I've hit a wall

Options
So I have been doing this for almost a month and I've started getting board with my food...and the foods I've been eating this whole diet arn't keeping me full like they used to...I don;t know what to do...I don't know of a lot of good healthy recipes or food ideas...I eat special K for breakfast, a home made fruit/protien smoothie or chicken wrap for lunch and sometimes dinner, and when I'm not having a wrap for dinner I have whatever my sis is cookin for dinner...and for snacks I have rice crackers with babybel cheese, lara bars, fruit, or I'll cheat on snacks.....

I'm so bored with this and my stomach and taste buds are like 'really? this again?'.....but i dont know what to do....any advise??

Replies

• b1rdbones
    b1rdbones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hey! a couple things i snack on when i dont want to tack on a bunch of calories or get super unhealthy are : celery (negative calories and super healthy!), seaweed strips *dried out* (these arent filling but they sure help with salt cravings!) , clementines, snap peas, and my favorite PICKLES. pickles have a very small amount of calories while not being super small snacks and able to fill you up a bit and they're super great for salty cravings. hope i helped c: good luck
  • vintagejewel
    vintagejewel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What about egg whites, nuts, sugar free jello and cool whip, Greek yogurt, protein shakes
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Hi there! What a gorgeous baby! Awesome that you are doing this for yourself and your baby at such a young age ... that's being a great mom. Looking over what you mention that you are eating, I am seeing lots of carbs, and if you are anything like me, I get very hungry when I am eating a diet high in carbs. A low carb/high protein diet keeps me full and happy ... but that's just me. Best of luck to you! If you are interested and want some additional info, let me know and I can provide you with a bit, as well as steer you to a few sites.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I was looking over your diary and for the most part its okay. There are a lot of processed food though which made me think you are eating a lot of sodium. Sodium can keep the weight on if its too high.
    I would try cleaning up the types of foods your eating. I am completely guilty of that too, so I understand how easy it is to fall into that trap of "easy food". Instead of the seasoned Hillshire chicken breasts try getting some raw chicken breast and cooking it at the beginning of the week and pre package them. Cut out the fast food to only once a week. Make your own pizza. Be careful on sugar. Cut the regular chips out for lower cal option like flatbread ones or low cal crackers.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    You need to consult some cookery books! :) That's what I'm doing - I know exactly what you mean. I'm even bored of peanut butter! (Shhh, don't tell anyone, I'll be accused of being a troll :p)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There are a huge variety of diet friendly wholefoods, look at your diary and note how often you are eating each food and from each food group then look for alternatives when in the store. Ideally you would have nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day in the full rainbow of colours blue/ purple, red, orange/ yellow, dark green), three servings of reduced fat dairy, oily fish regularly, plenty of mineral rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils) and so on. Instead you are eating a lot of processed foods and repeats, limited fibre. You also don't have any fruit or veggies at breakfast which makes it difficult to get in your nine servings but could be used to make breakfast more interesting and fill you up for few calories.

Instead of chicken have lean beef or pork, white fish, oily fish, eggs or half fat cheeses, instead of potatoes and wraps have any beans or lentils, instead of Special K have oatmeal, muesli or low sugar granola, eat way more green veggies, bell peppers, squashes, berries and citrus, instead of peanut butter have pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds. Foods that keep you feeling full include protein, fibre, water and to a lesser extent healthy fats (nuts, seeds, cocoa, avocado, olives, coconut).
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job of staying within your calories. You are to be congratulated. Now just vary up the menu.

I see that for breakfast, you usually have just Special k and almond milk. Buy fresh berries or bananas and put some fresh fruit on the cereal - different fruit every day. You can do half a cup of blackberries for just 30-ish calories and they are so sweet this time of year! Or go crazy and have an entire cup of blackberries with your cereal for 60 calories. Blueberries with cereal are wonderful, too.

Instead of chicken every day, definitely vary your proteins; lean beef, pork, tuna fish, fresh shrimp. Are you trying different seasonings with your proteins? Try cumin, fajita seasoning, lemon pepper, marjoram --- herbs are your friends! Try cocoa powder or salsa on your chicken! Experiment!

And there's more to vegetables than spinach - one week try red-leaf lettuce, do a spring mix next week, then go with broccoli slaw (my favorite, especially if you add dried cranberries, almonds, and some bleu cheese crumbles!)

For more quick veg choices: Buy some snow peas, hit with a spray of olive oil and some herbs, put in the microwave for two minutes (or, if you have a microwave with sensor, press the "fresh vegetables" button) and you have an instant, delicious side dish. (Hmmmmm, I haven't done this in awhile... off to the supermarket for some snow peas!)
    If you don't have time to chop peppers, buy them pre-diced and do the same as above: add onions/mushrooms, hit with spray of olive oil, spices, put in microwave for three minutes. Great with lean beef. Or mix with a couple eggs or egg whites for a great egg dish. I do the whole thing in the microwave (yes, the eggs, too), which is quick prep and quick cleanup.

Instead of the flatwraps, try different bread products - sandwich thins, whole wheat crackers. Or try some cus-cus. Add flavorful items to your carbs for variety: peanut butter, speculoos spread, sugar-free jam, lite mayo, goat cheese.

Don't forget the "extras' that help make a salad or wrap or side dish special: a little dried fruit, or fresh fruit, a half tablespoon of nuts or seeds. Or if you want a great desert, try fresh berries with a couple tablespoons of whipped cream.

You're doing great. Just remember to treat yourself with food that's special. This is a life-style change. Eat food you enjoy!