Too MUCH black pepper

Options
I tried being good, and making my own Chicken Noodle soup.... needless to say... I have a heavy hand when it comes to spices, and used way to much black pepper... I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to "save" it from the garbage disposal????

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I would just add more stock or water to thin it out a bit. There's no neutralizer for black pepper...but diluting will help!
  • tinab110473
    Options
    you can try adding more water hope this helps
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    There are quite a few wive's tales regarding reducing the effect of overspicing / overseasoning. Unfortunately, they aren't true and don't work. Only thing you can do to offset set it is to decrease it's proportion in the dish (i.e. add more of something else, in this case it would be broth). My solution would be to simply call it something creative Black Pepper Chicken Soup. Tell people it's supposed to be like that, and enjoy the "kick"...

Add a bit of lemon juice / lemon zest (which pairs well with black pepper and chicken) and enjoy it as a new creation.

Signed,

A Guy Who Can Cook
  • nroesler
    Options
    I had a similar situation with butternut squash soup and cinnamon and I had to scrap it! Sorry no advice but I know how frustrating it is to spend hours on something and have a heavy hand ruin everything! Good luck!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have a book that says to put some fresh parsley leaves in a mesh bag and let them soak in the soup for 20 minutes of so and they'll absorb the strong pepper flavor. Then, you remove the bag and the soup should be better. I have never tried this, so I'm not sure if it works or not, but it might be worth a try before you throw the soup away! :flowerforyou:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    You can also use the soup as a base to marinade things like steak or chicken. Obviously dilute it, but if it's still too strong I suggest adding separating it for other purposes. Or make smaller batches of soup and dilute that way! HA! I love spices but too much pepper... I agree, is just too much :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Oh I would love some. :laugh: I love lots of pepper in my soup. I grew up having soup that had a scotch bonnet pepper cooking in it..

You could add more broth to thin it out.
    or
    You could deal with it, eat it in smaller amounts, drink lots of water and hey, it will flush out your sinuses, your nasal passages :laugh: and possibly more.
  • ccounts
    Options
    I've heard of adding a potato to the soup, but I think that's for salt. Yes, I'm a heavy hand with black pepper. Some day they'll tell us it's bad for us or good for us. I've never heard anything one way or the other.
  • firepixie
    Options
    if you have more stock you could strain out the noodles and good stuff and put it in fresh stock. If you made it totally from scratch... no idea, sorry. Hope you figure it out.