anyone do crossfit

Options
I was thinking of joining crossfit and want some feedback if its worth it

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Might be better to just join a gym, lift heavy things and eat your face off.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you are going to get a lot of different feedback from every one.

i think that if crossfit is what gets people lifting and active, it's not bad.

it's pretty much an adult gym class.

i don't think it should be the end all-be all of someones training. but if you want to do crossfit 2-3 times a week, on top of regular lifting, calesthenics, and running
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options

i don't think it should be the end all-be all of someones training. but if you want to do crossfit 2-3 times a week, on top of regular lifting, calesthenics, and running

I have to agree not only that cross fit can get to be really expensive. It is a fad. mind you a good fad but unless you have a large budget for your training than it probably isn't worth it. A good gym membership will serve you better
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I have to agree not only that cross fit can get to be really expensive. It is a fad. mind you a good fad but unless you have a large budget for your training than it probably isn't worth it. A good gym membership will serve you better

compared to a regular gym, that is true. but in my neighborhood there are other exercise studios, such as martial arts and boot camp. the price for them are just a little lower then crossfit.

a good crossfit box will usually have a 2-3 week ramp up or Basics class that is mandatory for new members. they will teach you the basics, and the lingo, so that you won't hold back a regular class.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I do power lifting and weight training three times a week alternating crossfit in three times a week. Crossfit has helped me with the cardio, stamina and over all flexibility. Hate running because of the pounding on the knees so I do crossfit. You could learn about it and pretty much do it at a regular gym or at home.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Just research Crossfit and incorporate some of those exercises into your own workout. The amount of money they charge is just silly. I think it's over $100.00 a month here now. My current gym membership is like $60 for a family.
  • sweattsg
    sweattsg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should drink the crossfit koolaid! I LOVE crossfit. I have been doing it for 7 months. I was always active and went to a globo-gym but with crossfit I feel much more well-rounded. At big gyms I am always tempted to just hop on a cardio machine and stay there when its busy (BORING). I have seen increases in my endurance and overall strength. I used to dread going to the gym but when I see the WOD posted on my gym's website in the morning I can't wait to get in there and tackle it!

PS- paying a high membership fee is one way to make sure that you actually show up regularly!
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When people say "It's like gym class for adults", is it a scheduled amount of time---i.e., classes at the Y near me are 50 mins-1hr. Or is it training on your own time?

I have the opportunity to get a pretty decent deal on CF that includes a gym membership, so I'm paying one (admittedly high) price but getting both, and I'm really tempted to try it. Cost is what was keeping me from it in the first place. I think I'm a good candidate for it. I already run a lot--- in fact I do that to the exclusion of nearly everything else---and I'm someone who does a whole lot better when I'm in a group setting with an instructor when it comes to non-running exercise.