Chicks Shave This???? HUH...

Options

Replies

• DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell, the article is not about shaving your face. It's about "dermaplaning." Which sounds more like exfoliation than something specifically for hair removal.

Also, shaving your face (or any other place) will NOT cause hair to grow back thicker. It's literally impossible since you are not changing the way it grows out of the follicle below the surface of the skin. It just feels coarser because the end is blunted. That's just common sense, folks.

Thank you! I've been a LICENSED cosmetologist for 15 years, and what you said is true. No need to get further into it. :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You can get tools for home dermaplaning at Sally's. Dermaplaning is just fancy face shaving by a dermatologist or licensed cosmetologist.

Folks, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor shaved their faces, as do many models. For some advertisements, it is mandatory.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes they do! In theory, it makes your face smoother while getting rid off hair. It also gets rid off death cells.
    I never wanted to test this theory. I will keep whatever fuzz I have on face since I don't want it looking like my SO!!

I promise you, you won't look like a dude if you dermaplane your face, people pay big bucks for it :wink: I've had microdermabrasion, and it felt the same (afterwards...like a light sunburn). Make sure you use some nice product on your face afterwards!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell, the article is not about shaving your face. It's about "dermaplaning." Which sounds more like exfoliation than something specifically for hair removal.

Also, shaving your face (or any other place) will NOT cause hair to grow back thicker. It's literally impossible since you are not changing the way it grows out of the follicle below the surface of the skin. It just feels coarser because the end is blunted. That's just common sense, folks.
    Gosh, I think I'm falling for you :P

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that no one else read the article.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love how many judgemental women there are who are like "ew that's gross I'm not a big ol' man woman thing!"

Seriously...if a girl grows facial hair she grows facial hair...it's genetic and out of their control. What IS in their control however is shaving/nairing/waxing that sh**.

No, shaving it is NOT going to make it grow back quicker. Despite what the person above who went to costmetology school says that's an absolute myth. Shaving does nothing more than shave off the layers that are above the surface of the skin. It does not alter your genetics and therefore will not alter the amount that grows back. If it did I'd look like cousin it. Just sayin'.
  • ReachingNEON
    ReachingNEON Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    .How does that make you a he woman? People have peach fuzz..I have peach fuzz..but I get rid of it. It is like calling a guy a girl because he has perfect fingernails. -_-... To the girl in the American Bikini.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    Only 4 areas I shave :wink:
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    no way!!! if u shave it grows back thicker!!! i never touch my face cuz.... uh.. obviously i dont have to lol im not a he woman..

this is true. and it grows back in sticking straight up and is never the same texture of hair again.

I only know this because I am a licensed cosmetologist, and they actually touched on this top in cosmo school and how awful it is to do :)

Hair can only grow back in as thick as the follicle allowed for in the first place. WTF school did you attend?

maybe "thicker" was not the right terminology used in the original post from I forget who. but it can and does change the texture.. you can start with "peach fuzz" type hair and shaving it you rick a possibility of growing back more of a "sandy" and "rougher" texture if you will.

No need to get snooty.. Pretty sure I went to a very accredited school, and have been doing this for 8 years.. yes, i know you have been in the industry longer... but I pride myself in this industry. and I am pretty sure Paul Mitchell is a very reputable school.
  • ReachingNEON
    ReachingNEON Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @Change.. LOL!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    um no
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options

4? I've got the obvious three down whats the fourth...lady parts...legs...underarms...

eyebrows possibly ? though that's a threading/tweezing thing

also wax to shaving and no-no to my face being shaved (it doesn't need it)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's for exfoliation not hair removal
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am totally a shaver...damp razor, no cream or gel...I get major peach fuzz in the mutton chop and under jaw area...my skin is way too sensitive for bleach, nair, or wax...30 seconds every couple of weeks and it's gone...not difficult, not gross, not a problem...at least for me...and it certainly doesn't keep my husband from wanting to bang me on a daily basis...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No effing way am I letting someone take a scalpel to my face to get rid of dead skin.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options

4? I've got the obvious three down whats the fourth...lady parts...legs...underarms...

Nope not my brows.... :blushing:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    no way!!! if u shave it grows back thicker!!! i never touch my face cuz.... uh.. obviously i dont have to lol im not a he woman..

this is true. and it grows back in sticking straight up and is never the same texture of hair again.

I only know this because I am a licensed cosmetologist, and they actually touched on this top in cosmo school and how awful it is to do :)

Hair can only grow back in as thick as the follicle allowed for in the first place. WTF school did you attend?

maybe "thicker" was not the right terminology used in the original post from I forget who. but it can and does change the texture.. you can start with "peach fuzz" type hair and shaving it you rick a possibility of growing back more of a "sandy" and "rougher" texture if you will.

No need to get snooty.. Pretty sure I went to a very accredited school, and have been doing this for 8 years.. yes, i know you have been in the industry longer... but I pride myself in this industry. and I am pretty sure Paul Mitchell is a very reputable school.

I think I'll take the word of a dermatology professor, who is referenced in an article that says the following "Shaving is more superficial than plucking. You’re cutting the hair shaft flush with your skin. When it grows back, the hair may seem thicker, but it’s not, we swear. The shorter new growth only feels thicker because it’s straight—and sticking straight out." You can see the rest of the article here: http://www.youbeauty.com/hair/plucking-and-shaving
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

^^This. Dermaplaning is a treatment which should be avoided by people who are heavily pigmented at risk of developing keloids or possible permanent discolouration. Many use it as a treatment option to treat severe acne scarring, wrinkles, stretch marks and surgery scars in an effort to level the outer layer of the skin.

EDIT to ADD: If any woman is suffering from facial hair growth, she should seek the advice and treatment from a Dermatologist and not a cosmetologist. If hair is growing there, other issues might need to be addressed. Maybe, a visit to an Endocrinologist might be in order.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options

I think I'll take the word of a dermatology professor, who is referenced in an article that says the following "Shaving is more superficial than plucking. You’re cutting the hair shaft flush with your skin. When it grows back, the hair may seem thicker, but it’s not, we swear. The shorter new growth only feels thicker because it’s straight—and sticking straight out." You can see the rest of the article here: http://www.youbeauty.com/hair/plucking-and-shaving

Yes, and I did not go thru an esthetics full training program, they just touched on it. My focus is primarily hair & makeup.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Nope not my brows.... :blushing:

I think I may have figured the fourth...but a little embarrassed to actually write it...hahah :blushing:
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    more girls need to shave above their *kitten* haha