Hulahoop

Options
Does anyone else hula? I was given one as a joke by my sister- but I've really grown to like it, and can do 45 mins....Have started looking at basic tricks.

Replies

• kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    lol haha i got one for my daughter for Christmas and tried it just to see if i could still do it. Turns out i still can XD
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have one but have lost the knack!!!!! Any tips greatly appreciated!!! lol
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's great exercise really
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What, no creepy guys have posted with requests for videos of this activity yet?

That's odd. It usually doesn't take this long...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What, no creepy guys have posted with requests for videos of this activity yet?

That's odd. It usually doesn't take this long...

Dear OP:

I am sorry that I killed your thread.

That is all.

Thanks,
    jofjltncb6
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can do it for about 1 minute on a good day. its great that you can do it for that long.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I can throw it out in front of me and make it come back.
  • 6Penguins6
    Options
    I hoop! Absolutely love it! I used to go to hula hoop/dance/exercise classes but haven't been able to find one since I moved town so now I just have to practice in the car park in front of my house!

What type of hoop are you using?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I hoola hoop but not while I'm doing yoga.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop. What's up with that.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My mum bought me one of those weighted hoops but I'm pretty bad at it. I should practice more though as my neighbor swears by it.
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have tried for years to hula and i still cant do it!! However, the trying still managed to make the muscles in my midriff ache so was still doing something!! I wont give up, I will master it eventually lol :)
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have tried for years to hula and i still cant do it!! However, the trying still managed to make the muscles in my midriff ache so was still doing something!! I wont give up, I will master it eventually lol :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I was never able to do it at all, even as a kid. But I bought a large hoop at the beginning of December last year. I could get it to go around for 4 rotations, then I had to bend down to pick it up. That was my calorie burn! Bending down a million times. But I kept practicing and after a few months I was able to go around for 100 rotations. (Yeah, I count everything, lol) Now I have a weighted hoop. I like to do 200 rotations, then stop and do some light dumbell work for 2 minutes. I repeat this until I get to 30 minutes total. I've read that hooping burns about the same amount of calories and brisk walk. Plus, it's so good for your core strength and agility. I love it, and I usually put it into my workout routine about once every other week. I should try to learn some tricks, that would be fun.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

That's how I was, lol. It was so hard to figure it out! Try putting one foot slightly ahead of the other, for some reason that helps with the learning process. And bend our knees a bit so you're almost in a 1/2 squat or 1/2 lunge position, but not quite that deep. Also, remember that your hips need to go front to back, not around and around. Think about *pushing* the hoop, not turning it.
  • mommymeepa
    mommymeepa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The bigger the hoop the easier it is to learn. My hoop is actually called THE BIG BERTHA.

I go to a hooping/dance/aerobics class. I bought my hoop from them. It is offered twice a week and I try to go both days, but mainly go once. It is amazing. My heart rate is up the whole time and it is a lot of fun. They actually do the dancing and aerobics while hooping. I'm not there yet, but can finally walk a little while hooping.

Try and find a class if you can.
  • mommymeepa
    mommymeepa Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Put one foot forward a little and the other one back andmove front to back not in a circular motion. Also, the bigger the hoop the easier it is cause it doesn't have to move as fast.

Good Luck. It's a lot of fun.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Me me, I do I do! I have a weighted hulahoop that I ordered from curves. Omg what a great
    workout! My abs really hurt the day after! I rotate directions every 15 minutes while watching TV.
  • Lirin1
    Lirin1 Posts: 9
    Options
    6- It's a weighted hoop, 65cm I think. I can only really do basic stuff, as a lack of space prevents me from doing inventive tricks! Really good for building up abdominal, leg and butt muscles.