Weight Loss Question

Options
So I already asked a question,"Why am I not losing weight" and people said," Losing 1-1.5 pounds is good enough." Which was how much I was losing. So I was like ehh okay that's fine. And really, December was horrible. I totally ignored exercising and only started going back to the gym 2 days ago for 1-2 hours. I still ate every 2-3 hours cuz I'm kinda used to it. Now, I'm back to exercising and eating 'better.' I weighed 160 in the beginning of the month and now am 158. But when I look in the mirror it looks like I GAINED weight. I know 2 pounds isn't that much but I look the same as I was when I weighed 165. Why is this happening to me???!?! :cry:

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You likely do not have a very realistic view of your own body. Happens to a lot of people - what you feel you look like isn't necessarily how others would see you.

Or realistic expectations - not a whole lot is going to happen in 2 days of going to the gym. Give it some time.
  • rose944
    rose944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First of all, to lose weight you need to stay on a diet and exersise plan even if it is the holidays or you're on vacation. Also, if you really want to lose weight, stay away from bread, anything fried, creamy, fatty, and especially anything fast food. Another thing is you need to make an exercise schedule to keep in balance and get at least 30 minuets of some exercise every day. Resist high calorie dishes when going out to eat and order a large salad instead but ask for the dressing on the side because restaraunts tend to add way too much and turn a healthy dish into a high calorie meal. Drinking lots of water also helps flush the fat out of your body. If you are on the run and need a snack, skip the chips and pack nuts and fruit to fill you and give you the energy you need. Follow this diet plan and your body image will change greatly.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    You can lose weight without going to extremes. You definitely don't have to cut out everything you like. Losing weight isn't about how fast you do it, it's about consistency. Completely cutting out bread and only eating bland salads when you go out to eat, is not really a weight loss solution. Besides, most people don't go out to eat that often. I go out to eat once every two or three months, so when I eat out, I'm eating something I enjoy. I'm not spending $15 on a salad I could've made easily at home.

The holidays are hard for everyone, it's okay to slip up a little. Not to mention the winter, I know the cold weather doesn't make it easy to stay consistent lol. I don't know about you, but I feel like a bear, and my body is fighting me to prepare for hibernation. It is important to be mindful of what we eat on the holidays and all that, but it's okay to let loose a little. Holiday dinners are about family and good, nostalgic food, so you're going to over eat a little. Just don't beat yourself up over it. Know that it's okay, and tomorrow you'll go back to your normal routine. You had a not so great month, but it's in the past. What's important is that you're back on track now.

And honestly, it sounds like the issue your facing now, like the first person to respond stated, is definitely more self-image based than anything else. I think right now, you're feeling down about the weight gain, so your outward perception of yourself is skewed. Even though you're back on track, you still feel guilty and angry with yourself. But like I said before, we all slip up, and we all make mistakes, it's okay. You're obviously doing well, you're already doing what you need to do, just keep at it, and you will continue to see results. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will see a change. Try not to focus on your appearance, or even the scale as much. Think of your exercise routine and everything as something you're doing for your health, for your body, to feel good about yourself. Think of it as something you're not doing for outward results. Exercise is good for our mental health, it fights depression, stress, helps us to think more clearly, function more efficiently, and pretty much anything you can think of. So you're doing this for you. Trust me, the results will follow. And the less you focus on the mirror, the more you may notice a change. Writing at 3 in the morning, I'm not entirely sure how much sense that just made lol. But I hope this helped.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I think we all have those days. As a woman I get bloating on certain days of the month and I've actually measured my abdomen and it's 3 inches larger than normal!

If you stopped strength training you could be feeling less "firm" as well.