My 100 lb journey (with pictures)

Options
13»

Replies

• edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    First- you are super cute!
    Second- way to go with taking your time and doing it right.
    Third- I have 100 to lose (well, 80 now) and you're a great inspiration! Thanks!
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm blown away, you went from John Belushi to Steve Jobs. I see before and after pictures and I can see that it's the same person only thinner, but you look like a different personality type altogether. It's wild.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You took control of your life and got your life back! Keep it off!!!
  • EowynRuns
    Options
    Congrats! You look like a completely different person (even reminded me of the 10th Doctor Who in that one picture!), great job!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Wow, great progress. If you are not doing so already, I'd suggest adding weight training to your routine. It makes a tremendous difference in how you are able to get around and though the scale may not reflect losses, you clothing will show them... And you can reshape your body the way you want it to look. Super job and way to keep it off.
  • OVERWEIGHTLUVA
    OVERWEIGHTLUVA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on a healthier you!!!!!
  • chiselfuture
    chiselfuture Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments! You all truly made me smile this morning. :smile: My wonderful and supportive girlfriend (who I met partway through my journey after I had gained new self-confidence to go out and do so) was the one who encouraged me to post my story since I'd been feeling annoyed at myself for slipping and gaining 10 lbs over the past 3 months. Now I'm trying to persuade her to write about herself. She's needed some encouragement as well.

I'm going to reply to a few people personally who raised specific points. And to the rest of you who gave me kudos, again, thank you all so much. :smile:
  • michellevine1
    michellevine1 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Seiously incredible. Amazing. Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats!
  • chiselfuture
    Options
    Wow!
    I'm always interested in hearing the trigger for the change. I bet your health is now at an ALL TIME HIGH! way to go!

I had tried to lose weight while I was in college, with mixed success. Honestly, I think the crappy college food (and easy availability of junk) hampered me, as well as a lack of knowledge. After graduating, I fooled myself into believing that despite my worsening lifestyle changes (like eating whatever I wanted, all the time) my weight hadn't changed — despite increasingly many small signals that it had.

For example, I remember that my feet would get semi-numb and generally ache (especially my toes) if I would stand for a few hours at a time, but I chalked it up to just "what happens." (I guess from too much pressure on the nerves.) Or, I would get out of breath if I ran up a flight of stairs. Or, of course, the awful, semi-omnipresent sweatiness — it seemed like no matter what I did, I would sweat through the armpits of my shirts... and the back, and my sides. (Sorry if that's a bit gross to read but it's true. Today, I barely need to wear more than a swipe of deodorant to stay clean smelling and I have no more gross "body sweats" at all. I had no idea at the time that was even possible.)

The worst part, though, was that I just generally felt bad about myself. I had no self-confidence, so I never went out, and so I stayed single. I didn't dress as nicely as I could (because I wanted to hide my body) or keep myself sharp-looking (I would cut my hair and facial hair in such a way to try to "hide" my face fat). I didn't think I was hideous but I definitely didn't consider myself attractive. (Today, I can't even stand to wear a shirt that isn't tightly-fitted :smile:.)

So, I guess my impetus for change was no huge thing like a heart attack (thank god), but a buildup of tiny annoyances and a feeling of desperation. I was tired of inhabiting a body that I didn't like. I guess I had to hit bottom before I could go back up.
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What an awesome transformation!! Congrats on all your hard work! Thanks for sharing and helping to inspire!
  • chiselfuture
    Options
    Congratulations. I'm glad you shared, I'm similar to your story but just starting my journey. I know I've got a lot of hard work and learning ahead of me but I am looking forward to it (at least for now, I'm sure there will be days I won't feel that way :quote: ) Reading your story just gives me that little boost. thanks.
    Our heights and starting weights are very similar. I'm working on the same journey myself, and seeing your success story is very encouraging. Congratulations and wish me luck.
    First- you are super cute!
    Second- way to go with taking your time and doing it right.
    Third- I have 100 to lose (well, 80 now) and you're a great inspiration! Thanks!

My best wishes to all of you (and everyone working to become fit). My main advice is to trust that if what you are doing has worked, it will continue to work, even if and when you stall; and, to see your change as a change in lifestyle. It isn't enough to eat only grapefruit and steamed kale every day and never allow yourself a piece of cake. You've got to live your life in such a way that you can indulge yourself, but not to excess, and go back to what you used to do. (You all probably know this all already. :smile:)

Don't be afraid to reach out for support — here, other websites, or from your friends and family. The encouragement I got from the people in my life that I was doing something right was what gave me the strength go keep going even when I wasn't sure I was seeing results. (That became reward enough in its own right later on. Fitness can get addictive.)
  • chiselfuture
    Options
    Wow, great progress. If you are not doing so already, I'd suggest adding weight training to your routine. It makes a tremendous difference in how you are able to get around and though the scale may not reflect losses, you clothing will show them... And you can reshape your body the way you want it to look. Super job and way to keep it off.

Yes! I started out doing only cardio, then moved into a mixture of cardio and weight training, and later went between doing only weights and a mixture of both. One of my current mental blocks is about having dropped off lifting for some time and losing much of the strength progress I had made. (I injured myself a few weeks ago trying to go back to where I was before actually. :grumble: )

Do you have any good resources for building and sticking to a strength training program? One of the difficulties I had was with making strength gains while maintaining a calorie deficit, since they seem like goals somewhat at odds.
  • chiselfuture
    Options
    Finally, to everyone complimenting my looks today, my girlfriend would tell you that you can look but not touch :laugh: I'll try not to let it go to my head. :smile:

You all are the inspiration for me. Thanks for setting a model for me to follow.
  • downtheadders
    downtheadders Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you look great! Nice job!
  • Roxymama29
    Options
    Great job! Talk about being an inspiration :) !!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!