How many calories burned?

Options
I do a few workout videos from the computer. They are both 30 minutes long. Cardio, and I start breathing a little heavy about 5 minutes in and im sweating by 10 minutes in. My heart rate gets up, but I have no idea how many calories I burned. The videos are pretty intense, when I first started, the warm up was hard for me (of course I was way out of shape). They do not use any wieghts or objects to help with the workout. So i figured about 160 calories burned... When i do the elliptical for 45 minutes I burn about 220 calories... am I right about the calories burned, or am I way off?

Replies

• AngelaRae23
    Options
    throw it into the "cardio" section under "track exercise" and it should give you a rough estimate of how many cals you burned doing cardio for however long you input
  • ajl7053
    Options
    Suggest you get a heart rate monitor. My daughter bought me one, and it is terrific. It tells you how many calories you've burned when you exercise no matter what type of exercise you are doing. I've found that most of the time I overestimated how many calories I was burning.
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know some people purchase a calorie counting watch w/ a heart rate monitor. I like the following website with the calorie burned calculator. I plugged in your current weight of 149 and put in 30 mins of low impact aerobics, and it calculated 205 calories burned.

Here is the website: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I do exercise videos, and I enter them as either Aerobics, general or Aerobics, high impact depending on how intense I find the workout. I add the stretching portions seperately under Mild Stretching.
  • davidbrereton
    Options
    I work out at a club on their elliptical. It so matters what you weigh and your heart rate. These machines factor in resistance levels as well. I use the random setting that takes your normal setting then increases resistance then back to normal resistance randomly. It would be like going up hill on a bike, then level again. The only way to know for sure is to get the monitors people are talking about. I don't have one yet so I count on the numbers I'm getting from the Life Fitness machines at the club. I go really hard (85% max. heart rate) for an hour and the machine says 600+ calories. For home workouts get the gizmo. Then you really know what your food allowances should be.
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • davidbrereton
    Options
    After just replying a couple of minutes ago I went to the health status web site mentioned in your forum. I put in my weight and it gave me 1100 calories for 60 minutes. Again, the Life Fitness machines at the club gave me 750 cal/hr at full burn. That's at 215 lbs, 135 heart rate. Always use the lesser # to be sure you are on track. Good question, good luck.
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    I think your best option is to get a heart rate monitor. Meet with a personal trainer one time to help them set up your monitor and that way it will accurately measure calories burned. I swear by mine! It's awesome. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!!

548355.png