New Food Group....COSTCO!

Options
I went sample crazy at Costco today. Does anyone here actually count those calories or do you just do a quick add guesstimation of calories? Personally, I don't count them, because Costco day is my cheat day anyway, so it kinda works out.

Just curious what everyone else does.

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hehehe haven't been to Costco since I started here. Moved a few months ago, and the nearest one is over an hour away. hehehe Oh man! I can't help but laugh at the thought! I cannot go to Costco without getting their pizza! It is some of the best pizza anywhere!! I love that stuff! I was eating Costco pizza like 3 or 4 times a week when I still lived in WA… I tell ya, if I went to Costco today, I would have some no questions asked!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If it's food, then it's calories. Guess how much you ate, log it.

Cheat days only mean you are cheating yourself :) That's why I have not had one.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt count it only because its such a small amount. Now if a sample was a slice of pizza, then yeah but if its a 1x1in square then no i wouldnt.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "Cheat days" get a bad reputation. You aren't cheating yourself. You are treating yourself to life.
    If you feel you are always depriving yourself of things you are certain to fail.

But if you have a new healthy lifestyle that lifestyle will typically exclude some past guilty pleasures.

Indulge once in a while without guilt and I would be willing to guess that in time the desire for those guilty pleasures will change to other things, and pretty sure your guilty please becomes something more healthy.

Anyway, that has been my experience.
  • Kar3n84
    Kar3n84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Costco fan myself. I personally wouldn't worry about logging it. If that is your cheat day and that is the only thing you're eating in addition to your daily allowance of calories. It's not worth the hassle. At the end of the week, you're still in a deficit of calories. Plus, all that walking around in that huge warehouse will help burn some of those added calories.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate calories and add them. Created a "food" for myself called COSTCO Snacks and add the calories that way so I remember what it was I ate.
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    COSTCO can kill a diet if you let it! :-)

On a positive note, Costco can be a great help for an improved diet. Always buy their frozen fish (Tilapia, Salmon, trout), I have even got my wife and kids loving broiled fish night!

It is always a battle when I am done checking out and see the snack bar ... FROZEN YOGURT is soooooo hard to refuse. But at about 300-400 calories, I make it a treat once in a while.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love Costco! Everything counts for me, if not, it's a slippery slope to backsliding. I think counting also helps to create more of an understanding of "is it worth it?" for each food. I notice it's helped me to be more considerate when deciding if I really want to eat something... like David's cookies, cheesecake, fudge, chicken pot pie, spinach dip, ETC.

Love love love shopping trips to Costco!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    When I try them I look at the nutritional information, and estimate the number of calories in what I ate. Usually it is a quarter serving or less. Total all of them in my head, and log that. Usually it is not much more that 200 or 250 calories. Sometimes much less.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Pizza
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the food court. I'm only talking about the little samples. My trainer, who watches my diet like a hawk, told me to have a cheat day. If not, I would go crazy.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Isn't the rule:

If you don't use a knife, fork and napkin there's no calories ???:laugh: (December 25 thru December 31 that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Seriously tho...dependent upon whether you were due a 'cheat day' I count high....100 calories per sample and use the 'Quick Add' function.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, Costco is easier to get to than my local grocery store. So I do a Costco run at least once a week. After awhile it's easy to bypass the free food.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt count it only because its such a small amount. Now if a sample was a slice of pizza, then yeah but if its a 1x1in square then no i wouldnt.

There might be a lot of calories in that 1x1 square though. Seriously.

I don't eat samples anymore. I don't bother. If I see a sample thing out, I purposefully make sure I don't look at it.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    COSTCO can kill a diet if you let it! :-)

On a positive note, Costco can be a great help for an improved diet. Always buy their frozen fish (Tilapia, Salmon, trout), I have even got my wife and kids loving broiled fish night!

It is always a battle when I am done checking out and see the snack bar ... FROZEN YOGURT is soooooo hard to refuse. But at about 300-400 calories, I make it a treat once in a while.

This is why I go to a yogurt place. They have low cal frozen yogurt with no sugar added for 20 calories per ounce. <3 it! it's yummy, delicious. However, I don't really go there much anymore, as it is winter and all. Once summer hits though, I'll be going there a lot ^_^
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm a new Costco member, so I've only been there once on Samples Day, and it was a day that I had to be in and out super-quickly, so I haven't specifically dealt with this yet. I'd say give a reasonable estimate and do a quick add.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I'm a new Costco member, so I've only been there once on Samples Day, and it was a day that I had to be in and out super-quickly, so I haven't specifically dealt with this yet. I'd say give a reasonable estimate and do a quick add.
    Every day is sample day… it depends on what time you go!! hehehe. Pizza.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the samples, but for reasons that are completely unrelated to weightloss--they almost always involve meat or dairy, two things I don't eat.

Edited to add: I do sometimes eat the samples a Whole Foods though, since they tend to have more stuff that is consistent with my eating habits. Oh, and the fruit samples, because it's nice to know the mangos and grapes taste good before you buy them.
  • connette51
    connette51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just came from there with my daughter-in-law. Love the samples. I counted everything as closely as I could. We did avoid the
    dessert area, but only because I don't like red velvet cake and that is what they were serving. Every bite counts when you are trying to lose weight. You are just fooling yourself if you don't log everything. You can eat a LOT of calories at Costco sample stations!
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Every day is sample day… it depends on what time you go!! hehehe. Pizza.

Too funny! The pizza is very tasty! The hot turkey sandwiches are my downfall right now. I have to walk away without looking...but every once and awhile I enjoy one.
    The samples do not bother me. I can walk by without even thinking about it. If I did indulge in a few samples I would probably add as quick calories and not think about it again. Unless it was a cheat day, then I wouldn't bother I would just enjoy!! Agree with other posters life is too short to not enjoy the things we love in moderation.