST. What's one month without exercise compared to the health of your tendons over the rest of your life? And if you do more damage, wouldn't you think it's only going to make it harder for you to exercise (and stay at a healthy weight) over time? If you still want to be active in 30/40/50+ years, take care of your body RIGHT NOW :)

It's still totally possible to lose weight without exercise, even if it's not necessarily the best way. Just set yourself to a very small deficit (.5 lb/week), and be very diligent about tracking your food. At the very least, you should be able to maintain until you're able to introduce exercise back into your routine. If you rest up, it will hopefully just be a very small setback, rather than a major major issue forever. Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. Don't eat above your TDEE, and you shouldn't gain.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Im running around 40 miles a week. I have had achillies tendonitis for 3 months now but I cant stop. If you can stand the pain, keep going, if it alters your form, then you may want to stop as that will lead to other injuries.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    Pick up another type of exercise that you enjoy. so at least you aren't constantly stressing your body w the same movements over and over.
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    Sports Med Dr, and my D.O., both said to give it a month, and if it is still hurting to come in and do xrays. Both agreed I could try PT and taping (which I started on Monday).

Hopefully it will slowly start getting better. I am now only running 3 days a week, rather than 6. If it isn't any better in a week, I will take some time off!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    What's your doctor telling you?

If the answer is they think you should rest, then REST. What's one month without exercise compared to the health of your tendons over the rest of your life? And if you do more damage, wouldn't you think it's only going to make it harder for you to exercise (and stay at a healthy weight) over time? If you still want to be active in 30/40/50+ years, take care of your body RIGHT NOW :)

It's still totally possible to lose weight without exercise, even if it's not necessarily the best way. Just set yourself to a very small deficit (.5 lb/week), and be very diligent about tracking your food. At the very least, you should be able to maintain until you're able to introduce exercise back into your routine. If you rest up, it will hopefully just be a very small setback, rather than a major major issue forever. Good luck!

This. And as someone else said, there are other ways to exercise. Better to take some time now to heal then continue to damage your body so that you will never be able to do what you want to.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'll get hate mail for this suggestion, but have you considered changing the way you run? Start slow, of course... but I've had a lot of good results from 'barefoot' style running. There are different types of shoes they recommend that will change the way you stride, plus you shorten your stride and land on the balls of your feet instead of the heels.

You could try it for a quarter mile or so, walk, try the steps again, and then rest until the next run. They say that it takes a bit for your body to adjust, but the technique seems to lessen people's pain and injuries due to running.

Best wishes to you.
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    I am wondering if that is what caused my tendonitis. I bought new shoes, with arch support right before thanksgiving. They felt GREAT until I got tendonitis.!!
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I could run, the wrong shoe could really mess me up. It might be the shoes.
    Now that I have arthritis in the balls of my feet I have to wear special insoles that have what looks like a thick piece of tape right by where the arthritis is. Amazingly, something even this small is able to alter the way my foot moves enough to stop the pain.
    If something this small can help so much, then no doubt the smallest problem with the soles can hurt alot.
    The wrong arch supports used to ALWAYS cause lots of pain and trouble.
    I always took time off for ailments like yours.
    I really liked to swim instead, or just do the stationary bike.:frown:
    Now the only place I can run pain free is on the trampoline, so that's what I do!!

I also used to run and swim on alternate days, to add variety and this turned out to be handy for when I was injured running and needed to lay off awhile. Then I could just double up on swimming and not start to gain weight from not exercising. You might want to cross-train some so you'll have more options when you can't run.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. Hope you get better soon. Sorry about the tendonitis!!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if that is what caused my tendonitis. I bought new shoes, with arch support right before thanksgiving. They felt GREAT until I got tendonitis.!!

Which Couch to 5K programme has you training six times a week only five weeks in? That is not usual, it's well known the muscles (including the heart) strengthen faster than the connective tissue (ligaments, tendons). Did you need arch support, or did you need the amount those shoes provide? Did you have a full gait analysis including being video'd on the treadmill? Did you break the new shoes in slowly or go out six times a week in them right away? Have you been advised to work on the trigger points (deep tissue massage/ self myofascial release) in your lower legs? Why do you think resting the tendon means you have to quit exercising? Consider a low impact activity like intense strength training or high intensity work on the elliptical trainer.

What you have is likely an overuse injury, possibly exacerbated by the change of footwear. Two of the biggest predictors of injury are the number of consecutive days training and prior injury - exercise breaks the muscles and connective tissue down, rest and good nutrition builds it back up again. Even professional athletes cycle their training hard and easy days/ weeks and a mixture of activities. People who are not willing to rest when injured are at risk of overtraining syndrome or exercise addiction.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    heal. cycling. heal. run.