which exercise machines burn the most calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the bike and elliptical. Also, don't base your calorie burn on what the machines say or what MFP has listed as burn. Invest in an HRM. The machines at the gym regularly give me about 100-150 more than I actually burn. And MFP - I'll do an hour of intervals on the bike. I'll burn 500 calories according to my HRM. According to MFP, it is 800 calories. And according to the bike at the gym it was around 700. HIIT is probably the most effective couple with heavy lifting - you burn fewer calories while lifting, but you burn more overall as you build muscle - if you are lifting heavy. if you are lifting pink weights, if you aren't sore, you aren't lifting heavy.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting. That is all.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, and warrior ropes. Great way to mix it up!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical's that have heart rate sensor's attached. I'm 28 years old and 248 lbs and I generally shoot for a target heart rate of 151, which can burn about 400 calories every 30-35 minutes. I like the elliptical with cardio programs because they adjust the difficulty to increase my heart rate then adjust to keep me there. Keeps my workout honest and ensures I'm maximizing my workout.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are probably 8 different machines at the YMCA where I go. Two different kinds of elliptical, one with arm movement and another without. stairsteppers, recumbent bike, stationary bike, treadmills etc.

A lot is going to depend on your intesity, but if intesity is equal, of those I'd guess that either the eliptical with arms or the stairstepper would burn the most. If they have one of those cross country skiing machines, that would likely burn more.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd chose a different machine each day rather than the same one all the time. That way you're using different muscles, and also your body isn't going to get used to just one type of movement.

One thing I like to do with a limited amount of gym time is an indoor triathlon - 10 mins rowing, 10 cycling, 10 running. Add in a few sets of ab exercises and that's 45 minutes well spent.

I used to do this as well, but I'd do distance rather than time.

The rower is the best whole body exercise, in that it uses the most muscles of any of the cardio machines/exercises. More muscles used=more calories burned.

Have a look at HIIT as well, intervals may be your best bet for getting the most out of your cardio time. The rower isn't the best for this though, the treadmill, bke or elliptical would be suitable.

Increased oxygen uptake=increased calorie burn, regardless of how many muscles are used. An activity that "uses more muscles" does not have any inherent advantage for calorie burning. Someone working at 10 METs on a bike, for example, will burn the same calories as someone working at 10 METs on a rower.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are probably 8 different machines at the YMCA where I go. Two different kinds of elliptical, one with arm movement and another without. stairsteppers, recumbent bike, stationary bike, treadmills etc.

A lot is going to depend on your intesity, but if intesity is equal, of those I'd guess that either the eliptical with arms or the stairstepper would burn the most. If they have one of those cross country skiing machines, that would likely burn more.

If intensity is equal, then calorie burn must be equal as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Which one do you think it the most efficient and burns the most fat???

OK, fat and calories are different things. Calorie deficit is more about what you eat than how much training you do, although training gives you more flexibility around what you eat.

To answer the question in your headline, I find that proper running burns the most calories, although that doesn't involve a machine. Rowing works more of the body and subject to the session can get pretty close in terms of calorie expenditure.

In terms of biasing your training towards fat loss, that means you need to do training that optimises retention of lean mass; weight bearing CV and/ or resistance training. So running, rowing and cycling as your CV and some resistance training. Personally I run a lot and do some resistance training, I've reduced my bodyfat percentage by over a third in a year of doing that. That said, I find lifting incredibly dull, so tend not to do much of that.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your effort, you can't get on a treadmill and read a book or watch tv. Mind muscle connection, think about what you're doing and what you're going to do next.

But the answer is the barbell. :glasses:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The medical waste furnace at a weight loss surgerly hospital.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Depends what you can get the intensity up on doesn't it? Personally, I can't jog for **** so I can't get up a good intensity on a treadmill, but if I whack the elliptical on a hill-climbing interval and I can get my heart rate up...but more importantly sustain it for 30 minutes or so. The odd thing about ellipticals mind you is that I notice most women on them at my gym put them on the weight loss setting and barely break a sweat in the 30 minute program because the resistance is almost non-existent.

Rowing is bloody good - but again, if you can only sustain it for 5-10 minutes you're probably best with something else.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Your own body is the only machine you need.

Burpees
    Mlountain climbers
    Turkish get-ups
    Pull-ups
    V-sits
    Step-ups on a box or chair

maybe one set of each; 3 or 4 cycles of the whole circuit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rowing is bloody good - but again, if you can only sustain it for 5-10 minutes you're probably best with something else.

Or work at it until you can sustain it for longer...

Can't improve if you don't train
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That Jacobs Ladder looks like a killer! First time I have seen it. Would never see it in my crappy gym.

I stick to Elliptical. Has done wonders for my Cardio and capacity! Nice bonus of having a few more calories. But dont get stuck on burning calories for weightloss, and which machine is better. Its what you put in your gate thats gonna give you the fat loss you are talking about.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The one that you will do.
    The one that you will work hard on