the things my bf calls me...

Options
My bf and I have been together forever. He is really supportive in almost everything I do. He tells me I am beautiful, sexy, pretty etc.

3 months ago we both decided to join the gym, eat better and live a healthier lifestyle. At some point when I asked him about my body...he called me thick.

At 5'7 and about 145 or so at the time... I didn't feel THICK. I figured THICK meant 'big boned' or 'not slim' ...I didnt feel either...I felt I was lucky to be my size and scarf down whatever...whenever. At first, I was a little taken back so I googled what THICK meant, and most definitions were refering to women with curves.

Today I took my 3rd progress pics and now I can see what he meant. I am currently 138lbs and I have toned up quite a bit. You can see some muscles under the skin and I still have a proportionate figure. Today I am proud to be THICK. I am strong and womanly...

What names/classifications have people put on you and how did you feel about it?

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I would take it if my husband called me thick. i would probably be like you and be a little put-off until I understood what he meant. Guys can say things and mean it in a totally innocuous way, but we women will take it another way!!!

One time I was talking about how I used to play college soccer and was really fast and an awesome forward, yada, yada, yada and how I was frustrated that I was no longer as fast as I used to be. He said something like "well, you weren't as heavy back then". I was so offended, but the truth is, he was seriously talking about my extra mass, and weight in a truthful, objective manner as guys do. LOL!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a good thing. 145 and 5'7" is a healthy weight. I thought it was considered a compliment by a man....
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My bf was rubbing my feet one evening and he said, "Wow, you have big legs." I am very self-conscious about that - I carry a lot of weight in my lower half and I have huge calves. He went on to say he thought I should be good at certain sports with big strong legs... but he also would like me to lose a few pounds. I think he just blurted it out without thinking but I didn't like it.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've been called thick before, too. The guy got really mad when I informed him that it wasn't a compliment. He said it was.

Eye of the beholder type thing, I think.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    'I love your squishy bits'. And not in reference to my boobs either.

He would always say this when grabbing onto my hips or butt and it made me REALLY super self-conscious. But he tells me he genuinely meant it. Cellulite and all, he really did like those 'squishy' parts of me.

Sucks for him that they're vanishing as I'm working out. Hopefully he likes the new, firmer me too!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I much prefer using "thick" as a descriptor meaning "stupid".
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a good thing. 145 and 5'7" is a healthy weight. I thought it was considered a compliment by a man....

I agree that's a good weight. I'm 5'7" and 149 is my GOAL weight. "Curvy" might be a compliment but I'd have a problem with "thick."

When I was 14 my mom said I was "sturdy." She meant strong, but I hated it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    A colleague of mine called me 'stocky'. For real? I'm 5'9", 135 pounds, 20% body fat, and wear a size 4. When I responded 'That's mean!', he told me that 'stocky' was a compliment. But, it still sounds insulting to me.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    So when I called my woman FAT she didn't take it as being Fine And Tasty?
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My mom told my relatives, in front of me, that I'm too skinny, I look anorexic, and the gym ruined my body. But I'm 5'5", 125, and 18% BF. I eat healthy and work with a trainer. So yea... we're still not speaking. :explode:
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    "amazon". Really dude?

Please, make me feel like a beautiful woman by calling me "amazon".

He suffered for that one.

ETA: He's an ex now. :-)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    So when I called my woman FAT she didn't take it as being Fine And Tasty?

No not at first- this is one that should be explained in great detail!!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    "amazon". Really dude?

Please, make me feel like a beautiful woman by calling me "amazon".

He suffered for that one.

ETA: He's an ex now. :-)
    But that is a way of saying, "Damn, you are SUPER sexy girl!!!" Honestly, no joke.
    This is what comes to mind:
    6638137.jpg
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    "Thick" means you're not a skinny little wafe and he LIKES it. Ladies need to realize that all men aren't attracted to the fragile little sticks on the modeling runways and magazine covers.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    If someone called me thick he'd be gone. Sorry, not what I'd want to hear.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The sentiment is fine, the word "thick"...not so much, at least as it pertains to women. Personally though, I like my men a little on the "thick" side ;)
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure all women like their men a little on the "thick" side. Oh... that's not what you meant. hah
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    "Thick" means you're not a skinny little wafe and he LIKES it. Ladies need to realize that all men aren't attracted to the fragile little sticks on the modeling runways and magazine covers.

Maybe... I get that! However a guy needs to realize certain words have negative connotation!! If a guy called me "thick" he'd be lucky to not get punched! I know it's hard for you guys to find the right word sometimes, but the classic "honey you look great" still works!! ;)
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the response! It's very interesting to see what some women consider as an insult, others feel is a compliment.

In my opinion, in the end... NOTHING my man calls me will define me. I am working hard to feel and look MY best.

Keep up the good work ladies and gents and best of luck on your journey!
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ps I changed my profile pic to my 'progress' (tan progress?!) so you all can see my thickness lol.